Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd much rather give him a long term deal because you can likely get him for cheaper that way.

If he takes a 1 year deal to build up his value, I think he'd cost way more to sign next year than this year. I think you can get him for like $3.5 million a year now, but he'll cost more like $4.5 million or more if he's a free agent next off-season after a good year.

I’d rather just give him a one year deal, and trade a 3rd and a 4th for Iafallo or Arvidsson out of LA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins are going to re-sign Guentzel and get him at a much cheaper AAV than most people would expect him to get.

The standard guys like Crosby, Malkin and Letang have established make me think that Guentzel will also similarly take a team-friendly deal. You already saw Rust do that as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Okay guys we did it.

1686010099310.png

1686010115541.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
An idea I just had from reading the main board: I wonder if Vegas winning the cup this year may influence teams to try to go cheaper in net, like Vegas did with Hill as their starter. The NHL is a copycat league after all, and "the Knights won without paying goalies, so I'm not going to be willing to pay much for a goalie" sounds pretty similar to the other (usually stupid) ideas that GMs had after looking at cup winners.

It's funny because that's not even really what the Knights are going to do going forward, it's just what happened to be the case this year. Thompson is really cheap (2 years left at $766k AAV), but he's a damn good starter himself. That's not the cheap I mean, I meant cheap as in not try to go get a great starter.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There is obviously more to hockey than just points, but I think fans have both come to overrate analytics and underrate production in recent years. A guy who offers things beyond his offense is better than a guy who produces the same that doesn't offer anything beyond his offense obviously, but it almost seems like production is taking a back seat to analytics when production is actually the thing that wins you games.

The thing about analytics vs production is that once you start digging into the stats on an analytics site like NST, you start noticing all sorts of things about production and how it comes.

Compile that with the eye test and I personally am left with a conviction that production is one part usage, one part dumb luck, and one part actual ability. I don't know the proportions of those parts, but I do know that I take raw production stats with a lot of salt. I believe they need to be broken down and compared to work out what's good and what's not. The ultimate example is Dominik Simon's 30 point pace over his first 2 and a bit NHL seasons, which seems to indicate reliable 3rd liner until you realise pretty much all of the point came from a freakish symbiosis with Sid that he couldn't do with anyone else.

I'd also question production being the thing that wins games. Teams scoring goals and preventing goals is what wins games. Production tells a tale on the first part of that, but not the whole tale.

I'm sure we can all think of goals where some of the guys getting points did absolutely nothing (whoever passed Sid the puck on that one handed backhander vs Buffalo got the easiest primary assist of their life) and goals where the vital play wasn't one of the last three passes (I can't think of actual goals but also Sid a lot) - not to mention all the stat padding games where guys turn 5-1 games into 6-1 in the 3rd. It's a useful measuring stick but imperfect.

It obviously does nothing to measure who's preventing goals.

It shouldn't be production vs analytics. It should be both, plus microstats and eye test and every other bit of info going. They're all flawed.

But production by itself without a ton of context is really flawed to me, and crucially, it looks like NHL GMs agree. If players were handing out big prices for guys with gaudy production all the time, it'd be different. But there's been numerous examples of guys who produce but little else not getting much value while tough reliable plays with okay numbers get the earth.

An idea I just had from reading the main board: I wonder if Vegas winning the cup this year may influence teams to try to go cheaper in net, like Vegas did with Hill as their starter. The NHL is a copycat league after all, and "the Knights won without paying goalies, so I'm not going to be willing to pay much for a goalie" sounds pretty similar to the other (usually stupid) ideas that GMs had after looking at cup winners.

It's funny because that's not even really what the Knights are going to do going forward, it's just what happened to be the case this year. Thompson is really cheap (2 years left at $766k AAV), but he's a damn good starter himself. That's not the cheap I mean, I meant cheap as in not try to go get great goalies.

If the sight of Matt Murray winning two cups as a rookie, or Jordan Binnington winning one as a rookie shortly before his 26th birthday, didn't get them to be all on board with this, I'm not sure Adin Hill being the next example will do it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

It's funny because that's not even really what the Knights are going to do going forward, it's just what happened to be the case this year. Thompson is really cheap (2 years left at $766k AAV), but he's a damn good starter himself. That's not the cheap I mean, I meant cheap as in not try to go get a great starter.

Hill’s going to be making 4+ mil so.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps

Didn't we tried this last year playoff with spicy pork broccoli and some ECHLer kid backup?
It didn't work out that great though.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010

But they kind of do have an expensive goalie. He is just a snake charming lunatic and they used a loophole to bury him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn't we tried this last year playoff with spicy pork broccoli and some ECHLer kid backup?
It didn't work out that great though.

Tbf, there's a difference between going out there with a cheap inexperienced guy who's shown some NHL chops and going out there was a career back up trending down to AHLer. One's a gamble, the other is pure desperation.

Not enough Bunting since I think it's pretty much a given he's coming to Pittsburgh. And I'm not sure how I feel about spending that much on goaltending. But at least we've got a new goaltending duo.

Other than those two things, not much to complain about.

If Dubas skipped out on Hyman because he thought he could get Bunting to do the same job for a lot less, skipping out on Bunting and making a bet on a new guy seems a logical thing to do.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Winnipeg has just been one of the most overrated teams for 6-7 years.
The Thrashers/Jets Franchise has been an utter black hole since they entered the league a quarter century ago.

And the Jets/Coyotes Franchise is STILL a black hole since they joined the NHL in the late 70's.

Winnipeg is cursed with awful hockey franchises, but at least they got one.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Tbf, there's a difference between going out there with a cheap inexperienced guy who's shown some NHL chops and going out there was a career back up trending down to AHLer. One's a gamble, the other is pure desperation.

If Dubas skipped out on Hyman because he thought he could get Bunting to do the same job for a lot less, skipping out on Bunting and making a bet on a new guy seems a logical thing to do.

Not sure who this new guy would be but I'm for it. Saves some money for another hole in this current lineup.

Wait what?

Nothing concrete, just a major hunch I have. All GMs go with what they're familiar with. And Dubas knows Bunting from both SSM and the Leafs. He also provides a Kunitz/Hornqvist element that Dubas has apparently made reference to a few times. Plus the Pens have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad