Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Mike Sullivan was asked after practice what he'd like to see from Joseph moving forward.

"P.O's played a lot of games for us and is a solid defenseman," Sullivan said. "I think when P.O is at his best, he's using his mobility and his stick, and his smarts to win pucks to help us get out of our end. He defends well with his mobility and his stick, he's active off the offensive blue line. We can play him on the second power play, he distributes the puck pretty well up top if we choose to play him on the second power play. These are all the things that he's done for our team when he's at his best and he's a very capable defenseman in that regard."

Sullivan did note, though, that Joseph hasn't been "at his best" as of late.

"It's our challenge as a coaching staff to help him get there," Sullivan said. "We'll work through these challenges with all our players. You know, every player goes through ups and downs in the season where sometimes they're at their best, and sometimes for whatever reason, they're not. I mean, I just think it's part of sports, it's the human aspect of what we do. And it's our job is a coaching staff to work with these guys and try to help them capture their very best game."

He could say this about Ruh, the entire bottom six, Graves, and Rakell…but the only player getting scratched is the non-vet lol….

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa is really good…next NJD…we’ll be losing to them pretty soon lol…we also play Dallas and the Avs who killed us last season…wouldn’t surprise me if the Flyers were above us in the standings for the rest of this month, maybe this season…I havent thought much of our playoff chances even after we got EK…I think I was one of the few here who voted they wouldnt make the playoffs
Flyers haven't had Couturier for a while and he's back, finally healthy and a beast. It's a weird team. They have youth, vets, inbetweeners and then some very solid players and a good goalie. It doesn't take much if they buy into a system that works. Doesn't scare me is a whatever statement. This is the Pens. Their stupidity is unparalleled in this league. Every team should scare these f***ing morons.

It’s the system too (well the couch’s use of players more) but what I mean is not that it’s the individual player…we’re overall too old in the pieces around Sid and Geno…Dallas‘ best players don’t include Pavs…or Benn ..it’s Heiskanen, Hintz, Robertson, Oettinger and they’re all young…we have nothing like that
Could we have that though? Not at the higher end versions of them but even some intriguing enough prospects to fill in the top 9? Yeah I think we could have but the coach pissed those opportunities away and hanging on to 1 too many of these idiots doesn't help when they could have maximized a return to add some youth that a new coach would actually use.

I will maintain we could have had 2 solid top 9 wingers in Puustinen and Hallander but Sullivan blew his dipshit wad giving all of the opportunity to Heinen for whatever f***ing reason and whatever jobber on the 4th line he was enamoured with.

For me currently the worst thing to watch is Drew O'Connor and his development absolutely destroyed. Sullivan neutered what he should be and could be by f***ing with his usage and deployment. Anytime he showed flashes of offense and creativity he essentially had his minutes cut, but when he plays like a passive plug, they play him. He had top 9 potential and they essentially groomed him into some checking winger that shouldn't think outside of the box or else.

Even Nylander, he was intriguing enough to try over Harkins and some of the other vets Dubas went ham on for Sully.

The Pens since the two cups have been a massive waste of opportunities.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think the only missing piece around here... is kindness.
giphy.gif

Reactions: tom_servo

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He could say this about Ruh, the entire bottom six, Graves, and Rakell…but the only player getting scratched is the non-vet lol….
Classic Sully.

Carry 2 extra defensemen that they should be trying and instead double down on ignorance.

It's the Sullivan method. Ruhwedel is untouchable and it's f***ing hilarious. Like I said, waive one of them, deal Ruhwedel, Harkins is waived to call up Zo but it would also allow them cap to sit Carter and call up another winger.

But nah. The status quo by a mental midget of a coach.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Classic Sully.

Carry 2 extra defensemen that they should be trying and instead double down on ignorance.

It's the Sullivan method. Ruhwedel is untouchable and it's f***ing hilarious. Like I said, waive one of them, deal Ruhwedel, Harkins is waived to call up Zo but it would also allow them cap to sit Carter and call up another winger.

But nah. The status quo by a mental midget of a coach.
You just don't understand. Harkins is the entire reason our bottom six sucks and our bottom pairing got caved in. Remove him and we're good.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
There's a lot I find off about roster changes for bottom 6 players and I definitely have always felt Sullivan definitely submits a list of the players or types he wants and that's who we get and then blame the GM. To see three gms get the same types that Sullivan seems to like using only to later realize they suck, just isn't some random coincidence.

Harkins sucked in Winnipeg and the scouting report on him was that he was a run of the mill 13th forward at best aka do not waste your time on him type and yet Dubas got him anyway. For a bloke that's interesting and intelligent with analytics to suddenly be that off just doesn't sit right with me.

Colin White I see as a proper gamble with risk and reward for pedigree potentially. But Harkins? You have Hallander that should have been given a shot or Zohorna at the least.

Then two defensemen that are indeed different and what we could use are ignored for Ruhwedel.

Dubas, a smart fella by all accounts can't be this stupidly blind already.

The one time a GM went and got a bloke based on feedback from his Captain was Reaves and Sullivan pouted about it and we've essentially casted off any grit we've gotten since. Tanev, McGinn, etc. They all changed their style of play in Pittsburgh for Sullys system and blokes here blamed the players who then went back to their game elsewhere as regulars.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There's a lot I find off about roster changes for bottom 6 players and I definitely have always felt Sullivan definitely submits a list of the players or types he wants and that's who we get and then blame the GM. To see three gms get the same types that Sullivan seems to like using only to later realize they suck, just isn't some random coincidence.

Harkins sucked in Winnipeg and the scouting report on him was that he was a run of the mill 13th forward at best aka do not waste your time on him type and yet Dubas got him anyway. For a bloke that's interesting and intelligent with analytics to suddenly be that off just doesn't sit right with me.

Colin White I see as a proper gamble with risk and reward for pedigree potentially. But Harkins? You have Hallander that should have been given a shot or Zohorna at the least.

Then two defensemen that are indeed different and what we could use are ignored for Ruhwedel.

Dubas, a smart fella by all accounts can't be this stupidly blind already.

The one time a GM went and got a bloke based on feedback from his Captain was Reaves and Sullivan pouted about it and we've essentially casted off any grit we've gotten since. Tanev, McGinn, etc. They all changed their style of play in Pittsburgh for Sullys system and blokes here blamed the players who then went back to their game elsewhere as regulars.
Harkins was among the AHL leaders in goals last year. The theory was that perhaps he had figured out some of his offensive game to go along with decent defensive metrics. It was worth a flyer.

Hallander took his ball and went home. He's not an option. He's still technically Penguins property, but he's playing in Europe because he didn't want to compete for a job at age 22. Good riddance.

I think all of us agree that starting with 8 defensemen and 12 forwards is a bizarre choice. That's on Dubas, because he made the choice to open a roster spot in order to make a claim and then chose to make that waiver claim on another lefty defenseman.

Personally, I think they might be waiting something out or have something in their back pocket.

Mark Psysk is still with the team despite being on a PTO in camp and being injured. They raved about Austin Wagner, another PTO, and then did nothing with him. Andreas Johnsson hasn't played a game for WBS yet despite everyone thinking he might even be an option for the Pens when he was first signed.

In short, there seems to be a lot of moving parts and we're only four games into the season. I think it's fair to let things play out a little bit more to see what might unfold.

EDIT: Also, Tanev didn't change his style in Pittsburgh. He had 244 hits in his first year in Pittsburgh, the second highest total of his career. He had 190 in 68 games the following year.

He was signed by Rutherford and left available for expansion by Hextall. That should tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Factorial

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Ottawa is really good…next NJD…we’ll be losing to them pretty soon lol…we also play Dallas and the Avs who killed us last season…wouldn’t surprise me if the Flyers were above us in the standings for the rest of this month, maybe this season…I havent thought much of our playoff chances even after we got EK…I think I was one of the few here who voted they wouldnt make the playoffs
Weren't we 2-0 v the Avs last season?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Good riddance to a player that at 22yrs old, was smart enough to see the coach was going to keep ignoring young players like him over vets?

That's the stance? I don't blame Hallander at all. If you're him and you see how things keep playing out on this team with this coach, would you stay? Or would you go back and get better usage in a better league and hope a team sees it and trades for your rights so you can get a fair shot?

The latter is the right move each time in the Sully era. I'm shocked more haven't left to be honest.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah,I think I might have been thinking of the year before but their speed hurts us

And that's an Avs team that still hasn't had Gabriel Landeskog for like what 2yrs counting this current season where he won't return either. Crazy to lose a player like that and still find others to fill the void. Pretty sure Lando is done, that knee just won't be the same and apparently he hopes to come back this season maybe late but it reminds me of Geno and his knee.

The fact that Geno is still a beast and going strong at 37...

Reactions: Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Harkins was among the AHL leaders in goals last year. The theory was that perhaps he had figured out some of his offensive game to go along with decent defensive metrics. It was worth a flyer.

Hallander took his ball and went home. He's not an option. He's still technically Penguins property, but he's playing in Europe because he didn't want to compete for a job at age 22. Good riddance.

I think all of us agree that starting with 8 defensemen and 12 forwards is a bizarre choice. That's on Dubas, because he made the choice to open a roster spot in order to make a claim and then chose to make that waiver claim on another lefty defenseman.

Personally, I think they might be waiting something out or have something in their back pocket.

Mark Psysk is still with the team despite being on a PTO in camp and being injured. They raved about Austin Wagner, another PTO, and then did nothing with him. Andreas Johnsson hasn't played a game for WBS yet despite everyone thinking he might even be an option for the Pens when he was first signed.

In short, there seems to be a lot of moving parts and we're only four games into the season. I think it's fair to let things play out a little bit more to see what might unfold.

EDIT: Also, Tanev didn't change his style in Pittsburgh. He had 244 hits in his first year in Pittsburgh, the second highest total of his career. He had 190 in 68 games the following year.

He was signed by Rutherford and left available for expansion by Hextall. That should tell you all you need to know.
I was thinking about this today as well. I could see Johnsson and the Pens mutually terminating his contract and he goes off to Europe, Pens open up a spot on 50-man roster.
Wagner and Pysyk could be signed at some point. I'm guessing Ruhwedel could be waived if his play doesn't pick up, Joseph traded for a pick...
But I'm not sure how they get more goals from the bottom 6.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Smith Malkin Rakell
O'Connor Eller Acciari
Nieto Zohorna Wagner
Carter

Graves Letang
Pettersson Karlsson
Ludvig Pysyk
Shea

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Good riddance to a player that at 22yrs old, was smart enough to see the coach was going to keep ignoring young players like him over vets?

That's the stance? I don't blame Hallander at all. If you're him and you see how things keep playing out on this team with this coach, would you stay? Or would you go back and get better usage in a better league and hope a team sees it and trades for your rights so you can get a fair shot?

The latter is the right move each time in the Sully era. I'm shocked more haven't left to be honest.
Hallander spent two seasons in North America in his early 20s.

He had just finished his entry level contract. If he doesn't want to compete for a job and expects something handed to him, then yeah, good riddance.

By the way, he has one assist and zero goals in 11 games in Sweden. He's a minus-9.

Timra IK can have him for the next five years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And that's an Avs team that still hasn't had Gabriel Landeskog for like what 2yrs counting this current season where he won't return either. Crazy to lose a player like that and still find others to fill the void. Pretty sure Lando is done, that knee just won't be the same and apparently he hopes to come back this season maybe late but it reminds me of Geno and his knee.

The fact that Geno is still a beast and going strong at 37...

But Geno is not a top 100 player according to the experts…lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I was thinking about this today as well. I could see Johnsson and the Pens mutually terminating his contract and he goes off to Europe, Pens open up a spot on 50-man roster.
Wagner and Pysyk could be signed at some point. I'm guessing Ruhwedel could be waived if his play doesn't pick up, Joseph traded for a pick...
But I'm not sure how they get more goals from the bottom 6.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Smith Malkin Rakell
O'Connor Eller Acciari
Nieto Zohorna Wagner
Carter

Graves Letang
Pettersson Karlsson
Ludvig Pysyk
Shea
The fact that Johnsson hasn't played at all in WBS while they're rotating all of the other vets is really odd. He's reportedly not injured, either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not going to assume anything about Hallander's justification for wanting to go home, but he's been so shit in the SHL so far this year that I really struggle to imagine a way that the Penguins are missing him.

He looks like he got fat and comfy after going back home and getting a 5 year deal, which would explain why he's been so god damn bad to start this year. It's a shame because I thought he was potentially a good bottom-6 option going forward, but it's pretty clear that's not going to be the case going forward.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I'm not going to assume anything about Hallander's justification for wanting to go home, but he's been so shit in the SHL so far this year that I really struggle to imagine a way that the Penguins are missing him.

He looks like he got fat and comfy after going back home and getting a 5 year deal, which would explain why he's been so god damn bad to start this year. It's a shame because I thought he was potentially a good bottom-6 option going forward, but it's pretty clear that's not going to be the case going forward.
I was pretty high on him. Now I like Gruden and Andonovski for their style of play. Probably won't amount to anything.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
His unsustainable points per 60 tho.
I love me some Big Z. ALL Day son!

I do feel slightly bad watching everyone around here waiting for DOC to amount to anything more than a generic/meh undrafted college FA...it's like watching a kid wait up all night staring at the chimney watching for Santa.

Like I've said before I'd love for him to be half as good as what people think he is...everyone is really gonna make me point out the elephant in the room here. I don't see DOC being much better than our favorite hero ZAR.

Eller may be the only pleasant surprise to this point in the bottom 6. That's mostly bc I figured his legs were shot. Here's to hoping he can play to his contract.

Long story short. Nothing in this bottom 6 is nailed to the floor. Shuttle their butts around til you find someone worth anything.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
It's pretty crazy that Sullivan is so bad he's doubling down on his 2 lines of scoring.

Next year, he's going to try to play two goalies and 4 skaters with L3 and L4...

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad