Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Since the team is flat out keeping Sullivan the two biggest needs are going to be:

1) Goaltending - which is obvious to anyone. His system leaves massive holes against many other systems and pinching D are prime pickings for breakaways. Gotta have someone who can hold that fort and make or stop plays as needed. (And healthy, we hope).

2) A Patric Hornqvist type- who I don't know where they exist. That dude bailed this team out of tight games so many times I lost count. There will be nights where "we just didn't get to our game" - where these past few rosters have had ZERO plan B's. You gotta have someone to muck it up and literally create goals from nothing and/or chaos. What we have on a good night is a roster full of opportunistic forwards who rely on key chances that SOMETIMES get created by his pressure system. What we don't have is anyone who brings ANYTHING else (heavy slapper up top - that actually hits...Burns, sigh.... a mucker upper....heaviness used as an advantage...any of it).

Get those two and at least you have a puncher's chance with that dummy behind the bench. The rest should be gravy.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This guy?

images
That guy's not in the Flyers' FO? :laugh:

Nah, this is the tweet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
2nd to buy out.

But I really do hope we can trade him and not have to take on the cap.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Granlund will be as impossible to move as we're (collectively) making it seem. He's not Jack Johnson. He's a flawed player that never should've been acquired because he's an abysmal fit for the team, but he's not a crazy negative asset imo. If worse comes to worse and the price is too high, or the only option is to take back an equally bad contract, just buy him out. At the most optimistic, this team's got one, maybe two shots left if Dubas & Co. do really well in the next 9 months. The cap's gonna jump next summer so the $1.8 million in dead cap won't be as bad.

I also get a chuckle out of this place willing to throw the 14th overall away at the drop of a hat but being hung up on trying to recoup the suddenly valuable 2nd rounder the team lit on fire for Granlund. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Granlund will be as impossible to move as we're (collectively) making it seem. He's not Jack Johnson. He's a flawed player that never should've been acquired because he's an abysmal fit for the team, but he's not a crazy negative asset imo. If worse comes to worse and the price is too high, or the only option is to take back an equally bad contract, just buy him out. At the most optimistic, this team's got one, maybe two shots left if Dubas & Co. do really well in the next 9 months. The cap's gonna jump next summer so the $1.8 million in dead cap won't be as bad.

I also get a chuckle out of this place willing to throw the 14th overall away at the drop of a hat but being hung up on trying to recoup the suddenly valuable 2nd rounder the team lit on fire for Granlund. :laugh:

I mean if the options are to buy him out or retain money and get value back for him, why would you ever pick buying him out? Why would you make fun of people for wanting to make the clear and obviously better decision for the team?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean if the options are to buy him out or retain money and get value back for him, why would you ever pick buying him out? Why would you make fun of people for wanting to make the clear and obviously better decision for the team?
A buyout's like $875k against the cap this year and $1.8 million next, right? So retaining $2 million does... What exactly? Gets somebody to take him more easily, sure. I don't think you're getting anything of value regardless of whether you retain or not. Your value comes from removing a bad player and contract from your organization.

Trying to somehow spin Granlund, retained or not, being an asset that'll land you something of value is where it becomes a fool's errand imo.
Philly did great there.

I mean aside from the fact that they just took on a 5M dollar backup goaltender.
When you're gonna suck, suck bad. All they have to do is collect draft capital and sit on their hands hoping their scouts, drafting and development works out to some important picks for them in the next handful of years.

They're in the easy part of the organizational life cycle. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A buyout's like $875k against the cap this year and $1.8 million next, right? So retaining $2 million does... What exactly? Gets somebody to take him more easily, sure. I don't think you're getting anything of value regardless of whether you retain or not. Your value comes from removing a bad player and contract from your organization.

A buyout lasts 4 years, not 2 years, and I would expect you can get something of actual value for Granlund if you retain him down to $3 million or $3.5 million.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A buyout lasts 4 years, not 2 years, and I would expect you can get something of actual value for Granlund if you retain him down to $3 million or $3.5 million.
Are you under the impression that a $1.8 million dead cap hit is gonna matter after Sid's deal is up in two years? :laugh:

-edit- Even if he is willing to sign on for another couple of seasons--which I have my doubts about given this team's overall age, lack of prospects, and trajectory for the past half decade--the cap is probably going to jump several million in each of the next two summers if I had to guess.

-edit2- By all means, exhaust all avenues in shopping Granlund. I just think in the end, if he's even moved at all, your value is coming from removing the player one way or another as opposed to holding out in a vain attempt to squeeze something like a 3rd out of some dipshit GM like JR or Hextall.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you under the impression that a $1.8 million dead cap hit is gonna matter after Sid's deal is up in two years? :laugh:

-edit- Even if he is willing to sign on for another couple of seasons--which I have my doubts about given this team's overall age, lack of prospects, and trajectory for the past half decade--the cap is probably going to jump several million in each of the next two summers if I had to guess.

I mean, even if you don't think it matters, it's a legitimate thing to consider.

Getting something back for him with retaining money to do so is just a better option than a buyout. I don't know why you need to act all high and mighty because you don't care about the last 2 years of the buyout or the asset that could be acquired with Granlund.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, even if you don't think it matters, it's a legitimate thing to consider.

Getting something back for him with retaining money to do so is just a better option than a buyout. I don't know why you need to act all high and mighty because you don't care about the last 2 years of the buyout or the asset that could be acquired with Granlund.
I'm not acting high and mighty. I'm saying temper your expectations for Granlund, because the value this team's gonna get if he's even moved at all is most likely the cap space and roster spot in removing said player.

I don't really care what JFresh player cards say, the entire hockey world laughed at Hextall trading a 2nd for Granlund without retention for a reason. Dude's a nothingmancer and his contract sucks. If you can find some dipshit GM to give you an asset for Granlund by retaining, go for it. But with the cap likely jumping once the escrow is paid off and this team's window rapidly closing (it closed when Mario didn't do anything following the Montreal series), the ding from buying Granlund's buyout ain't the end of the world.

I've repeatedly stated, over and over, buying him out is the last option and should only be done if all other avenues are exhausted. But you've talked yourself into a pretzel over the past week thinking Granlund's got some kind of value. :laugh:

Reactions: ChaosAgent

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Philly did great there.

I mean aside from the fact that they just took on a 5M dollar backup goaltender.
Futures are what matters in their position. His 2 year 5M price tag is largely irrelevant during a time they're not sniffing the playoffs.
If he makes them lose more then they draft higher.

They are doing what the Pens should be doing...preparing for when they are relevant again instead of pretending and wasting years. By this time next year the Flyers will have progressed their organization, and the Pens will have next to nothing to show for 2023-24.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Meh. Philly can suck just fine without the services of a guy that is quite possibly sub-CDS level pulling down close to league starter money.

It's a good deal for a terrible team whose time in the cellar is right now. It's not larceny.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Meh. Philly can suck just fine without the services of a guy that is quite possibly sub-CDS level pulling down close to league starter money.

It's a good deal for a terrible team whose time in the cellar is right now. It's not larceny.
Not larceny, no. Just a solid move that addresses their needs. They are preparing to trade Hart. They're gonna exploit the fact that it's a sellers market for goalies. I think he's gone before Canada Day.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Don’t worry. They can draft the next Provorov and Carter Hart with their 1st and 2nds.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Getting a 1st and two 2nds for Provorov and weaponizing their cap space in taking Peterson seems pretty close to larceny for a team that's not looking to be competitive for like another 5-6 years at least.

I hope all their picks/prospects bomb though. :laugh:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Getting a 1st and two 2nds for Provorov and weaponizing their cap space in taking Peterson seems pretty close to larceny for a team that's not looking to be competitive for like another 5-6 years at least.

I hope all their picks/prospects bomb though. :laugh:

Well, I’m not surprised the fans who just want us to pack it in and sell everyone think it’s some great trade.

I’d rather have a manager like Dubas and a front office like FSG that will find creative ways to win versus the Edmonton / Buffalo model.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Top-5 picks are your best odds of landing a franchise pillar but spray and pray by having a ton of picks ain't a bad strategy either. /shrug

Petersen's deal is up in two years. I don't think the Flyers were hoping to go up against the cap intending to compete again in that time frame. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad