LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Kempe is too consistently good to be involved in a reasonable trade for Laine.

Most likely, it depends on how LA would see it.

Laine is the better player when both are healthy. But how much is that worth is anyones guess at this point.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ignore RAPM and advanced stats. What attributes on the ice does Patrik Laine have, his skillset, his effect on the game, that gives him a 91% overall rating?

Or tell me how what you call a "below average 5v5 player" ends up with a higher 5v5 scoring rate than everyone on the Carolina Hurricanes?
You can’t ignore those things then try to use the rating that is fed by it to make a position. The RAPM folks create the WAR metric. do some research on its measurement.

read the write up. stop asking explanation questions when you dont want an explanation and refuse to read how it works.

in the future, be absolute sure you understand something before accusing someone else of the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can’t ignore those things then try to use the rating that is fed by it to make a position. The RAPM folks create the WAR metric. do some research on its measurement.

read the write up. stop asking explanation questions when you dont want an explanation and refuse to read how it works.

in the future, be absolute sure you understand something before accusing someone else of the same.

You're trying really, really hard to avoid admitting that Patrik Laine is a high end 5v5 player.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You're trying really, really hard to avoid admitting that Patrik Laine is a high end 5v5 player.
no im not, you arent reading the explanation to know that isnt true. but im done here because you are wrong and refusing to read the material given.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Yeah didn't think that LA would make that offer. Kempe and a 2nd or something like that would be reasonable.
No one is giving up Kempe for Laine. He might have one of the best contracts in the league for what Kempe brings. A 40 goal scorer that plays a 200-foot game with blazing speed @ $5.5m a year isn't being moved for an often injured offensive only forward @ $8.7m a year.

And trust me when I say that I'd want Laine on LA because I think he'd fit well with either Kopitar or Byfield. The problem is Laine is over paid by at minimum $3m right now with the injury history and player assistance program stuff. LA just doesn't have the cap space to bring him in unless Gavrikov or PLD goes the other way. Because LA isn't moving any big to medium contracts of Kopitar, Kempe, Danault, Fiala, Doughty, Anderson or Moore and still needs to pay Byfield and a #1 goalie. Also, moving Gavrikov for Laine just creates a huge hole on LA's blueline that it just would be worth it defensively.

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Most likely, it depends on how LA would see it.

Laine is the better player when both are healthy. But how much is that worth is anyones guess at this point.
Kempe is definitely the better player. They both have similar offensive stats but Kempe plays a full 200-foot game and is a staple on the PK. Laine would struggle on the Kings defensive heavy style of gameplay. Most players that come to the Kings have their offensive number drop and when players leave the Kings the rise significantly. Which makes me sad to see LA about to move Kaliyev because he's gonna pot 25 goals in the next 2 years and beyond.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
! @Viqsi it's happening!

(we really want Gavrikov back)
:amazed:
:vhappy:
woohoo.gif

God dammit.
:cry:
raincloud.gif

why must you toy with my heart so :(

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Its explained.

Overall WAR number doesn’t cover up he is below average in 5v5 play. A 9 million dollar player you have to hide in 5v5 play isn’t worth much
There are other stats which show his real qualities. Laine played very good in 5v5. Also he made partners better and again. Do you see our defense? It was often so drying similar in the last season

Peeke, Gudbranson, Berni, Gavrikov, BOQVIST, Bayreuther, Blankenburg. Only Boqvist was be able to made the first pass. Forwards must return for puck more to their defensive zone. And I do not count bad assists from DZ, losing the puck.

Kempe is definitely the better player. They both have similar offensive stats but Kempe plays a full 200-foot game and is a staple on the PK. Laine would struggle on the Kings defensive heavy style of gameplay. Most players that come to the Kings have their offensive number drop and when players leave the Kings the rise significantly. Which makes me sad to see LA about to move Kaliyev because he's gonna pot 25 goals in the next 2 years and beyond.
Interesting how Kempe would play with Roslovic/Jenner as centers and our often AHL level defence (because of injuries). Despite more better partners had worse stats than Laine.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Laine is in the mould of Phil Kessel at this point. He can't drive a team to success rather he can be the complimentary piece.

Carolina would seem the best fit what with the team set up to win now and the big Finnish contingent there although I wouldn't mind him on the Bruins albeit for less money since his salary is going to put off many teams.

Worse come to worst he can light up Liiga again with Tappara for a year.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine is in the mould of Phil Kessel at this point. He can't drive a team to success rather he can be the complimentary piece.

Carolina would seem the best fit what with the team set up to win now and the big Finnish contingent there although I wouldn't mind him on the Bruins albeit for less money since his salary is going to put off many teams.

Worse come to worst he can light up Liiga again with Tappara for a year.
The complimentary piece has 1 PPG with 3rd line/junior level players and AHL level defense, he's capable of leading the team, give him at least some chance to play in the PO 2021/22 season. One always learns new things. ;)

@Nikishin Go Boom , fact is our PP was not great with Panarin, Jones too. And what's happen if your PP d-men are Bjork and similar... . Also Werenski is not an ideal PP d-man. We had the PP Unit:

Jenner
Laine Marchenko Gaudreau
Boqvist

in the end of the last season. After All Stars Break our PP was very good. But the coaches fanatically want Werenski on 1PP Unit. Zach is great at 5v5, but he's not a player who can pass at PP quickly. On the other side Boqvist is good in it.

I agree with one thing. Patrik must shoot more.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don’t take it personally, Buffalo isn’t to everyone’s tastes either. Columbus was ok, just far from my favorite, and Winnipeg’s weather is like Buffalo but with no nostalgia for me.
Yeah, I've been around these boards long enough. I just like to poke at the ignorance whenever I can. I grew up on Long Island in the 70's and 80's and loved it their too but it's not a place I wanted to live when I was old enough. Columbus is a great gem. Again, I just poke at the ignorance and uninformed because I know they've never left their bubble.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I value cap flexibility highly. Sure, you can sign him and have a better chance to be cap compliant with the rising cap, but it's the opportunity cost that I focus more on.

Unused cap can be a miss management as well. If you feel the player can help you team, you project your salaries forward and come up with various strategies on how to make it work. If it ends up too tight, that's when you avoid it.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Not uncommon in his generation to have high thoughts of themselves with little proof to back it up. Reminds me of Pulujärvi, Zadina and Athanasiou. You can’t have one good season, or a high draft position, and excpect to live of that for the entire career.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I really, really wish Nashville is in on Laine. Don't know we have the pieces to land him, though.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Not uncommon in his generation to have high thoughts of themselves with little proof to back it up. Reminds me of Pulujärvi, Zadina and Athanasiou. You can’t have one good season, or a high draft position, and excpect to live of that for the entire career.
Odd players to compare Laine to...388 points in 480 games.

Puljujarvi and Athansiou combined have 843 games played and don't Even have a combined point total(363) of Laine.

Over the last 3 years Laine was on pace for 80 pts and 30G. This biggest valid criticism of Laine is his consistency and ability to stay healthy, which one could argue are directly related.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think this will be a difficult trade to make.

I'm sure Laine wants to be on a winning team, and salary cap challenges aside, I think teams are wondering how he'd fit in. Not just on the team, but for him to turn his mental health around.

And I don't think anyone can feel sure that they have the answers. I'd imagine front office discussing a potential trade internally and coming up with half a dozen questions about different things.

As a result, it's going to be seen as a risk regardless, and teams don't like giving up good assets for that.

Would be easier to trade him to a non-playoff team that can afford to take a leap of faith. But Laine also has a 10-team NTC.

Interesting to see how it plays out, but if I was a Jackets fan, I'd keep my expectations very low.

Reactions: 12Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad