Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I love how they are heading into a draft in which they don't have a 2nd Rd pick because they dealt it 3 months ago for a guy that they might now have to part assets for to get rid of. I'm still in awe that we witnessed that out of the pens front office and despite caution that Dubas is in fact not the second coming, I'm nonetheless completely relieved that he's now here.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Getting a 1st and two 2nds for Provorov and weaponizing their cap space in taking Peterson seems pretty close to larceny for a team that's not looking to be competitive for like another 5-6 years at least.

I hope all their picks/prospects bomb though. :laugh:
Must be fun to be a franchise with its best days (perpetually) in front of them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if we had the assets (and we don’t [and I’m not paying 14th overall for him]) Hart would make a lot of sense. Way younger and less likely to be cooked than Gibson and his contract situation is ideal. 1 more year then RFA, so you’re not stuck with him if he does end up sucking, but he’s stuck with us if he plays well.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Barbashev's ideally a 3rd liner in my mind which is why I won't pay that kinda price.
In Sully's mind, he's not better than Heinen.

I get Jarry vibes with Hart. I just don't trust either of them to be the answer in net. I'd like either of them in a 1a/1b role where they compete with someone of similar quality for the job but the cap probably makes that not very realistic, especially in Jarry's case.
I've never had faith with our medical staff and especially not the coaching staff. I hope Jarry walks so I can see how good he really is away from an epic shit show franchise.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Strike Gavrikov from your wishlist. Staying in L.A. for 2 more years. $5.8 mils.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's a lot per year but surprisingly short-term for a younger guy. I guess that's the trade-off.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Doesn’t really fit our needs and not sure why they’d shop him if they just cleared the cap they needed to on their blue line.
I think a young dman who’s decent offensively and on special teams would be nice to get. But they’d need to clear Rutta or Petry.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think a young dman who’s decent offensively and on special teams would be nice to get. But they’d need to clear Rutta or Petry.

Too bad the Penguins don't have a guy like that already.

1243529370.0.jpg

Hell, even POJ may fit that description too. He's not bad on the PP either.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Speaking of Dmen and Special Teams. Can we get rid of this outdated notion that only certain Dman can play on the PK? Guys like Scuderi, JJ, etc get labeled as some PK gods when they're not appreciably better than someone like Letang or Petts.

This dinosaur crap needs to go

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Dmen and Special Teams. Can we get rid of this outdated notion that only certain Dman can play on the PK? Guys like Scuderi, JJ, etc get labeled as some PK gods when they're not appreciably better than someone like Letang or Petts.

This dinosaur crap needs to go

I mean, I do think there is an aspect to consider of size with regards to PKing defensemen. Defensemen need to be able to clear out the crease and box out net front guys trying to get rebound goals on the powerplay. Letang is pretty solid at that, but I don't think Pettersson is good at that at all.

The issue with guys like JJ is that he wasn't good at boxing players out despite his size and just sucked everywhere. But JJ in theory (meaning what executives think he is) would be more useful for that crease clearing role than someone like Pettersson. JJ just stinks.

Pettersson is useful on the PK though, I wasn't trying to argue he wasn't. I think you ideally sign someone like Graves or Soucy to replace Dumoulin and have Petry, Rutta, Letang, Pettersson and Soucy/Graves all killing penalties.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Too bad the Penguins don't have a guy like that already.

1243529370.0.jpg

Hell, even POJ may fit that description too. He's not bad on the PP either.

Durzi is RH and can PK too. But I’m good with both? I’m not a huge believer in Smith since I think his skating and size will hold him back from being what his instincts want him to be. But it’s probably not happening, just thought it’d be interesting since Dubas loves his former players.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Top-5 picks are your best odds of landing a franchise pillar but spray and pray by having a ton of picks ain't a bad strategy either. /shrug

Petersen's deal is up in two years. I don't think the Flyers were hoping to go up against the cap intending to compete again in that time frame. :laugh:
Even better is to spray and pray in addition to having top 5 picks, really.

Which just reminds me of just how bad the 03/04 Pens really were. The players Craig Patrick traded away were Marc Bergevin, Brian Holzinger and Alain Nasreddine (for a 7th round pick, Lasse Pirjeta and Steve Webb, respectively).

(Though, really, Patrick's approach to selling assets was generally flawed - tried to get prospects back instead of early round picks, and they almost all ended up busting; should have at least gotten some picks along with the prospects, given that the other teams were willing to give up on those prospects in the first place).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. The shit CP was peddling back in those days was so horrible that mostly-busted prospects was probably about the best he could do.

That being said... woulda been nice to get some 1sts and 2nds in the Jagr and Kovalev deals. As opposed to a giant load of complete garbage that frankly mostly looked like garbage even at the time.

EDIT: Then again I suppose that's what all the cash took the place of.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think Patrick was in an impossible position in the 2001-2004 era, but he also did a pretty horrendous job at managing the Penguins assets over that window.

Like look at these trades:

-Jagr for Beech, Lupaschuk and Sivek
-Kasparaitis for Berry and Nieminen
-Ference for a 3rd
-Kovalev for Fata, Lintner, Samuelsson and Bouchard
-Hrdina for Abid, Focht and Lefebvre
-Straka for Anshakov and Strbak
-Berehowsky for Jackman (honestly, I never realized Berehowsky played for the Penguins)

Pretty much all of these trades were the Penguins giving up a legitimate NHLer for nothing. Ference for a 3rd was especially egregious, Ference was a 23 year old defensemen on a team with an awful defense and they ditched him for a 3rd rounder that didn't pan out.

Samuelsson in the Kovalev deal is the only player in these trades that actually was an effective player in the NHL, but he was then moved in the deal to trade up for the Fleury pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad