Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Couple of thoughts here
-Ullmark had all the tough/crucial matchups, so to have better stats over his career and also this past season (1.89 + .938 vs 2.27 + .920 in 2023) is impressive
-Same point also explains why Swayman would get more shutouts, he got the easier games
-These points also contradict the "systems" argument, if the system is the reason for his Vezina performance, why was there a .38 GAA and .018 % difference at all, especially when Ullmark got the tougher matchups?

Yea i dunno, I just don't love the system argument. No matter how you slice it the guy is about to win the Vezina. Saying anyone in his position could have done that is sort of an insult to the great season he just had. I didn't watch all the Bruins games but I did watch Ullmark dominate us and help Bruins collect points every time he played the Pens.

It just doesn't seem right to think a Vezina winner will come back to earth in Pittsburgh, but feel confident rolling with a Varlomov+Korpisalo pairing. Just feels like rolling the dice on another Jarry/DeSmith combo to me.

And last point, and maybe the most important one of all. Ullmark's contract lines up pretty much perfectly to our window (2 years) at an incredible value (5 million). While I like Helle, we basically only get one chance with him in '23/'24 and then we either let him walk or sign him to a big extension. With Ullmark we have 2 years to assess the situation again in 2025. Big difference.
One of the best reasons to want Ullmark is he proved himself in the toughest of situations in Buffalo. As shit as the Pens are, they aren't gonna be Buffalo circa 2015-2021. Hellebuyck is used to shining under miserable conditions too.
Whereas Swayman is unproven with weaker defenses. Even last year he had a 107 point team, which ranked 4th in GA/G. So we dunno what his resilience level is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Frederic would be great as a tough guy who can actually play regular minutes, I think he'd be a terrific guy to add for the 3rd line. But with that being said, I think people may be expecting the Bruins to lose way more players than they're actually going to lose. Seravalli was speculating that they may not qualify him due to the risk with arbitration, but I don't think that will be true if they clear out a lot of money between now and free agency.

Like yeah, the Bruins are going to have to sell off multiple pieces like Ullmark, Grzelyck, Hall, DeBrusk and such. But at the same time, they're not going to sell off every single guy making money. I think they end up only moving Ullmark and Grzelyck, with potentially moving Hall to open up money to re-sign DeBrusk. I think Frederic would only hit UFA or be traded if they can't move enough money before free agency opens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Frederic is still pretty young, same age as DOC, so there might be some more upside there. But other teams know that and he’ll get paid for what he *could* do.

Man Boston is so screwed.. They have 75 million tied up in 7 forwards, 7 D and 1 goalie.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Frederic is still pretty young, same age as DOC, so there might be some more upside there. But other teams know that and he’ll get paid for what he *could* do.

Yeah if he hits UFA I think he'll get some asinine contract like the Tanev or Goodrow contract. He's a great target if you can get him at like a $2.5 million AAV with medium term, but you know teams out there will offer way more.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
If they'd pick up Fredic and Comtois in free agency I'd livestream myself waving my penis at in coming traffic wearing only a beer hat crushing juice force IPAs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's something about Dubois constantly wanting out of whatever team he's on that raises red flags for me. I get that in one case it's Torts and in another it's playing somewhere that's not that desirable for the typical hockey player with better options, but at the same time his attitude just screams of someone who will sulk and go home as soon as things don't get exactly his way.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
There's something about Dubois constantly wanting out of whatever team he's on that raises red flags for me. I get that in one case it's Torts and in another it's playing somewhere that's not that desirable for the typical hockey player with better options, but at the same time his attitude just screams of someone who will sulk and go home as soon as things don't get exactly his way.
He's a pampered soul.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I get that both Columbus and Winnipeg are less-than-ideal situations but yeah. You'd think guy was actually a really good player or something based on all of his complaining.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Our powerplay actually was horrible because we have slow skaters.

Jeff Carter's size was instrumental in winning last year
It was evident when the announcer said BIG Jeff Carter.

Our PP sucks because it's exactly wht Mike Sullivan said, "We don't want to coach it too much"...

No entry plan.
No cycle/shot plan.
Our players are rarely in the f***ing crease.

Our PP sucks because of coaching. He just relies on Crosby and Malkin being "on"

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Howden’s a good example of the type of acquisition we need. Instead of paying fair market value for established players and known commodities. Vegas got him for a 4th because he looked like a bust with the Rangers, and he probably is, but he’s also a nice, cheap, bottom 6 role player with youthful naivety and something to prove and play for. Poehling is in the same boat probably. Just a throw-in from a team that didn’t see him reaching his potential, and he probably won’t.

More Poehlings and less McGinns.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Our PP sucks because it's exactly wht Mike Sullivan said, "We don't want to coach it too much"...

No entry plan.
No cycle/shot plan.
Our players are rarely in the f***ing crease.

Our PP sucks because of coaching. He just relies on Crosby and Malkin being "on"
The entry sucks because everyone has average or below speed so we don't have a dump/chase option.

I think it's a lot easier said than done to overhaul what Sid, Geno and Letang are comfortable with on the powerplay. And let's not forget that the players have the power in this dynamic.

Reactions: Peat

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I want nothing to do with him on this team. Zero percent interested in him being a Penguin.

Reactions: LiffLaff

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Supposedly he asked for a trade in juniors too.

You can win with some jerks and head cases on your team but he’s definitely not someone I’d give up a ton for or sign for a long time.
Cape Breton is possibly the worst place for a French kid to play in the Q. He's basically had terrible luck with where he's been drafted and traded. I wouldn't trade for him because by all accounts he's going to pull a Tavares next off season, but calling someone a jerk or a headcase because they don't want to play for Torts or live in some of the least appealing places in North America seems harsh to me.

Reactions: Jacob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad