Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd prefer Barbashev's skill set if we are paying either 5 million.

In the last 2 years, Bunting has a 5v5 points/60 of 2.55 and has outproduced Nylander at 5v5. Barbashev is only at 2.2 5v5 points/60, which is still very good but not as good as Bunting.

I certainly see the appeal of Barbashev but I'd go with the higher producer in Bunting.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Bunting and Barbashev are both middle-6 guys imo. Market's going to dictate that they both get relatively comparable deals, I think, which probably settles around the $20 million over 4 years sorta ballpark.

Interchangeable players. Swap who is L2 and L3 depending on whichever is playing/producing better at the time.

Still have to solve the goalie issue, 3C spot, and dump Granlund, imo. But a haul of Bunting, Barbashev and Graves would be a nice start to reshaping this roster for one final run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In the last 2 years, Bunting has a 5v5 points/60 of 2.55 and has outproduced Nylander at 5v5. Barbashev is only at 2.2 5v5 points/60, which is still very good but not as good as Bunting.

I certainly see the appeal of Barbashev but I'd go with the higher producer in Bunting.

I think Barbashev brings a lot of what this team needs.

Releastically, I don't want either player at 5 milion.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Bunting and Barbashev are both middle-6 guys imo. Market's going to dictate that they both get relatively comparable deals, I think, which probably settles around the $20 million over 4 years sorta ballpark.

Interchangeable players. Swap who is L2 and L3 depending on whichever is playing/producing better at the time.

Still have to solve the goalie issue, 3C spot, and dump Granlund, imo. But a haul of Bunting, Barbashev and Graves would be a nice start to reshaping this roster for one final run.
They’re both getting 5 year minimum terms and probably 6-year contracts

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We both deal with money…so same thing lol
None of us are doing anything more than kicking around ideas and spitballing. If they want five years, and Dubas thinks that they're the best he's gonna get for one last run at the Cup before Sid's deal is up, I imagine he'll give 'em five years.

f*** it. After Sid's contract is up, who gives a shit anymore? :laugh:

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
None of us are doing anything more than kicking around ideas and spitballing. If they want five years, and Dubas thinks that they're the best he's gonna get for one last run at the Cup before Sid's deal is up, I imagine he'll give 'em five years.

f*** it. After Sid's contract is up, who gives a shit anymore? :laugh:
f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Barbashev wins another cup, I don't really want to give him what effectively is his retirement contract.
I mean, he checks A LOT of boxes for us. He'd be worth the $5mil for 2-3 years then...well we'd be in the gutter by then so who cares.

Realistically though, Bunting+Barbashev replacing Zucker+Granlund sounds really, really nice.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Bunting seems like an obvious guy to target given the Dubas connection but I wonder if we're discounting Zucker a little too easily.

I think if Zucker is willing to take something team friendly he might be back.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see a reason to do both Bunting and Barbashev, you can get Connor Brown for L3 for probably a good $1.5 million a year less than either. Sign one for L2 and then have Brown be your "big" name acquisition for L3.

I'm going to scream about acquiring Connor Brown until someone else signs him. He's literally the perfect player to target to play on Sullivan's 3rd line. I think you can get him for something like the Tanev contract (long term at $3.5 million a year).

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Bunting seems like an obvious guy to target given the Dubas connection but I wonder if we're discounting Zucker a little too easily.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Especially if Zucker isn't signed on day one of FA, and the team has the option to circle back around to get him at a lower cost than what the Barbashevs and Buntings are asking.

Team loves him, coach loves him, familiarity with linemates/system. I don't want him back, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him in a Pens jersey come October.

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I honestly don't think there's an ounce of me that wants Zucker back at this point.

He's old (relative to the other options) and injury prone, and his upside isn't close to as good as it is with Bunting or Barbashev. I think what we saw last year with Zucker is the absolute best Zucker could give.

Jarry's the only guy I might want to bring back, and that would have to be for under $5 million a year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I honestly don't think there's an ounce of me that wants Zucker back at this point.

He's old (relative to the other options) and injury prone, and his upside isn't close to as good as it is with Bunting or Barbashev. I think what we saw last year with Zucker is the absolute best Zucker could give.

Jarry's the only guy I might want to bring back, and that would have to be for under $5 million a year.
Agreed on Zucker. Jarry's trash.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see a reason to do both Bunting and Barbashev, you can get Connor Brown for L3 for probably a good $1.5 million a year less than either. Sign one for L2 and then have Brown be your "big" name acquisition for L3.

I'm going to scream about acquiring Connor Brown until someone else signs him. He's literally the perfect player to target to play on Sullivan's 3rd line. I think you can get him for something like the Tanev contract (long term at $3.5 million a year).

I wanted him when the Caps got him.

Dubas connection too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Like you and @Big Friggin Dummy I'm not super interested in bringing Zucker back. That said, if he comes back cheap and for not too long, I'll live with it and hope he stays healthy.

If he wants to cash in or get tons of term, no thanks.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

I dont know if Brown is in the position to command a long-term contract. Cant see any team handing out term for a role player that just missed an entire season. Pens might be able to get him for just 2m x 1

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont know if Brown is in the position to command a long-term contract. Cant see any team handing out term for a role player that just missed an entire season. Pens might be able to get him for just 2m x 1

I'd much rather give him a long term deal because you can likely get him for cheaper that way.

If he takes a 1 year deal to build up his value, I think he'd cost way more to sign next year than this year. I think you can get him for like $3.5 million a year now, but he'll cost more like $4.5 million or more if he's a free agent next off-season after a good year.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'd much rather give him a long term deal because you can likely get him for cheaper that way.

If he takes a 1 year deal to build up his value, I think he'd cost way more to sign next year than this year. I think you can get him for like $3.5 million a year now, but he'll cost more like $4.5 million or more if he's a free agent next off-season after a good year.
Yeah thats fair but there really no telling how the ACL injury will impact him. IMO you take the cheap one year and go from there. Its unnecessary risk to saddle yourself to him if he doesnt bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad