Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think the dream scenario is getting both Ullmark and Hall for very little assets. It sounds like Boston fans really want to keep Swayman, and that's good for the Penguins because it means they won't have to trade #14 for Swayman.

If you could do like POJ and a 3rd for Ullmark and Hall, I'd be building a statue for Dubas. And as lopsided as that trade seems, I actually think it's totally possible too.

Even though I'm skeptical they would trade with each other, I think Boston and Pittsburgh make a lot of sense as trade partners. It sounds like Boston wants to trade Hall to get cap space to re-sign Bertuzzi, who was fantastic for Boston and likely costs less per year than Hall. Adding Hall and Ullmark in an off-season is about as big of a splash as I think is possible for Dubas, and the cap hit of both of those guys (Ullmark at $5 million, Hall at $6 million) are definitely workable.

Couldn't Boston get a better haul from other teams besides the Pens if the need to get rid of Hall and Ullmark?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Couldn't Boston get a better haul from other teams besides the Pens if the need to get rid of Hall and Ullmark?

Very likely. Which is part of the issue with attempting to supplement the current roster with trades. The Pens don't have that many high end draft picks. Nor do they have high end prospects. And not too many NHL-ready prospects regardless of their floor/ceiling.

I think the 14th overall, POJ, and Ty Smith are the most desirable trade pieces the Penguins have for a team that's up against the cap ceiling.

Good luck Kyle.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Screenshot-2023-06-05-at-5.55.10-PM.png

From Dommie Letters.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Looking at some past trades, I don't see why the Penguins couldn't do something similar to the Dadonov to VGK trade back in 2020. That deal was Holden and a 3rd for Dadonov, who was coming off a 20 point in 55 game season.

Could you maybe do Granlund to San Jose for Simek and a 4th? Simek sucks and makes $2.25 million a year for next year, but you can stash him in WBS as extra D depth and only have a $1.2 million or so cap penalty from that.
Would that give the Penguins more room then just buying Granlund out? I’m assuming so but I don’t know the exact numbers, but if it would then I say go for it. I still think Granlund could go the other way in a Gibson deal which would be what I try first

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Durzi is RH and can PK too. But I’m good with both? I’m not a huge believer in Smith since I think his skating and size will hold him back from being what his instincts want him to be. But it’s probably not happening, just thought it’d be interesting since Dubas loves his former players.
Deangelo since Philly might be blowing it up? 🤣

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Would that give the Penguins more room then just buying Granlund out? I’m assuming so but I don’t know the exact numbers, but if it would then I say go for it. I still think Granlund could go the other way in a Gibson deal which would be what I try first

Depends which year you're looking at.

Granlund now = $5M
Granlund next season bought out = $833k
(the 3 seasons after are $1.833M)

Simek now in the NHL = $2.25M
Simek buried in the AHL = $1.1M (can bury a maximum of league minimum plus 3/8M = 775k + 375k = $1.15M bury-able)
(no future seasons)

edit to add: Yeah, I'd make that trade.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I actually just realized the Penguins don't have the picks needed to offersheet Swayman at what he'd realistically cost, so I don't think that's actually much of an option. They don't have their 3rd anymore, they traded it in the McGinn for Kulikov deal.

It sucks that they didn't use Vegas' 2024 3rd instead for that deal. Having a 1st and 3rd to be able to threaten Boston with a Swayman offersheet would be a massive negotiating tool. I'd actually trade New Jersey's 2023 3rd for their 2024 3rd back just to have that weapon in my back pocket.
Wouldn’t be hard to re-acquire a 3rd.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Lol

I used up all of my snarky replies in response to that moron in the Pirates thread so I'll just say "lol" here :laugh:

Hall is older and is not gona be much better than zucker was last year. That was my point. This team should be trying to find a younger play driver if possible. Hall just seems to me like another old guy who will flub out here.

I am not advocating to bring either in btw

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hall is older and is not gona be much better than zucker was last year. That was my point. This team should be trying to find a younger play driver if possible. Hall just seems to me like another old guy who will flub out here.

I am not advocating to bring either in btw

Zucker is like 60 days younger than Taylor Hall.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

There is going to be a carousel this Summer for sure.

The teams that need goaltending are: Sabres, Leafs, Kings, Penguins, Devils, Hurricanes, Senators, Anaheim(?)... seemingly. Might be missing one here.

UFAs, Hellebuyck, Saros(?), Swayman/Ullmark, Hart, Gibson, Jarry...

I can't see Anaheim trading with LA. Philly with the Pens, Devils, or Canes, Boston with Ottawa or Sabres..... should be interesting.

Hellebuyck would be amazing for sure. If it's not him - somehow landing Hall if we can assume there's no curse there lol - Ullmark would be nice. I just think both of those guys benefited HEAVILY from the team in front of them and are nothing more than a 1A. Wherein I do think Hellebuyck/Gibson are proven #1's who would only need a decent backup behind them.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Tarasenko has under-performed on the last year of his contract... He did well in St Louis.

Wonder what kind of contract he is looking at? He doesn't address any defensive needs - but damn his shot would be nice on the Pens.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Zucker is like 60 days younger than Taylor Hall.

Correct he is older. And he will be 1 year and 60 days older than Zucker was last year. For the record I do not want to bring Zucker back for what he is going to get.

I don't want Hall at 6 million. I don't think Hall changes this team. I would rather buy that money to Bertuzzi. They need guys who are harder to play against.

Reactions: Andy99

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
5.5-6 mil x 3

That would be a no brainer for Pittsburgh. But he's 31 - is he really signing for 3 years? I think it's 1, 2, or 6+

He has 97 career playoff games: 44 goals 20 assists. [This season with NY he had 7 games 3 goals 1 assist]

For reference: Zucker (31 as well) has 46 career playoff games with 8 goals and 7 assists.... If you're getting Vlad for a mil more, you take that and RUN.

----------
Edit: and the thinking here is that if we can address the top 6 and 1LD/depth D in free agency it opens more trade possibilities and allows that 14OA to go for Hellebuyck. Tarasenko is a great target at the right cost.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That would be a no brainer for Pittsburgh. But he's 31 - is he really signing for 3 years? I think it's 1, 2, or 6+

He has 97 career playoff games: 44 goals 20 assists. [This season with NY he had 7 games 3 goals 1 assist]

For reference: Zucker (31 as well) has 46 career playoff games with 8 goals and 7 assists.... If you're getting Vlad for a mil more, you take that and RUN.

Does this team need top 6 scoring? This team needs depth scoring and someone with bite in the top 6.

Jake, Sid, Geno, and Rakell can all put up 30. Rust is 20-30.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does this team need top 6 scoring? This team needs depth scoring and someone with bite in the top 6.

Jake, Sid, Geno, and Rakell can all put up 30. Rust is 20-30.

If it is the sort of top 6 scoring that will help stabilise PP1 and help Geno by giving him another guy who can make plays with the puck, yes. PP1 is a wonky beast and Geno didn't achieve what he could last season.

I agree about the other needs too though mind.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If it is the sort of top 6 scoring that will help stabilise PP1 and help Geno by giving him another guy who can make plays with the puck, yes. PP1 is a wonky beast and Geno didn't achieve what he could last season.

I agree about the other needs too though mind.

PP1 needs someone in front of the net more than anything Jake and Sid floating on the sides for tips isn't gonna cut it. Vlad is gona have the same problem as geno. No one screening the goalie. Get a top in the style of Kunitz or Horny. Heck I would take a prime Malone to sit in front.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad