Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think Barb is thinking he's going to get closer to $6M vs 5, considering his playoff run

That time of year where the musical chairs happen - and guys like Rodrigues wait around until they take a 1 year deal.

Where the Pens don't want to pay a Bonino an extra mil so we spend years hunting for another.

Always interesting. We thought Rust would be the same last year - for sure cashing in and he seemingly took a discount to stay. Little did we know he was ready to retire from hockey and took the Summer off. Be interesting to see where a lot of guys end up and those that wait for contracts that don't come until late July or August. By all accounts the cap WILL go up, but overpaying for mid guys is ultra dangerous. Hoping Dubas handles this whole thing well.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Just made this team on NHL. Will be a little pricier with the raises that Barbashev and Ross Colton deserve, but... get 'er done Doober.

Guentzel-Sid-Rust
Tatar-Malkin-Rakell
Colton-Barbashev-Nylander
Girgensons-Carter-Archibald
DOC

Graves-Letang
Petts-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruh

Hellebuyck
DeSmith

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just made this team on NHL. Will be a little pricier with the raises that Barbashev and Ross Colton deserve, but... get 'er done Doober.

Guentzel-Sid-Rust
Tatar-Malkin-Rakell
Colton-Barbashev-Nylander
Girgensons-Carter-Archibald
DOC

Graves-Letang
Petts-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruh

Hellebuyck
DeSmith
Please replace Carter with DOC…I’m irritated with anyone who puts Carter in our lineup lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Using purely UFAs and their projected cost from that link I had yesterday, I came up with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Janmark-Kampf-Brown
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Bonino

Pettersson-Letang
Soucy-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Smith-Ruhwedel

Jarry-Varlamov

Just do like Granlund, DeSmith and #14 to Chicago for #19 and #93 and fill out the rest with UFAs. This team has $1.3 million in cap space to ideally add another forward, because that 3rd line is still pretty underwhelming. It definitely fits how Sullivan wants to use his 3rd line, but it's not an inspiring 3rd line.

I like Kampf as 3C and Brown as 3RW, but I'd be interested in seeing what other kinds of LWs are available for the 3LW spot. If they still had Tanev, I'd absolutely love a Tanev-Kampf-Brown line. That line would be as perfect of a Mike Sullivan 3rd line as you can get IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now here's an interesting idea: would you do pick #14 for Hart? That is a really tough one to me.

Hart has had his inconsistencies, but he's only 24 and had a really damn good season last year on a terrible Flyers team. He had a GSAx of 10.3 last year, which isn't earth shattering but it is very good. He's been at least solid in the NHL in every year outside of his atrocious 2020-2021.

I think Hart would be my #1 target, even more attractive than Swayman is to me. But with that being said, I think there is zero chance that Philly would even consider trading him to Pittsburgh. Hell, you can say the same about Boston with Swayman too.

Reactions: Andy99

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Now here's an interesting idea: would you do pick #14 for Hart? That is a really tough one to me.

Hart has had his inconsistencies, but he's only 24 and had a really damn good season last year on a terrible Flyers team. He had a GSAx of 10.3 last year, which isn't earth shattering but it is very good. He's been at least solid in the NHL in every year outside of his atrocious 2020-2021.

I think Hart would be my #1 target, even more attractive than Swayman is to me. But with that being said, I think there is zero chance that Philly would even consider trading him to Pittsburgh. Hell, you can say the same about Boston with Swayman too.

If we could move Desmith in the deal, and sign Jarry (good friend of Hart) to a bridge, that would be a decent 1a-1b, not sure I'd trust either of them as the out and out starter though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we could move Desmith in the deal, and sign Jarry (good friend of Hart) to a bridge, that would be a decent 1a-1b, not sure I'd trust either of them as the out and out starter though.

I don't think you'd keep Jarry in that case. I think you'd go with Hart and a UFA like Varlamov.

Jarry and Hart serve the same purpose IMO.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't know, I'm not really getting how it's all that great from a Philly perspective. Are they trying to tank? Cal Peterson appears to be a $5M goalie who is fully cooked. Walker seems like a 5D at best.

Their cap went up $900k. Yeah, they got a 1st rounder (22nd) and some 2nd rounders. And a prospect who may also only be a 5D.

Maybe it's just my subconscious hate for Philly.

Reactions: Khelandros

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Seems like LA is going after Hellebuyck. Philly got a haul, and got rid of shitball Provorov and his contract. Then there's Columbus, just kinda there. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know, I'm not really getting how it's all that great from a Philly perspective. Are they trying to tank? Cal Peterson appears to be a $5M goalie who is fully cooked. Walker seems like a 5D at best.

Their cap went up $900k. Yeah, they got a 1st rounder (22nd) and some 2nd rounders. And a prospect who may also only be a 5D.

They should be.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I think that's a team that realizes they have a lot of building to do before they're anything again. I dunno if it's outright tanking or just accepting reality that the organization is a handful of guys 25 and under, then a whole lotta trash.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am willing to give Dubas a shot, even though I know this is not going to be good. There actually ARE a few things he did in Toronto that I liked. Under Dubas, the Leafs drafted a LOT of Russians. We have ignored that market forever. Dubas DID finally acquire some of the types of players that not only Toronto needed down the stretch, but we too need. Guys like Acciari, Schenn. AND, he seems to be hinting at adding a fourth member to this core, which I have no issue with. Just like when our franchise centers were young, we always needed that third offensive wheel. I think the situation still exists, except that NOW we absolutely need that guy to be young.

But the main thing I liked about how Dubas built the Leafs was the fact he never went crazy looking for a goaltender. He did not give Campbell a big contract. He let him walk. He let Andersen walk. He mixed and matched and did not overplay the position. I hope he continues to think along those lines here. Do NOT trade futures for a No. 1 goaltender. First of all, we have no future. That 14th overall pick might as well be a bar of gold because it is that meaningful and valuable to this organization at this time. Do not trade draft picks to make bad contracts go away. Trade whatever contracts you can trade. Roll with the rest.

Speed is fine and dandy but size and especially YOUTH are more important for sustained success with this team. We need to get younger in a massive way, even if it means trading a better player for a lesser player (right now).

He has a TON of work to do, but I am going to hold onto what he said about the need for preparing the post-core years as much as contending with the core (I am paraphrasing).

That is the only way to go here. It should have been done in the summer of 2018 but we kept kicking the can down the road and we are here.

Reactions: tom_servo

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

No. Goalies are rarely worth 1st round picks.

Reactions: farscape1

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know if Hart is gonna make it to the draft as a Flyer. I think Friedman said the team was already working on a deal to move him.

-edit- Wasn't Friedman, it was Pagnotta and whoever their Philly-specific reporter/"insider" is.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I don't know if Hart is gonna make it to the draft as a Flyer. I think Friedman said the team was already working on a deal to move him.

-edit- Wasn't Friedman, it was Pagnotta and whoever their Philly-specific reporter/"insider" is.
This guy?

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad