LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Laine played better with power forwards, grinders or players like Chinakhov and Marchenko, so and not playmakers. On the other side he was a real leader, made teammates better. The problem were only injuries (unlucky) and now NHLPA program. It is understandable he wants a fresh start in another team. No pretension.

If that's the case, with Huberdeau out of the equation (if they clash), I think guys like Kadri and Backlund would still synergize with Laine. They can help with the heavy lifting and defensive side of the game while letting him focus on getting his shot off.

It sounds like Sharangovich is a match for Laine's game, but both are RW and Rango is the guy I'd like above Laine on the top line to shelter Laine so he doesn't feel pressured to be the guy. Luckily, maybe someone like Pospisil would mesh with him or even Mangiapane if he isn't included in the trade.

I'm liking the idea of acquiring Laine more and more to slowly recuperate him, but I'm sure other teams would be able to offer more than what I'd prefer the Flames to offer.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If that's the case, with Huberdeau out of the equation (if they clash), I think guys like Kadri and Backlund would still synergize with Laine. They can help with the heavy lifting and defensive side of the game while letting him focus on getting his shot off.

It sounds like Sharangovich is a match for Laine's game, but both are RW and Rango is the guy I'd like above Laine on the top line to shelter Laine so he doesn't feel pressured to be the guy. Luckily, maybe someone like Pospisil would mesh with him or even Mangiapane if he isn't included in the trade.

I'm liking the idea of acquiring Laine more and more to slowly recuperate him, but I'm sure other teams would be able to offer more than what I'd prefer the Flames to offer.
Yeah I keep saying people are going to entertain the idea of Laine once they start to build a team around him and realize he's worth more than a bag of pucks. Florida made their mark on reclamation projects. Also with Calgary your team is on the edge of a do or die retool. If your team doesn't make it and need to focus on a true rebuild in the next year or two and Laine does get back to form you have a SIGNFICIANT piece you can deal to start the rebuild in 2 years time.

Reactions: Fig

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine said he feels better on left side. So no problem.
Also I would like Laine - Pospíšil - Sharangovich (if in Flames), Martin would be an ideal center for him, he really played well there in WC.

Reactions: Indy18 and Fig

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is one of those situations where I might take a peek in a no cap world, but it's too risky for me in this cap era.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
He's missed 117 games in the last 3 years and makes 8.7 million dollars. He also was just in the player assistance program.

You also left off the 45 games / 21 points in CBJ as well (I realize you did the last 3 years but this year also doesn't help).

Do I think he is a cap dump? No he's got too much talent for that. Do I think the return is going to be anything good? Also no.
I agree with this. He puts up good pts when playing, but it's becoming increasingly rare for him to actually be playing. Plus, that cap hit isn't small.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I keep saying people are going to entertain the idea of Laine once they start to build a team around him and realize he's worth more than a bag of pucks. Florida made their mark on reclamation projects. Also with Calgary your team is on the edge of a do or die retool. If your team doesn't make it and need to focus on a true rebuild in the next year or two and Laine does get back to form you have a SIGNFICIANT piece you can deal to start the rebuild in 2 years time.

Yep. The fact he might need some time away or not play a full season isn't a concern with me. We just finished this with Kylington and honestly if he's away, the team drafts a little higher for the next year or two. If we take our time to reclaim him and he recovers and gets good vibes, the time away bodes well for negotiating a great long term contract which amplifies his value (similar to what was originally done with Tanev). If he doesn't work out, it probably means someone else outplayed him anyways, and Calgary isn't worried about a huge hole on RW if they lose him for nothing (assuming the current acquisition cost isn't viewed as a significant step back in a true rebuild).

Laine said he feels better on left side. So no problem.
Also I would like Laine - Pospíšil - Sharangovich (if in Flames), Martin would be an ideal center for him, he really played well there in WC.

OK, it's time to take a step back. I uhh... only sorta like the idea of acquiring Laine because CBJ can still demand a high premium for him.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Yep. The fact he might need some time away or not play a full season isn't a concern with me. We just finished this with Kylington and honestly if he's away, the team drafts a little higher for the next year or two. If we take our time to reclaim him and he recovers and gets good vibes, the time away bodes well for negotiating a great long term contract which amplifies his value (similar to what was originally done with Tanev). If he doesn't work out, it probably means someone else outplayed him anyways, and Calgary isn't worried about a huge hole on RW if they lose him for nothing (assuming the current acquisition cost isn't viewed as a significant step back in a true rebuild).

OK, it's time to take a step back. I uhh... only sorta like the idea of acquiring Laine because CBJ can still demand a high premium for him.
What'cha talkin about' based here on HF and Capfriendly 50% Laine is only worth a 7th pick :P

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I want him on the leafs and a Marner for Laine+ base would work for me personally. The + would be big tho

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I got a feeling i'll get highly criticized for that one but here we go:

CBJ
Anderson (5.5M x3)
Dvorak (4.5M x1)
Struble (ELC x1)
Avs 2nd (57OA)
Oilers 7th (224OA)

MTL
Laine (8.7M x 2)

My thinking was 2 steps.

First, "equalizing" the AAVs for both teams.
In this scenario, CBJ takes on an additional 1.3M in 2024-2025, then save 3.2M AAV in 2025-2026.
As a compensation, they receive 57OA + 224OA (looking at their board, they don't have selections in rounds 2 and 7 this year, might be of value to them being in a rebuild to have a few more magic beans in the air.) Dvorak is in a contract year so he'll help the young Cs on the dot and then could be flipped at the TDL for additional 2nd round pick(s) as well.

Overall, this aspect favors CBJ (cap/picks).

Second, giving value for Laine.
That one is hard to tell, as we don't know if they'll pick a F or a D at 4OA.
But, looking at their up & coming prospects on D, the "weaker" side of the two is LD. (Especially with Provorov potentially walking at the end of the year.) Struble adds a nosy 4LD potential to their NHL group of Ds immediately.

Obviously, a healthy & producing Laine is worth more than a 4LD, but there are a few warts at play here. Nevertheless, this aspect favors MTL (talent).

An ugly quantity for quantity trade, but that's one way I could see the cap/value work for both sides.
Pass.

I mean it works because Anderson is gone and the Habs gain cap space, but not that desperate for him. He likely won't be able to handle the pressure in Montreal and Montreal is likely on his no trade list.

derkejohnlee

May 3, 2017
To Columbus:
Mikheyev
Podkolzin
Poolman (put on LTIR)
Raty

To Canucks:
Laine at 6.7M (Columbus retains 2M)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lmao of course he wants a change of scenery again. Dude needs to try and learn how to have work ethic.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
He should be fresh as it'll be 8 or 9 months since he's played full tilt. I thought that concussion was a bit more extreme than the media reported/knew. As far as losing family members...it happens to EVERYONE! Grieve, mourn and remember but you can't let it ruin you. Sad but true...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is one of those situations where I might take a peek in a no cap world, but it's too risky for me in this cap era.

Depends on the cap structure on any given team. Cap did grow $4.5M and probably grows more than the projected $92M for the following season. Lots of teams can fit this in and you better bet a contract is going the other way too.

If it was still a Covid flat cap, his value would be very bad. With the little raise and more to come, it's not as big of an issue as it was.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Doesn't help that he's so brittle but certainly wouldn't mind Dallas taking a flier on him (with Columbus retaining part of that salary, obviously).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want him on the leafs and a Marner for Laine+ base would work for me personally. The + would be big tho

Marner going to waive to go to an island with Gaudreau? Doubt it.

How many games is said team paying for? His lack of staying healthy hurts his value, and not just a little bit

The factor in this is supply/demand and there will be teams knocking on the door. Doubt there will be desperation but with several teams in a little bidding war, his value will be fine. Won't be crazy high but it won't be crazy low either.

Jackets will either have to retain or take a contract back. Then futures are added to make it worth it for their rebuild.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Past 2-years (EDIT: meaning 21-22 & 22-23) he was the offensive driver in CBJ. If a move gets made and someone expects a floaty shooter with deadly shot & zero defense, they are likely going to be disappointed in his shot and blown away by his back checking and two-way play in general :D His shot just hasn't been what it once was for years, it's still good, but not best-of-the-league good and he used to be able to get it off from insane positions and one-time pucks where you'd think the pass is way off until you see him shoot it. He also hasn't been playing with the kind of goal scorer mentality I'd love to see.

His health is a huge question mark, he's been super unlucky past couple years so he might be fine or he might be a perennial 50-60 games guy, if I was dealing for him I'd expect the latter and be positively surprised by anything more. I mean 4 seasons in a row more or less hampered by injuries, even if they seem individual ones in isolation and many have been incidents where "anyone" would've been injured, that's still concerning.

Btw. AFAIK he's still in the PAP.

On a human level his struggles are very understandable, so the upside here is after an extended break from hockey he might be in the best shape physically he's been in years and if the mental issues are a thing of the past and he's got his life in order, he might come back and play the best hockey of his life.

I realize this is the mains and any Laine thread is going to be a shitshow with witty one liners and "dude is lazy" drive by comments from people who watch him for 4 games a year if that, and those through the lense of someone who had already made up their minds on him when he was still a teenager, but as someone who has watched him play hockey a lot for the past 8+ years my honest opinion is he's a very good player when healthy and is capable of P/GP baseline production and well above that if he gets on a roll.

To me his biggest problem never has been not trying enough, but trying too hard. If he has come to realize there's way more important things than black rubber puck in life, that could be very good for his future as a hockey player as well. He just needs to get his confidence and enjoyment of the game back.

That said I wouldn't be surprised to never see him lace them up again, I simply have no idea at this point. If there ever was a guy who needs a total reset, that's probably him. That last concussion also seemed more brutal than people perhaps realize, he was clearly nothing like his usual self when he started playing again and then soon entered the program. I'm sure whatever his problems are/were have deeper roots than that, but it could also very well be that made everything reach the tipping point - depression, mental problems etc. are very common concussion after effects.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is a place where he can fly comfortably under the radar. I dont think it'll happen but compared to Toronto or Montreal there isn't anywhere near that pressure to perform.

Most assume he wants to go somewhere warm and no attention but we really don't know that. And he really don't control his faith. 10 team NTC. Jackets will try to move him but doubt they will liquidate their asset like some fans think they will.

Reactions: Ice9

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Past 2-years he was the offensive driver in CBJ. If a move gets made and someone expects a floaty shooter with deadly shot & zero defense, they are likely going to be disappointed in his shot and blown away by his back checking and two-way play in general :D His shot just hasn't been what it once was for years, it's still good, but not best-of-the-league good and he used to be able to get it off from insane positions and one-time pucks where you'd think the pass is way off until you see him shoot it. He also hasn't been playing with the kind of goal scorer mentality I'd love to see.

His health is a huge question mark, he's been super unlucky past couple years so he might be fine or he might be a perennial 50-60 games guy, if I was dealing for him I'd expect the latter and be positively surprised by anything more. I mean 4 seasons in a row more or less hampered by injuries, even if they seem individual ones in isolation and many have been incidents where "anyone" would've been injured, that's still concerning.

On a human level his struggles are very understandable, so the upside here is after an extended break from hockey he might be in the best shape physically he's been in years and if the mental issues are a thing of the past and he's got his life in order, he might come back and play the best hockey of his life.

I realize this is the mains and any Laine thread is going to be a shitshow with witty one liners and "dude is lazy" drive by comments from people who watch him for 4 games a year if that, and those through the lense of someone who had already made up their minds on him when he was still a teenager, but as someone who has watched him play hockey a lot for the past 8+ years my honest opinion is he's a very good player when healthy and is capable of P/GP baseline production and well above that if he gets on a roll.

To me his biggest problem never has been not trying enough, but trying too hard. If he has come to realize there's way more important things than black rubber puck in life, that could be very good for his future as a hockey player as well. He just needs to get his confidence and enjoyment of the game back.

That said I wouldn't be surprised to never see him lace them up again, I simply have no idea at this point. If there ever was a guy who needs a total reset, that's probably him. That last concussion also seemed more brutal than people perhaps realize, he was clearly nothing like his usual self when he started playing again and then soon entered the program. I'm sure whatever his problems are/were have deeper roots than that, but it could also very well be that made everything reach the tipping point - depression, mental problems etc. are very common concussion after effects.
too much sense in this post

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Most assume he wants to go somewhere warm and no attention but we really don't know that. And he really don't control his faith. 10 team NTC. Jackets will try to move him but doubt they will liquidate their asset like some fans think they will.
Yep, he'd be in the lineup this fall before I give him away!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Past 2-years he was the offensive driver in CBJ. If a move gets made and someone expects a floaty shooter with deadly shot & zero defense, they are likely going to be disappointed in his shot and blown away by his back checking and two-way play in general :D His shot just hasn't been what it once was for years, it's still good, but not best-of-the-league good and he used to be able to get it off from insane positions and one-time pucks where you'd think the pass is way off until you see him shoot it. He also hasn't been playing with the kind of goal scorer mentality I'd love to see.

Well stated bravo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad