Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Does this team need top 6 scoring? This team needs depth scoring and someone with bite in the top 6.

Jake, Sid, Geno, and Rakell can all put up 30. Rust is 20-30.
Rakell has scored 30 or more in a season only two times. You get depth scoring by bring in more top six scoring by forcing players into the bottom six.

Also, we were incredibly fortunate with injuries last season. We are due.

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
Since coming to Boston, he has a 2.21 5v5 points/60. That's really good, it's basically the same as Guentzel (2.13) and Malkin (2.23) over that window.

I think Hall would be the closest thing to giving Malkin a winger who can drive play that you can possibly acquire right now. Someone like Bunting or Barbashev would just be a complementary guy for Malkin, I think Hall would actually help Malkin drive offense.

His overall numbers look kinda mediocre due to his usage in Boston, but his 5v5 production is really good. I've obviously been a big fan of Swayman on here for a while, but getting Hall as well is just too good of an opportunity for me to pass up on. If it's Hall vs Bunting, I'm picking Hall 100% of the time and I'm a huge Bunting fan.
Hall was at a 1.87 5v5 points/60 last season, Zucker was a 2.05

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Largely due to injury.
Even if you averaged his production over 82 games, he wouldn’t have hit 30 in those seasons. His last 30 season came the same year we won a playoff series - that’s a long time ago.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Rakell has scored 30 or more in a season only two times. You get depth scoring by bring in more top six scoring by forcing players into the bottom six.

Also, we were incredibly fortunate with injuries last season. We are due.

Not with this coach. look at Granlund. You can't miscast players and expect them to produce. You don't put a skilled guy in bottom 6 role. Taresenko would probably be put on the third line before Rust. Not all players can produce anywhere in the line up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
PP1 needs someone in front of the net more than anything Jake and Sid floating on the sides for tips isn't gonna cut it. Vlad is gona have the same problem as geno. No one screening the goalie. Get a top in the style of Kunitz or Horny. Heck I would take a prime Malone to sit in front.

Not wrong but

I think they do also really need someone who either packs a vicious shot that defences must respect, or who has top tier evasion and distribution at the top too. I think Teams feel really free to press and press the top of the umbrella because they're not too worried about anyone's shooting lane or anyone escaping them and making them look like a tit.

Don't really envy Dubas having to work with that one. Maybe a good net front guy who forces a guy to stick with him all the time and turns it into 4 vs 3 would shield it well enough

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not wrong but

I think they do also really need someone who either packs a vicious shot that defences must respect, or who has top tier evasion and distribution at the top too. I think Teams feel really free to press and press the top of the umbrella because they're not too worried about anyone's shooting lane or anyone escaping them and making them look like a tit.

Don't really envy Dubas having to work with that one. Maybe a good net front guy who forces a guy to stick with him all the time and turns it into 4 vs 3 would shield it well enough

Big Puusy.

Instead we will get Nylander non stop.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Not wrong but

You don't need a vicious shot. Kessel didnt have one.

They had a PP with Crosby, Geno, Kessel, Letang and Horny that was the top of the league. Who had the vicious shot? Take Jake off and replace him with a net front guy and this PP is much better. Or play Jake like Neal and out a net front guy in there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not wrong but

The answer on PP1 has been obvious for years but nobody seems willing to address it. There's just "never enough money/resources." But then they blow another ten million on the bottom six or whatever.

There is a giant sucking vacancy on that LHW and has been since Kessel left. It's no mystery that the powerplay has been misfiring ever since. Plus even outside of that certain personnel on the top unit are less than ideal or IMO in the wrong spots.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Screenshot-2023-06-05-at-5.55.10-PM.png

From Dommie Letters.
So underpaid: Crosby (FF), Malkin (TLF), Guentzel (TLF), POJ, DOC
Fairly paid: Rust, Rakell, Letang, Petry (if categorized as top pair D), Petts, Ruutta, Poehling
Overpaid: Granlund, Carter, Petry (if categorized as T4D)

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The answer on PP1 has been obvious for years but nobody seems willing to address it. There's just "never enough money/resources." But then they blow another ten million on the bottom six or whatever.

There is a giant sucking vacancy on that LHW and has been since Kessel left. It's no mystery that the powerplay has been misfiring ever since. Plus even outside of that certain personnel on the top unit are less than ideal or IMO in the wrong spots.
I still say fix the entry issue first. We need a speed dump/chase guy to keep defenses honest.

Last year that was Zucker but the hierarchy dictated that Jake takes precedence

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not with this coach. look at Granlund. You can't miscast players and expect them to produce. You don't put a skilled guy in bottom 6 role. Taresenko would probably be put on the third line before Rust. Not all players can produce anywhere in the line up.

Rust is a better fit for the bottom 6 than he is the top 6. Granlund was never going to be that depth guy. Rust can slide up with injury.

Tarasenko does wonders for this team on paper. Yes he improves the top 6 and YES this team needs to address it. You have to consider that at some point...maybe soon...Sid and Geno will start losing points. Sid might 'only' be a ppg player soon and Geno might be sub-ppg at any minute (exasperated with bad linemates). I'd say a top 6 play driver is a 1B need for this team with goaltending being 1A. We literally have zero players outside of Sid and Geno that drive play. That was always the talk around JT Miller - that he's basically a better Rust who can drive play.

Guentzel- Sid - Rakell
[big body bruiser / mucker upper] - Geno - Tarasenko

X - X - Rust
Nylander - X - DOC
Is an improved top 6.

I agree about the net front - but that player does not need to be a top 6 caliber player. That can be addressed in the bottom 6. Hornqvist was fringe here if you recall top 6 bottom 6 and filled that role the best we've ever seen. He could slide up as needed (a lot of those guys could). We've had a clear distinction of a top 6 bottom 6 here recently and that's been to our detriment. The more you can push talent down the better...albeit that talent needs to have some abilities other than just scoring.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

They had a PP with Crosby, Geno, Kessel, Letang and Horny that was the top of the league. Who had the vicious shot? Take Jake off and replace him with a net front guy and this PP is much better. Or play Jake like Neal and out a net front guy in there.

Hence the or. A guy with Kessel's skating and distribution would do just fine.

Although more crucially - Sid, Geno, and Tanger who that notable bit more formidable as skaters and shooters back then. Geno's shot in particular demanded respect. It is their slight decline that has me demanding a new guy for the top of the umbrella.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Geno has one of the best shots in the NHL to this day. It's a reason I could see him moving to wing with Sid or an addition of a top 6 C at some point. He still passes great but his game is better suited to roaming in the O-Zone and sniping and for whatever reason the chips have never fallen that way.

Phil also had a vicious shot. What are you talking about here. Phil sucked at one timers but if he had the puck for a half move or greater he could pick any spot on net.

But yes - again, I love the idea of a net front. I said the other day that a Hellebuyck/Hornqvist (esque) addition takes this team to the playoffs next year no matter that Sully is here with his stubborn idiocies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The #1 answer on PP1 is removing Letang lol…then get a better PPQB like Ghost

Reactions: vodeni

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno has one of the best shots in the NHL to this day. It's a reason I could see him moving to wing with Sid or an addition of a top 6 C at some point. He still passes great but his game is better suited to roaming in the O-Zone and sniping and for whatever reason the chips have never fallen that way.

Phil also had a vicious shot. What are you talking about here. Phil sucked at one timers but if he had the puck for a half move or greater he could pick any spot on net.

But yes - again, I love the idea of a net front. I said the other day that a Hellebuyck/Hornqvist (esque) addition takes this team to the playoffs next year no matter that Sully is here with his stubborn idiocies.
I'm not trying to flame Geno, honestly, but his shot is no longer elite in either placement or velocity. It's still good but not elite. He would be better served in Sid's spot on the half wall as he makes better decisions there than Sid does.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Put Malkin in place of ROR / Schenn. You can see it. Cmon hype squad.....

+ Plays "quick" which is allegedly what we're going for here, right?

I loved that Blues team. Used to watch a lot of them as my 2nd team. Those mid 2010's Blues teams would be running wild on this Metro division.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not trying to flame Geno, honestly, but his shot is no longer elite in either placement or velocity. It's still good but not elite. He would be better served in Sid's spot on the half wall as he makes better decisions there than Sid does.

I don't think that's unfair. That's just a true observation.

Malkin will never score 30+ again.

Reactions: vodeni

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well let me amend that... if they could get him more than one linemate worth half a shit at a time and put him on the correct spot on the powerplay he probably could.

So in other words... he won't.
I love the assumption that if Granlund stays he has to go on Malkin's wing, even though he makes more sense for Sid. #Duos baby

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love the assumption that if Granlund stays he has to go on Malkin's wing, even though he makes more sense for Sid. #Duos baby

I just think that's predicated on the fact that Sullivan is absolutely loathe to tinker with the top line. It'll be Rust or Raks there no matter what. And certainly Jake on the other side, of course.

I noticed that "DUOS" kinda went by the wayside. Even Coach Cliche couldn't keep up the charade anymore I guess.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just think that's predicated on the fact that Sullivan is absolutely loathe to tinker with the top line. It'll be Rust or Raks there no matter what. And certainly Jake on the other side, of course.

I noticed that "DUOS" kinda went by the wayside. Even Coach Cliche couldn't keep up the charade anymore I guess.
It's just code for "Sid shall always have Jake forever and ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad