LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why does Chicago take a salary dump and move down in the draft?

I don't get it.. Winnipeg is far from a big market but the media is very big market-like. He didn't like playing 2nd fiddle and wanted to lead a team. Now he's got the chance in one of the lowest pressure environments there is, and he can't even do that.

Buddy wants to be a huge fish in an ocean, but he can't even be a medium fish in a tiny pond
Laine in Columbus from 2021-2024:

• his father passed away (I know the CBJ had nothing to do with it, but it happened during that period)
  • 7 injuries include concussion
  • 2 illnesses (one COVID-19)
  • NHLPA programm

I think most players would like a fresh start in the new team. And it doesn't matter which team they would play on.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
This guy has 1 PPG and close to 1 PPG (52 in 55 games) often with AHL level defense, last season Werenski only played 13 games, Bean 14 and over 50 games played by Peeke (80), Gudbranson (70), Berni (59), Gavrikov (52), Bayreuther (51), over 30 - Boqvist (46), Blankenburg (36), Bjork (33). Only Boqvist had excellent offense, other either average (Gudbranson, Gavrikov, maybe Berni) or under average. The center was Roslovic. Rangers fans can tell you what kind of player he is. He even as a winger is just a bit above average, let alone a center.

And was one of the few who wasn't dependent on partners.

He played 14 games this season after his concussion and still had 7 points, including 5 points (3+2) in his last 6 games.

Ignore that guy. Personally I was thinking for a while now that the flames could consider acquiring Laine to play with huberdeau, but only if the acquiring cost makes sense.

Shelter both guys on the second line, lower the pressure and try to rehab both. On paper they might have chemistry. Ask Laine to pass more to huberdeau and huberdeau to shoot more from Laine passes on occasion, but mostly let both guys go back to their original style of game.

Flames are pretty good with being patient with guiding players through the players assistance program.

Was hoping for a scenario like a Mangiapane or Kuzmenko basis with a minor add, but that's probably a pipe dream. Prefer not Rango as it might pressure Laine to play to line minutes. CBJ might prefer a C in Backlund and Kadri, but not sure either guy would be interested in uprooting their young families. Concept might only work if part of the value is calgary sending less cap back to CBJ.

He's certainly on my wish list, but not sure CBJ would be interested in entertaining chats with the flames.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hard to gauge what Laine's value is right now

Dvorak (1 year left at 4.45 M) + Habs 2nd 2025 + Rohrer for Laine

Habs lineup next season:

Laine - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Beck - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Stuble/Barron

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Neutral fan here are you serious? Laine has no where close to that value.
Cirelli is a low-end #2C/elite #3C making $6.25 mil and Jeannot is basically a cap dump.

Laine is injury prone but he was PPG and Columbus' best player between 2021-2023. He's a risk and lost value, but let's not act like he's worth nothing.

So not sure where you think the discrepancy is. There is risk associated with Laine, but he played better in Columbus and one down season doesn't completely destroy his value imo.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He's making 8.7 million dollars. Was in the player assistance program. Hasn't played more than 56 games in a season in more than 4 years. What are we talking about here lol.
A potential first line Winger should he be able to take hockey seriously as a career.

I hope him all the best and that his troubles will heal.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Could a Laine for pietrangelo basis make sense?

For VGK, not playing full season isn't a problem, it's a feature. Replace Marchessault? Rejuggle blue line. Laine probably no issue going to vgk.

AP waives because his family with young kids (incl triplets) is now quite a bit closer by flight (1.5 vs 3.5 hour flight) to wifes family in STL by going to Columbus? Upgrade top 4 RD.

Salaries close.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Could a Laine for pietrangelo basis make sense?

For VGK, not playing full season isn't a problem, it's a feature. Replace Marchessault? Rejuggle blue line. Laine probably no issue going to vgk.

AP waives because his family with young kids (incl triplets) is now quite a bit closer by flight (1.5 vs 3.5 hour flight) to wifes family in STL by going to Columbus? Upgrade top 4 RD.

Salaries close.
Here's the thing this is something I personally wouldn't mind at all because it would allow Jiricek to cook for 2 more years before hopefully graduating to our RHD1 but the problem is we are already logjammed on the right side. Honestly I fully expect Boqvist is gone this summer and Gudbranson, spite what everyone complains about him, is extremely respected in the locker room. Severson though would be taking line 2 duties from a growing Jiricek.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ignore that guy. Personally I was thinking for a while now that the flames could consider acquiring Laine to play with huberdeau, but only if the acquiring cost makes sense.

Shelter both guys on the second line, lower the pressure and try to rehab both. On paper they might have chemistry. Ask Laine to pass more to huberdeau and huberdeau to shoot more from Laine passes on occasion, but mostly let both guys go back to their original style of game.

Flames are pretty good with being patient with guiding players through the players assistance program.

Was hoping for a scenario like a Mangiapane or Kuzmenko basis with a minor add, but that's probably a pipe dream. Prefer not Rango as it might pressure Laine to play to line minutes. CBJ might prefer a C in Backlund and Kadri, but not sure either guy would be interested in uprooting their young families. Concept might only work if part of the value is calgary sending less cap back to CBJ.

He's certainly on my wish list, but not sure CBJ would be interested in entertaining chats with the flames.
Laine played better with power forwards, grinders or players like Chinakhov and Marchenko, so and not playmakers. On the other side he was a real leader, made teammates better. The problem were only injuries (unlucky) and now NHLPA program. It is understandable he wants a fresh start in another team. No pretension.

Reactions: Figgy44

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Depending on the cost, I can see Utah, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Seattle all enquiring.

New Jersey might be the least likely but adding a player like him (as well as a goalie) would strengthen their top 6.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Woah man I guess he can never do anything wrong now you’re right

Lmfao
Yes because that’s exactly what I said

I’ve gone after his game and development for years but I respect mental health and understand what people are going through who battle with it

I’d suggest you to take some time to learn about mental health

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not sure why any team would want to take this on.

Because he has only 2 years left so some team could see him as interesting bet

If it works they’d get a ppg player, if not only 1+ years left

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because he has only 2 years left so some team could see him as interesting bet

If it works they’d get a ppg player, if not only 1+ years left
He's been a ppg player 1 time in his career and that was in 56 games. You could just as easily say he is a .61 ppg player since he did that in 1 year too (in 82 games).

If I had to bet which one he's going to be closer to this year, I'd say it's the latter. That is still a useful player and he's worth "something", but with the salary and potential other issues, I can't see any team valuing him as an 82 pt player, something he's never done in his career.

Reactions: JKG33

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's been a ppg player 1 time in his career and that was in 56 games. You could just as easily say he is a .61 ppg player since he did that in 1 year too (in 82 games).

If I had to bet which one he's going to be closer to this year, I'd say it's the latter. That is still a useful player and he's worth "something", but with the salary and potential other issues, I can't see any team valuing him as an 82 pt player, something he's never done in his career.

I said if it works you get a ppg player

He scored 56 points in 56 games with zero stars on Columbus roster

Then he scored 52 points in 55 games

So is it really a reach to say if it works out you get a ppg player?

I doubt he has high value, there’s lot of flaws in his game right now to be a game changer but still with his shot, size and term he should/could be an interesting buy& based on his time in Columbus when he plays he can play at ppg pace without too much talent around him

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

And did look at his partners, especially in defense? No one top player has such bad conditions. Of course if you don't think that Roslovic and Jenner are top centers (really third line) and Peeke, Gudbranson, Berni, Gavrikov, Blankenburg, Bayreuther and Bjork excellent offensive d-men with great the first pass, shoot, hockey IQ. Btw, Werenski and Bean were injured in the last season, only Boqvist played more than 100 minutes from offensive d-men.
I am rather surprised he had such good stats with them.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Utah for 2 of their 10 2nd round picks the next 3 years. 1 this year and 1 next year.
I could see something like this, especially if the 2025 second had conditions (30 goals scored?) that could turn it into a first. That would ensure Laine is playing and producing to trigger the larger return.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I got a feeling i'll get highly criticized for that one but here we go:

CBJ
Anderson (5.5M x3)
Dvorak (4.5M x1)
Struble (ELC x1)
Avs 2nd (57OA)
Oilers 7th (224OA)

MTL
Laine (8.7M x 2)

My thinking was 2 steps.

First, "equalizing" the AAVs for both teams.
In this scenario, CBJ takes on an additional 1.3M in 2024-2025, then save 3.2M AAV in 2025-2026.
As a compensation, they receive 57OA + 224OA (looking at their board, they don't have selections in rounds 2 and 7 this year, might be of value to them being in a rebuild to have a few more magic beans in the air.) Dvorak is in a contract year so he'll help the young Cs on the dot and then could be flipped at the TDL for additional 2nd round pick(s) as well.

Overall, this aspect favors CBJ (cap/picks).

Second, giving value for Laine.
That one is hard to tell, as we don't know if they'll pick a F or a D at 4OA.
But, looking at their up & coming prospects on D, the "weaker" side of the two is LD. (Especially with Provorov potentially walking at the end of the year.) Struble adds a nosy 4LD potential to their NHL group of Ds immediately.

Obviously, a healthy & producing Laine is worth more than a 4LD, but there are a few warts at play here. Nevertheless, this aspect favors MTL (talent).

An ugly quantity for quantity trade, but that's one way I could see the cap/value work for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad