LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's not Laine. That's a strawman.
I'm not sure who you're talking about but it sure as hell isn't Patrik Laine. The contract AAV is literally the only part of that sentence that has any basis in reality.

What else does he do exactly. He doesnt kill penalties, he isnt on when the team is defending the lead. He isnt a play maker, he is a finisher which he is good at. He cant stay healthy FACT. He is in the player asssistance program. FACT.

Talented player not a player you dedicate 10% of your cap to if you are serious about winning. I loved the player coming out of his draft but when a player has this many issues he isnt training properly. Its well documented he doesnt participate in team events. He is incredibly inconsistent from an effort stand point.

Reactions: habsterr and Fatass

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What else does he do exactly. He doesnt kill penalties, he isnt on when the team is defending the lead.
He's not normally put on the PK, but he has been on when the team is defending the lead and done adequately. He's been a very capable backchecker and a net positive player 5v5. Has actually made some other folks better on the ice, altho it's not universal - and particularly since Gaudreau isn't one of those guys, this tends to be overlooked and/or dismissed.
He isnt a play maker, he is a finisher which he is good at.
If anything, the reverse has been more true lately. He's gotten surprisingly good at playmaking. His biggest issue defensively here has been that he's also tried to be a transition player, but he loses the puck too easily when doing so, and while he'll push hard to backcheck to make up for it there's just too many times when that isn't good enough because, y'know, transition turnover. The effort is unquestionably there.
He cant stay healthy FACT. He is in the player asssistance program. FACT.
Both true, but nether of those points were in the leading sentence of yours that we both singled out as being a pack of egregious lies.
Its well documented he doesnt participate in team events.
Maybe that was the case in Winnipeg, but not here.
He is incredibly inconsistent from an effort stand point.
Nothing could be further from the truth w/r/t his tenure in union blue. His transition results are devastatingly inconsistent (and the big reason why he still gets pilloried as "bad/low effort defensively" when it's just crappy reads when trying to skate with the puck), and his health has been a constant issue, but that's it.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No chance.
If you're facing paying a sweetener or retaining on Laine and can avoid both by trading for KK, you should jump on that.

Kotkaniemi, who seems eternally snake-bit and probably has no 2C upside at this point is signed long-term at a salary which should be market rate for a defensive 3C by 2026. He is that. Unfortunately, Carolina produces shutdown Cs like they grow on trees so he's totally redundant and an anchor on needed cap space.

That kind of cost-certainty has value though. Some team is going to get him from us for a song, their fans are going to hate it, and in 2 years we'll all be hearing what a genius their GM is for trading for KK when nobody wanted him.

Let's just skip all that and concede now that the GM who gets Kotkaniemi off Carolina for nothing is a genius.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If you're facing paying a sweetener or retaining on Laine and can avoid both by trading for KK, you should jump on that.

Kotkaniemi, who seems eternally snake-bit and probably has no 2C upside at this point is signed long-term at a salary which should be market rate for a defensive 3C by 2026. He is that. Unfortunately, Carolina produces shutdown Cs like they grow on trees so he's totally redundant and an anchor on needed cap space.

That kind of cost-certainty has value though. Some team is going to get him from us for a song, their fans are going to hate it, and in 2 years we'll all be hearing what a genius their GM is for trading for KK when nobody wanted him.

Let's just skip all that and concede now that the GM who gets Kotkaniemi off Carolina for nothing is a genius.
And our counterpoint to that - which is otherwise likely fair - is that we already have Jenner, Sillinger, and Voronkov.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
What else does he do exactly. He doesnt kill penalties, he isnt on when the team is defending the lead. He isnt a play maker, he is a finisher which he is good at.

He doesn't kill penalties no. He's a very good playmaker though. And he plays a two way game, so much so that it takes away from his natural scoring instinct.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would like to know what Laine thinks is the place for him... realistically

Probably in a team where's not a star, somewhere remote where hockey is not the main sport
Maybe Utah where they are starting everything from fresh. So there are no expectations

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
With his injuries and other health issues, he's a big time buy low candidate. I'd imagine he needs to go to a team where he can play second fiddle to get his career back on track, not to another rebuild situation / team where he has to play a big role.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I wonder if Rielly Smith would work. 1 year left at 5MM. Very vanilla 40 or 50 point guy that wouldn't be an embarrassment in the top 6 and could probably bring back a decent pick at the trade deadline. If Columbus is looking to just move off the contract this would be a pretty clean escape.
Smith is my fallback offer if they don't bite on Rakell. I think his return is probably a 3rd or 4th with one year left. Smith is gone either way this offseason.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
You know, it’s funny how outside fanbases continue to tell us CBJ fans what our players are worth in trades. And then when said player gets traded, history has shown that HFCBJ tends to more correctly value our players. I’m looking forward to seeing most of you all be shocked at what Laine eventually returns.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
8.7 million for a guy that is a one dimensional goal scorer who only plays when he wants and doesnt play both ways. Dont even need to get started about the kind of teammate he appears to be, plus he is a risk to be in player assistance program literally right now. He has scored 62 goals since 2020. No team that is serious about winning is dedicating 10% of their cap to a player like that.
Even if you what you said is true (which it's not), teams still pay those players and trade for those players. I'd take Laine over DeBrincat who still costed a 1st++ and is signed for the next 3 years at $7.8 mil.

You might not think Laine has value, but the league does.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I can't see him fetch that much since he couldn't play close to a full season since 2018-2019. That being said, I'd take him in Montreal if Hughes can get rid of some dead wood first.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This is such a textbook perfect example of Trade Negging I'm inclined to save this post as future reference material for the concept.

No idea what trade negging means nor do I care but what I do know is that this dude is the definition of un-movable without a big cap dump coming back the other way. Don't know what the buyout penalties are but you guys would probably be better off going that route. The return will not be pretty.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
You know, it’s funny how outside fanbases continue to tell us CBJ fans what our players are worth in trades. And then when said player gets traded, history has shown that HFCBJ tends to more correctly value our players. I’m looking forward to seeing most of you all be shocked at what Laine eventually returns.
CBJ Fans: Oh Gavrikov/Foligno/Savard/ect is going to get a first.
Other fans: LOL DREAM ON! YOU BE LUCKY TO GET A 2ND!
*Player gets traded with a 1st*
Other Fans: *surprised Pikachu face*

Every...single...time...

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I wouldn't offer Laine 8.700 x 2yrs as a UFA, so I certainly wouldn't give up positive assets for him at that price.

Though, I'm sure someone would/will.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
No idea what trade negging means nor do I care but what I do know is that this dude is the definition of un-movable without a big cap dump coming back the other way. Don't know what the buyout penalties are but you guys would probably be better off going that route. The return will not be pretty.
I can guarantee you, there are teams in this league who are willing to take on his full cap hit. Also, while Laine wants the reset, Columbus are not really in a hurry to move him roster construction wise. Sure, they'd like to do it but they are not desperate to clear his capspace.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure who you're talking about but it sure as hell isn't Patrik Laine. The contract AAV is literally the only part of that sentence that has any basis in reality.
Laine is a career minus 58. He’s a big guy, who can score when interested and healthy. He’s counting 8.7 on the cap for two more seasons. He’s in the league program still. The guys value is as low as it gets.

The usual crowd is circling trying to get an elite player for free or their scraps lol.

Laine is a great player and I have no doubt he could score 50 with the right center & powerplay. Someone is gonna pay up with a 1st + good prospect and look like a genius a few seasons from now
We don’t make any trades. We only express our opinions. The GMs aren’t circling, that’s for sure. There is no steal here.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What else does he do exactly. He doesnt kill penalties, he isnt on when the team is defending the lead. He isnt a play maker, he is a finisher which he is good at. He cant stay healthy FACT. He is in the player asssistance program. FACT.

Talented player not a player you dedicate 10% of your cap to if you are serious about winning. I loved the player coming out of his draft but when a player has this many issues he isnt training properly. Its well documented he doesnt participate in team events. He is incredibly inconsistent from an effort stand point.
Laine was routinely out defending the lead with an empty net while he was a Jet. Doubt you've watched many of his games

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Laine is a career minus 58.
Brady Tkachuck is -57, yet everyone is making trade propoasals for him. That's just what happens when you play for a shitty team.

Not even going to go over the rest of the post. I don't even particularly like Laine, but some people are gravely mistaken on his potential value and interest he would gather around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad