LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I got a feeling i'll get highly criticized for that one but here we go:

CBJ
Anderson (5.5M x3)
Dvorak (4.5M x1)
Struble (ELC x1)
Avs 2nd (57OA)
Oilers 7th (224OA)

MTL
Laine (8.7M x 2)

My thinking was 2 steps.

First, "equalizing" the AAVs for both teams.
In this scenario, CBJ takes on an additional 1.3M in 2024-2025, then save 3.2M AAV in 2025-2026.
As a compensation, they receive 57OA + 224OA (looking at their board, they don't have selections in rounds 2 and 7 this year, might be of value to them being in a rebuild to have a few more magic beans in the air.) Dvorak is in a contract year so he'll help the young Cs on the dot and then could be flipped at the TDL for additional 2nd round pick(s) as well.

Overall, this aspect favors CBJ (cap/picks).

Second, giving value for Laine.
That one is hard to tell, as we don't know if they'll pick a F or a D at 4OA.
But, looking at their up & coming prospects on D, the "weaker" side of the two is LD. (Especially with Provorov potentially walking at the end of the year.) Struble adds a nosy 4LD potential to their NHL group of Ds immediately.

Obviously, a healthy & producing Laine is worth more than a 4LD, but there are a few warts at play here. Nevertheless, this aspect favors MTL (talent).

An ugly quantity for quantity trade, but that's one way I could see the cap/value work for both sides.
Remove Dvorak. He will play 3rd libe centre for us and be trade bait at TDL.

Remove the 7th and 2nd and make it the Winnipeg pick.

Anderson + Struble + Winnipeg 1st.

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
If Columbus can convince him to stay until the trade deadline his value could go up sooo much

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I got a feeling i'll get highly criticized for that one but here we go:

CBJ
Anderson (5.5M x3)
Dvorak (4.5M x1)
Struble (ELC x1)
Avs 2nd (57OA)
Oilers 7th (224OA)

MTL
Laine (8.7M x 2)

My thinking was 2 steps.

First, "equalizing" the AAVs for both teams.
In this scenario, CBJ takes on an additional 1.3M in 2024-2025, then save 3.2M AAV in 2025-2026.
As a compensation, they receive 57OA + 224OA (looking at their board, they don't have selections in rounds 2 and 7 this year, might be of value to them being in a rebuild to have a few more magic beans in the air.) Dvorak is in a contract year so he'll help the young Cs on the dot and then could be flipped at the TDL for additional 2nd round pick(s) as well.

Overall, this aspect favors CBJ (cap/picks).

Second, giving value for Laine.
That one is hard to tell, as we don't know if they'll pick a F or a D at 4OA.
But, looking at their up & coming prospects on D, the "weaker" side of the two is LD. (Especially with Provorov potentially walking at the end of the year.) Struble adds a nosy 4LD potential to their NHL group of Ds immediately.

Obviously, a healthy & producing Laine is worth more than a 4LD, but there are a few warts at play here. Nevertheless, this aspect favors MTL (talent).

An ugly quantity for quantity trade, but that's one way I could see the cap/value work for both sides.

You know when folks start including 7th round picks that it's just a really bad offer.

Jayden Struble is probably so far down the LD prospect chart in Columbus that he'll never see the light of day again.

2nd and Dvorak might be ok to include. But then where is the 1st rounder for taking on Anderson? You might have to start over without him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why does Chicago take a salary dump and move down in the draft?

I don't get it.. Winnipeg is far from a big market but the media is very big market-like. He didn't like playing 2nd fiddle and wanted to lead a team. Now he's got the chance in one of the lowest pressure environments there is, and he can't even do that.

Buddy wants to be a huge fish in an ocean, but he can't even be a medium fish in a tiny pond
All the shitty aspects of a big market and none of the good ones.

Isn't Finnish closer to Mongolian? I recall reading something like that.
Hungarian. :laugh:

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You know when folks start including 7th round picks that it's just a really bad offer.

Jayden Struble is probably so far down the LD prospect chart in Columbus that he'll never see the light of day again.

2nd and Dvorak might be ok to include. But then where is the 1st rounder for taking on Anderson? You might have to start over without him.

If you have to push Struble down that far to devalue the trade idea, you know it's really a bad post. haha. ;). Just admit it, you don't know shit about him.

Anderson doesn't have to be included. If the Jackets want him, sure. If not, we look at Dvorak and the Jets 1st as the prime pieces. Then if you don't like Struble, we got other B+ types we can offer. There is a deal there but not sure the Habs are interested in taking a chance on Laine.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Remove Dvorak. He will play 3rd libe centre for us and be trade bait at TDL.

Remove the 7th and 2nd and make it the Winnipeg pick.

Anderson + Struble + Winnipeg 1st.
Dvorak's inclusion is two-fold. First was to somewhat "equate" the AAVs on both sides post trade.
Second, the added value is part of why CBJ does the trade. The late 1st, or 2nd they could gather trading him at the TDL is the value at play (on top of him mentoring the young Cs on the dot.)
Dvorak ain't the greatest out there, but he's a reliable 3C that should garnish interest at the TDL, especially in a contract year.

The 7th was just because they don't have any right now haha. Not at all meant from a value perspective, I would've stuck to the 2nd (which they also don't have) for the 1.3M of cap space CBJ would be taking on this year (but then saves 3.2M next year).

You can devalue Struble all you want, but he's shown at 21 years old that he can handle 2nd pair LD minutes. CBJ can't build its entire Dcorp with point-producing Dmen, they will need 1-2 shutdown guys to lock in down in the playoffs. Struble's got the skillset and has shown it already at a young age / isn't just a magical bean that's up & coming in the minors.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He tried his best here and the team tried to make it work. Just didn’t work. It happens.

Wish him the best
What do you think the reasons are that he didn't work out there? It seems like he was oft injured among other things from the outside looking in.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What do you think the reasons are that he didn't work out there? It seems like he was oft injured among other things from the outside looking in.

Lots of things in his personal life, injuries and Columbus has been a rebuilding team during his time there.

Laine isn’t good enough to be the guy for a team. Where Columbus was during this time it was just tough to find a fit for him in the lineup to get the max out of Laine. As seen they even tried him at C with how weak/unfinished they were in the middle. Still was able to hoover around ppg

2nd line for Laine with a quality C

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

I just refuse to give up on Laine even though I should.

You can see in my post history I've been saying this for years. I just think this guy has too good of a shot. I still see him somehow, someway putting up five straight 45 goal seasons.

A team should buy low and take a flyer on him. Put him with Matty Barzal.
I have honestly no doubt Laine would score 45 goals with Aho or Barkov, you can laugh as much you want but thats how I see it

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Lots of things in his personal life, injuries and Columbus has been a rebuilding team during his time there.

Laine isn’t good enough to be the guy for a team. Where Columbus was during this time it was just tough to find a fit for him in the lineup to get the max out of Laine. As seen they even tried him at C with how weak/unfinished they were in the middle. Still was able to hoover around ppg

2nd line for Laine with a quality C
No players but injuries were problems, he played great with Jenner, Roslovic, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Johnson in the last season. Remember the Nyquist - Jenner - Laine line against the best opponents lines in 2021/22 season.

Honestly, I hope nobody will want him and he stay here. We get nothing for him anyway, his value is too little.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Basically that. He was often injured and the team around him was transitioning from a Torts team (which he didn’t vibe with) to a directionless team. He was surrounded by a bunch of young kids who didn’t know how to play in the NHL, and the defense was very poor especially at transporting the puck up.

He had moments that were really good. I believe Christmas of Brad Larsen’s first year and onward (until he got hurt) he was one of the hottest players in the league. Thought he had it figured out then, but nope.

He and Gaudreau never meshed because they both want to play the same wing and both want the puck. Both are also very poor defensively.

Just wasn’t a good mix at the right time. If Laine had been here 2-3 years prior with the Panarin teams, I think he would have been great.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

If I’m Montreal and I’m taking 2 yrs of Laine without retention and giving back assets I’m expecting a bad contract going the other way that doesn’t end at the end of the season.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
one reason Laine was hurt all the time in Columbus he tried to do everything possible by himself, in the end playing even centre. Give him a break and team who actually has pieces and he will be just fine

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Injury was definitely a major part. Aside from his repeated injuries, I would argue that he actually was working out at least production wise.

The major reason for his wanting a "fresh start" though seems to be coming from his mental health struggles. I think if you put him on any team and throw his father passing away + concussions + a broken collarbone + his own exceedingly high expectations of himself... then he would request a trade so he can get a fresh start from anywhere.

He could have walked if he wanted 2 years ago. But he re-signed and was pretty positive about it.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Who touches that contract unless its 50%

If he's not reborn as a person he'll be out of NHL in couple years max

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad