Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Flyers are better to start the season than the Pens…don’t sleep on them…they’ll be 3-0 after beating the Oilers tonight and are higher than the Pens in the standings…people don’t appreciate how young legs and solid goaltending can count for a lot, unlike the Pens’ old legs and shaky goaltending lol
3-1. They lost to Ottawa.

Philly doesn't scare me. They started 4-1-0 last year.
Dallas, Vegas, Carolina, Minnesota coming up for them this month. Gonna be a quick reality check imo.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Dallas, Vegas, Carolina, Minnesota coming up for them this month. Gonna be a quick reality check imo.
Ottawa is really good…next NJD…we’ll be losing to them pretty soon lol…we also play Dallas and the Avs who killed us last season…wouldn’t surprise me if the Flyers were above us in the standings for the rest of this month, maybe this season…I havent thought much of our playoff chances even after we got EK…I think I was one of the few here who voted they wouldnt make the playoffs

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Ottawa is really good…next NJD…we’ll be losing to them pretty soon lol…we also play Dallas and the Avs who killed us last season…wouldn’t surprise me if the Flyers were above us in the standings for the rest of this month, maybe this season…I havent thought much of our playoff chances even after we got EK…I think I was one of the few here who voted they wouldnt make the playoffs
You look at the season schedule and every game think "uh oh, not these guys"

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If you miss the playoffs 2 years in a row with that roster something is wrong, we just got Karlsson and Smith added for next to nothing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If you miss the playoffs 2 years in a row with that roster something is wrong, we just got Karlsson and Smith added for next to nothing.
Something is wrong: our best players are really old…we’ve surrounded them with 30 somethings…we need young talent: Dawson Mercer, Seth Jarvis…we need a better goalie than Jarry…and we need a different coach lol

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Something is wrong: our best players are really old…we’ve surrounded them with 30 somethings…we need young talent: Dawson Mercer, Seth Jarvis…we need a better goalie than Jarry…and we need a different coach lol
We are the oldest team in the league. And yet age is not our problem. It's depth. And I think it's just been a natural consequence of contending and letting some of the wrong players go.

You add a couple effective guys at Karlsson's age and I'm not worried at all. 35+ it becomes an issue for non elites.

Agree with you on Jarry. Maybe they can put a tandem together.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
While they are really old, they are still better then a lot of the league and now they have the best wingers they have had in their careers here and have what should be a good top 4 D. We aint getting young talent, we got a few years left so we are going out with our canes in 1 hand and hockey sticks in our other. This is probably us until the end but if we miss again? No words...

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
While they are really old, they are still better then a lot of the league and now they have the best wingers they have had in their careers here and have what should be a good top 4 D. We aint getting young talent, we got a few years left so we are going out with our canes in 1 hand and hockey sticks in our other. This is probably us until the end but if we miss again? No words...
Father Time is undefeated…Sid and Geno are still really good players and I enjoy watching them but there’s a reason (in addition to the coach lol) why we can’t maintain O zone possession, get to pucks compared to younger teams, and are not able play a good game for 60 min (only 40)..I’ll be surprised if they do anything this season

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Apparently @Empoleon8771 needs an off day thread to discuss Penguins talk. I guess since this is technically a hockey forum we will allow it.

Obligatory Penguins gifs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I hate your thread title, wanker.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Father Time is undefeated…Sid and Geno are still really good players and I enjoy watching them but there’s a reason (in addition to the coach lol) why we can’t maintain O zone possession, get to pucks compared to younger teams, and are not able play a good game for 60 min (only 40)..I’ll be surprised if they do anything this season
Systems/style of play has more to do with that.

I'm watching Joe Pavelski play like a usual beast in a system that he's able to fit into and work with at his age, he's older than both Sid And Geno.

Difference?

Dallas plays youth in advantageous ways, tries new things and isn't afraid of that. Sure they have their warts too but this team is old because they play old and a coach that thinks he's cutting edge hut has an archaic mindset for usage of his roster and style as well as roles.

There is virtually no addition to this roster that fixes that. We literally had an overhaul in front office and added a solid top 6 winger and a Norris winner as well as solid defensively responsible free agents and the same issues still appear.

It's always been the f***ing coach. I don't care how tired it sounds. It's the f***ing truth.

Sid getting whomever he wants on his line has always been a problem. Malkin's entire line is built to be that cycle beast with high end offensive output and yet they play the system that doesn't push for that.

Sullivan would get a prime Todd Bertuzzi and bench him for hitting too much.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I'm watching Joe Pavelski play like a usual beast in a system that he's able to fit into and work with at his age, he's older than both Sid And Geno.

Difference?

Dallas plays youth in advantageous ways, tries new things and isn't afraid of that. Sure they have their warts too but this team is old because they play old and a coach that thinks he's cutting edge hut has an archaic mindset for usage of his roster and style as well as roles.

There is virtually no addition to this roster that fixes that. We literally had an overhaul in front office and added a solid top 6 winger and a Norris winner as well as solid defensively responsible free agents and the same issues still appear.

It's always been the f***ing coach. I don't care how tired it sounds. It's the f***ing truth.

Sid getting whomever he wants on his line has always been a problem. Malkin's entire line is built to be that cycle beast with high end offensive output and yet they play the system that doesn't push for that.

Who is the youth that Dallas plays in advantageous ways? Dallas top three scorers are 34+.

There's no apparent youth to be unlocked on the Penguins. Everyone is suffering from wishful thinking. Other teams' youth are first rounders. 14th overall type players. Many of those in the league.

You think the difference is missing a piece like Ty Dellandrea?

I have no idea what team to envy in this league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Who is the youth that Dallas plays in advantageous ways? Dallas top three scorers are 34+.

There's no apparent youth to be unlocked on the Penguins. Everyone is suffering from wishful thinking. Other teams' youth are first rounders. 14th overall type players. Many of those in the league.

You think the difference is missing a piece like Ty Dellandrea?

I have no idea what team to envy in this league.

I think the point is more actually try it. What’s the worse that can happen? They get lit up defensively, don’t score and take bad penalties?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Difference?

It’s the system too (well the couch’s use of players more) but what I mean is not that it’s the individual player…we’re overall too old in the pieces around Sid and Geno…Dallas‘ best players don’t include Pavs…or Benn ..it’s Heiskanen, Hintz, Robertson, Oettinger and they’re all young…we have nothing like that

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It’s the system too (well the couch’s use of players more) but what I mean is not that it’s the individual player…we’re overall too old in the pieces around Sid and Geno…Dallas‘ best players don’t include Pavs…or Benn ..it’s Heiskanen, Hintz, Robertson, Oettinger and they’re all young…we have nothing like that
We're not too old in those key positions. That's where I disagree. Jarry's young, he sucks. Joseph sucks. O' Conner sucks. The main old guys are great, but Carter sucks.

I think the point is more actually try it. What’s the worse that can happen? They get lit up defensively, don’t score and take bad penalties?
Let us be shocked by Sam Poulin. They don't know what they have.

Reactions: Victor Z

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Wow, look at all these mediocre teams who went through one or more rebuilds who have first-round youth. Why don't we have that? And they're not even that good. That's what gets me.

Edit: sorry to be a smart ass

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Gotta do something. Bottom six is killing them. At least stop carrying 8 d and call up an extra forward to have options.

Reactions: Gurglesons

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Father Time is not here yet, maybe for Ovy but not Crosby/Malkin. There is a reason but it’s got nothing to do with age. Also we only play 20 minutes, that’s the 3rd but that’s more to do with not starting games when the puck drops but when we got an uphill to climb. Players don’t come to work prepared. It’s been this way for way too many years in a row.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Since it's just Harkins on waivers, the injuries must not be that significant. Otherwise you could keep him up, even as the 13th forward, if you were putting Acciari on LTIR.
Or they need to call someone up to play center, maybe?
Or Harkins just sucks and they realized that after watching him for a few games.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

Yep. Flyers are already due for their yearly Tortorella meltdown/15 game slide into bottom-feeder obscurity. Definitely starts somewhere in the midst of that Dallas-Vegas-Carolina run.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From Taylor…

Interesting developments here. So, it's Matt Nieto in Harkins' old spot on the third line and the injured defenseman Butcher is filling in on the fourth line, since they can't call any forwards up until 2 p.m. Then the third defense pairing is split up. P.O Joseph is with John Ludvig and Chad Ruhwedel is with Ryan Shea. No way of telling from this which D pairing is the third pairing yet, too early to know for sure. They run these simultaneously, like they're going head-to-head.

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Bryan Rust
Reilly Smith - Evgeni Malkin - Rickard Rakell
Drew O'Connor - Lars Eller - Matt Nieto
(Will Butcher) - Noel Acciari - Jeff Carter

Ryan Graves - Kris Letang
Marcus Pettersson - Erik Karlsson
P.O Joseph - John Ludvig
Ryan Shea - Chad Ruhwedel

Reactions: Zbynek

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Two bets on my part:

1. Harkins isn't at practice because they know he was claimed off waivers.
2. POJ is the one that ends up scratched, not Ruhwedel

I would hate that so much. Partly because I am interested in Ludvig the most. He is the youngest of the group (even younger than POJ) and the biggest. I am really not interested in a Shea - ruh experiment at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad