LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine is in the mould of Phil Kessel at this point. He can't drive a team to success rather he can be the complimentary piece.

Carolina would seem the best fit what with the team set up to win now and the big Finnish contingent there although I wouldn't mind him on the Bruins albeit for less money since his salary is going to put off many teams.

Worse come to worst he can light up Liiga again with Tappara for a year.
Laine never was that player. When healthy and engaged he's an elite goal scorer that can be a handful physically. He's not a line driver and is a black hole defensively. His physical and mental health challenges aren't a plus either. I sense he doesn't necessarily crave the limelight which makes a desire to leave a situation like Columbus interesting. If he's a healthy I think you can count on him for at least 35 goals which has value.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
The BIG question in this case, does Laine is ok mentally
Yes a new start can be a pretty good option.
Past 2 summers he passed a lot of time with Rantanen.
Does Colorado want to acquire him ? Maybe but what is the price ?
I assume 8.7M will be hard to eat on the cap

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I really, really wish Nashville is in on Laine. Don't know we have the pieces to land him, though.

Apparently Friedman said that Columbus is likely looking to having to add a sweetener and/or retain to move him. He's a super attractive bounce-back option but I think the baggage and the salary make it so that he shouldn't cost all THAT much to acquire.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Apparently Friedman said that Columbus is likely looking to having to add a sweetener and/or retain to move him. He's a super attractive bounce-back option but I think the baggage and the salary make it so that he shouldn't cost all THAT much to acquire.
Just take back Kotkaniemi or Kuznetsov and the Canes could take him on at full cap.

Reactions: Neutrinos

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Or Crosby?

This guy has ‘Dubas’ written all over him.

I bet he lands in Pittsburgh
Bad idea for Pittsburgh I think. They're done as contenders, may as well plan for the future and Laine is not a guy to build around once Crosby and Malkin leave.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seattle can afford him without retention and are looking to add to their scoring. I would even be willing to give up a mid-to-late round pick for him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
No chance.
If Waddell could dump all of Laine’s $8.7M over the next 2 yrs for 1 yr of Kuznetsov at $3.9M, you say “ no chance”? I highly doubt that, especially with Friedman suggesting they’ll need to retain or add a sweetener to move Laine.

Now, I’d have to concede that they’d likely only be interested in Kotkaniemi if they saw something there no one else does.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Laine @ 50% for Kakko & Goodrow?

Everyone will scream but his value @ 100% is untradeable. He's a high risk reclamation project that can't stay healthy at this point.

Columbus is going to have to get waxed in order to move him, or just buy him out.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Anyone claiming that Laine has trade value is out of their f***ing mind.

The reigning Norris winner fetched a first rounder and some cap dumps at 10.5 AAV, coming off one of the best seasons from a defenseman in hockey history. Coming in at 8.7 AAV, Laine is a fraction of the athlete Karlsson was. One of the easiest "zero value" -calls out there.

Probably tradeable at something closer to 5.X AAV, but that's a hefty retention for the small return he'll fetch.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Bad idea for Pittsburgh I think. They're done as contenders, may as well plan for the future and Laine is not a guy to build around once Crosby and Malkin leave.
I'm not arguing for a Laine acquisition, but Crosby has 1 year left on his deal, so I would think Pittsburgh is committed to icing a competitive team for at least the '25 season...

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Everyone will scream but his value @ 100% is untradeable. He's a high risk reclamation project that can't stay healthy at this point.
brother, you're the one who came into this very busy thread of people saying they want the player with a trade proposal of your own
Columbus is going to have to get waxed in order to move him, or just buy him out.
brother, you just put barclay goodrow in your trade proposal

Reactions: Viqsi

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That may well be true, but Dubas and the Pens ownership don't see it that way. They want to continue to put pieces around Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson to compete while no longer giving up high picks and prospects to do it. They're going to work angles to bring in UFAs and cheap reclamation projects on short term deals while making room for those few prospects the Pens do have in the system to come up.

Laine only has 2 years left on his deal, so there's no long term commitment here that will complicate a future rebuild. He's likely cheap to acquire given his recent personal struggles. If he bounces back, he's elite level talent that would at the very least help their struggling power play. Despite all that talent, Pens were one of the worst PP teams in the league last year. They would have comfortably made the playoffs with just an average power play. The player they lack there is a RHS trigger man. This fits PIT like a glove, if CBJ is willing to deal in the division.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Would CBJ do Laine for Rakell, straight up?

Edit: Rakell has 4 years left at 5M. put up 30/30 two seasons ago but struggled last. He averages out at a 40-50 pt player, likely with a ceiling of 60pts and a floor of 30.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine @ 50% for Kakko & Goodrow?

This is such a textbook perfect example of Trade Negging I'm inclined to save this post as future reference material for the concept.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How would he know what Columbus is thinking? Waddell himself said he hasn't even talked to Laine or anyone in his camp yet. Columbus doesn't even know what they want at this point. Waddell has JUST finished/in the middle of having his amateur/pro scout meetings. I'm sure they are coming up with a plan, but right now I take everything the analysts are saying considering their talking about information that's months old that involved a different person in charge. Elvis asked for a trade and rescinded it during the season. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

Having said all that, I still think he gets traded if the right deal is offered up. It's an early swing for Waddell to put his mask on the team right away between the draft, hopefully some "minor" FA signings and a big trade. And then who knows, maybe a coaching change as well.

Reactions: squashmaple

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Too many years remaining.
I wonder if Rielly Smith would work. 1 year left at 5MM. Very vanilla 40 or 50 point guy that wouldn't be an embarrassment in the top 6 and could probably bring back a decent pick at the trade deadline. If Columbus is looking to just move off the contract this would be a pretty clean escape.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder if Rielly Smith would work. 1 year left at 5MM. Very vanilla 40 or 50 point guy that wouldn't be an embarrassment in the top 6 and could probably bring back a decent pick at the trade deadline. If Columbus is looking to just move off the contract this would be a pretty clean escape.
It would, but I think we're trying to do a little better than just Remove The Contract.

That and there's the whole "this constitutes potentially helping the Pens and f*** that shit in every possible way" element, but, y'know, that goes without saying. ;)

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm not sure he gets much of a return. 8.7 mil and he has missed 50% of games over the past 3 years.

Not sure it makes sense from a Canucks POV, but I'd offer Mikheyev, Podkolzin and a pick. Value of the pick would be up for debate.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cirelli is a low-end #2C/elite #3C making $6.25 mil and Jeannot is basically a cap dump.

Laine is injury prone but he was PPG and Columbus' best player between 2021-2023. He's a risk and lost value, but let's not act like he's worth nothing.

So not sure where you think the discrepancy is. There is risk associated with Laine, but he played better in Columbus and one down season doesn't completely destroy his value imo.
8.7 million for a guy that is a one dimensional goal scorer who only plays when he wants and doesnt play both ways. Dont even need to get started about the kind of teammate he appears to be, plus he is a risk to be in player assistance program literally right now. He has scored 62 goals since 2020. No team that is serious about winning is dedicating 10% of their cap to a player like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad