Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
From Taylor…

Interesting developments here. So, it's Matt Nieto in Harkins' old spot on the third line and the injured defenseman Butcher is filling in on the fourth line, since they can't call any forwards up until 2 p.m. Then the third defense pairing is split up. P.O Joseph is with John Ludvig and Chad Ruhwedel is with Ryan Shea. No way of telling from this which D pairing is the third pairing yet, too early to know for sure. They run these simultaneously, like they're going head-to-head.

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Bryan Rust
Reilly Smith - Evgeni Malkin - Rickard Rakell
Drew O'Connor - Lars Eller - Matt Nieto
(Will Butcher) - Noel Acciari - Jeff Carter

Ryan Graves - Kris Letang
Marcus Pettersson - Erik Karlsson
P.O Joseph - John Ludvig
Ryan Shea - Chad Ruhwedel
It's a start, but that bum DOC needs a kick in the ass (a healthy scratch). Or better yet a trade to Western Canada.

I like @Empoleon8771 's idea of dangling POJ for a 3rd liner. We need a difference maker on that line and I don't think Nieto is that guy. Nieto should be where Carter is (with Big Jeff in the press box) but until we have those guys in those positions performing in front of Sully's face it won't happen.

I think POJ has some solid value especially at his cap hit, I wonder if there are some cap-strapped teams who could give him a shot at 2LD. POJ has top-4 d potential, he showed that quite a bit last year. But with Petts and Graves ahead of him on the depth chart here it's a tough situation for him to grow.

What is encouraging, though, is seeing Dubas isn't afraid to waive those fringe guys. Hope he continues.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It's pretty crazy that Sullivan is so bad he's doubling down on his 2 lines of scoring.

Next year, he's going to try to play two goalies and 4 skaters with L3 and L4...
that would show that sully is willing to think outside of the box, and was willing to try deferent things....... nah! that's not sully.:shakehead

• Haha
Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
But Geno is not a top 100 player according to the experts…lol
107th baby!

Who is the youth that Dallas plays in advantageous ways? Dallas top three scorers are 34+.

There's no apparent youth to be unlocked on the Penguins. Everyone is suffering from wishful thinking. Other teams' youth are first rounders. 14th overall type players. Many of those in the league.

You think the difference is missing a piece like Ty Dellandrea?
I have no idea what team to envy in this league.
I envy any team that doesn't have to deal with an ignoramus like Sullivan.

Exceptions for just - "f*** that franchise forever" are the Hawks, Flyers, Jackets, Caps, Rangers, Islanders, Oilers, Canucks, Habs and Bruins.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think the best part of the game was Ruhwedel was dressed over POJ and instead of playing Ludvig dipshit Sully went hard in the paint for Ruhwedel again and boy did he look like a flaming bag of shit again and oh wait, yeah that's right - his pair sucked the most yet again and this time POJ can't take the blame for his shit.

They might as well just waive Shea and call up Rathbone and leave Ruhwedel in St Louis.

How is Dubas not seeing what's going on right now, isn't new.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

all is good folks..nothing to see here…Pensburgh looked at new tracking data from the NHL, and what a surprise, “Drilling down on shot location was educational, though painful to see the struggles. Overall, the Pens are shooting 9.4%, below the league average of 9.9%.”

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am trying to give the coach any little shred of benefit of the doubt that I can summon, but I did not see this coming, I thought that this was a tipping point where he can finally see through his ego and actually start coaching this team, making players accountable, working with the ones that actually show something and objetively evaluating their performance...

just saw this with Rust, I would do the same, however that still does not address the most critical problem , not having anyone infront of the goalie screening EK's and Geno's shots...that would require moving Jake, and also benching Geno or Sid occasionally for their half ass effort

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I am trying to give the coach any little shred of benefit of the doubt that I can summon, but I did not see this coming, I thought that this was a tipping point where he can finally see through his ego and actually start coaching this team, making players accountable, working with the ones that actually show something and objetively evaluating their performance...

Really? Have you watched Mike Sullivan coach before?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He is holding players accountable…lol..didn’t you see Rakell off the PP1 and his boy Rusty on it instead? POJ back with Ruh? Come on, huge changes have been made that will make this team better!

“All we have to do is work harder and smarter…it really just comes down to players buckling down. The way we play has been proven to work” — Mike Sullivan

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol... so close, Copernicus.

Guentzel is the real dud on PP1... not Raks (who to be fair also isn't good).

Ruh should be an easy scratch. But gets a pass as usual.

"BIG CHANGES ARE A-COMIN!"

Reactions: vodeni

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In a vacuum, I'm fine taking Rakell off for Rust. I'd take Jake off for Letang, Smith, or Carter, too. If stuff's not working change it.

The issue is that while Rakell got 5 games to stink it up on the PP, Rust will now be given 30.

Sticking with GCRu and Ruhwedel at 5v5 is my bigger gripe.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Ruhwedel thing is all about the PK. He's played the most minutes of any defenseman shorthanded. It's clear they don't trust POJ or Shea to kill penalties, and they're keeping Karlsson's minutes limited there.

It's Letang, Graves, Pettersson and Ruhwedel.

They need to crap or get off the pot with Ludvig. Is he a viable option or not?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Ah, the first (of what I can only estimate will be many) time of the season I can dust off the ol’ reliable.

200w.gif

Mike Sullivan hockey, baby.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think one of the attributes of a good coach/leader is being able to identify where the problem is. Sully just outright denies there is one.
“We have to play harder and smarter. The fact that we haven’t been able to do so for two years says nothing about the job I’m doing” — Mike Sullivan

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He is holding players accountable…lol..didn’t you see Rakell off the PP1 and his boy Rusty on it instead?
I actually don't mind that right now. Rust is in much better form to start this season. He's had seasons where he put up good PP numbers.
He was awful there last year, but I'll reserve judgment. It's not like Rakell is doing much atm.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad