Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It also gives the jackets at a look the lineup without Laine. If they start to string together some wins without him in the lineup I wouldn't be surprised them to check on his value leading up the TDL. Don't think anything happens though with the current cap situation around the league. I wouldn't be surprised over the next two seasons when it rises though.
If Laine is okay, he'll be better than any of the forwards. It makes no sense to trade him for players we don't need.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Let's just say some of us break much easier than others. Bone density varies widely between people. Nick Foligno isn't getting injured on that play. I've seen him go much harder in to the boards than that.

Yeah people crash into the boards all the time harder than that without breaking anything, but it's still impossible to say, could be just really bad luck, which would mean he's practically cursed. I mean AFAIK it's the first time he's fractured anything :D The only recurring thing I'm aware of were the oblique strains but that was some years ago by now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
That was a dangerous play but it was not at full speed, just an awkward fall that usually does not result in injury. Most of us have taken worse hits.
This was more than it just being an awkward fall. I’m not adept at posting from X (twitter) so I just posted a link in a prior post. The Leaf literally kicked Laine’s leg out from him in a manner for more aggressive than a normal slow foot, a dirty enough play in itself. Ive reposted that link below.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
This gives Laine 6 weeks more weeks to recover from the concussion and give him a perfect reset opportunity.

He looked like not needing any more recovery time. He was buzzing this game and the line looked like a functioning unit. So it's really unfortunate setback.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If Laine is okay, he'll be better than any of the forwards. It makes no sense to trade him for players we don't need.
It's impossible to say that it makes no sense to trade him for players we don't need when we don't know what the trade would be. This team has holes, he could be used to help fix said holes if team can show they can win without him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He looked like not needing any more recovery time. He was buzzing this game and the line looked like a functioning unit. So it's really unfortunate setback.

I’m not looking at 1 period over weeks of garbage play

Those types of concussions can take a long time to recover and that man needs a reset as bad as anyone in this league.

This gives them an opportunity to take him away from the roster and spotlight and give him time to breathe

It also gives the jackets at a look the lineup without Laine. If they start to string together some wins without him in the lineup I wouldn't be surprised them to check on his value leading up the TDL. Don't think anything happens though with the current cap situation around the league. I wouldn't be surprised over the next two seasons when it rises though.

There’s about no way he gets traded this season.

Just too risky of an investment for any top tier team with his injuries+ abysmal play, Columbus would have to eat lot of money for anyone to jump in

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I’m not looking at 1 period over weeks of garbage play

Last 2-3 games have been fine from him, just played very low minutes and almost no PP. He is more useful in an offensive role and that wasn't really happening so that could explain why people were still underwhelmed, even if he wasn't doing anything "bad". He was along for the ride. In the Leafs game he had creativity and work around him so it started to show in chances immediately and also translated to the scoreboard.

I know everybody likes to crap on him on games where he doesn't get points and act like he was the drag on the team but his turnovers have not been costing a lot of goals etc. He fumbled some pucks around boards on the RD position on PP, well he shouldn't be in that position to begin with.

He can be a rather invisible 3rd liner with no PP time, if you want to judge him by how he would fair when most opportunity is deprived then fine. For me, if he is put in position to succeed, gets the minutes and the proper PP usage, THEN I'll start blaming him (like I blame Johnny who has been playing 1st line and 1st PP all season with a 6% shooting) if he can't do anything to help the team in that setting. But that's not the case at least yet. Usually when you give him the role he fills it. Of course maybe not right after major injuries, but that's human.

I agree though, it can't hurt to recover from that concussion a while longer.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Let's just say some of us break much easier than others. Bone density varies widely between people. Nick Foligno isn't getting injured on that play. I've seen him go much harder in to the boards than that.
Weird comment. I wont argue injury prone and whatnot because its a useless exercise but while how hard obviously does matter, the angle is what I think actually did Laine in here. Put all the pressure on the clavicle, a bone literally designed to break

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
There’s about no way he gets traded this season.

Just too risky of an investment for any top tier team with his injuries+ abysmal play, Columbus would have to eat lot of money for anyone to jump in
Oh I agree, but over the next two seasons as the cap rises I think we'll start to see a flurry of activity as teams get a little bit of breathing room. Sure contracts will go up as well, but not overnight. Or at least not until someone signs for a stupid amount of money.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's impossible to say that it makes no sense to trade him for players we don't need when we don't know what the trade would be. This team has holes, he could be used to help fix said holes if team can show they can win without him.

The line/defensive pairings that, except for the third period, played well against Toronto:

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Danforth
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Sillinger - Laine
Texier - Kuraly - Bemstrom

The second a third had excellent chemistry.

Jenner, Roslovic, Olivier, Bemstrom remain.

in defense:

Werenski, Blankenburg
Provorov, Jiříček
Bean, Peeke

Severson, Gudbranson, Boqvist remain.

Theoretically, we can get Garland and make the Gaudreau - Fantilli - Garland line. The problem is that although the salary cap will increase by 7 million next season, the contracts of Marchenko, Chinakhov and Johnson (+ Sillinger, Roslovic, Texier, Bemstrom and Blankenburg) are ending. Who, if they continue as they are playing now, may want around 5 million each. What would be the difference of around 12 million. And not every team would agree to trade our player for picks/prospects. Also we need a reserve under salary cap.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Updated Laine injury history list with CBJ:

Broken Clavicle 5-6 weeks
Concussion 3-4 weeks
Tricep injury 2-4 weeks
Ankle injury 3-4 weeks
Elbow injury 3-4 weeks
Upper body 2 games
Lower body 2 games
Oblique 4-6 weeks
Upper body 2 weeks (this carried over from the Jets)

Current GP: a bit over 3.5ish seasons with the Jackets.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Updated Laine injury history list with CBJ:

Broken Clavicle 5-6 weeks
Concussion 3-4 weeks
Tricep injury 2-4 weeks
Ankle injury 3-4 weeks
Elbow injury 3-4 weeks
Upper body 2 games
Lower body 2 games
Oblique 4-6 weeks
Upper body 2 weeks (this carried over from the Jets)

Current GP: a bit over 3.5ish seasons with the Jackets.

Broken clavicle, concussion, ankle injury and elbow injury (see video) were injuries when every player could easily get injured. Especially concussion. Other injuries did not repeat more. In addition, two of them healed faster than expected (elbow and ankle, although maybe concussion too). Enough bad examples.

By the way, he arrived with a finger injury and was missing for only two weeks.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Again if one tries to find a positive from this.

This gives Laine 6 weeks more weeks to recover from the concussion and give him a perfect reset opportunity.

Everyone knows how bad it was going for Laine and now instead of benching or scratching him he gets a ”free” reset chance
This is point on! He ain't right in a few ways and I'm sure he just wants to be on the ice when all signs say its not a good idea. He's young and I'm sure he doesn't love his performance this season and wants to remedy it...too much so! "Reset" is the word too. Clear his head and get away from hockey for a few weeks.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm officially done with Laine. He has to want to rethink his playing style based on his best traits. Maybe then he can become the type of player he's being paid to be right now. That's not going to happen on the IR and not to happen here within the next 2 years.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I'm officially done with Laine. He has to want to rethink his playing style based on his best traits. Maybe then he can become the type of player he's being paid to be right now. That's not going to happen on the IR and not to happen here within the next 2 years.
A point per game player on the CBJ needs to rethink his game? Funnily I agree. I’ve posted before what I think he should be focusing (and being utilized on). He’s been a carrying force the last two seasons though, so I can’t understand the complaining about his contributions to this team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A point per game player on the CBJ needs to rethink his game? Funnily I agree. I’ve posted before what I think he should be focusing (and being utilized on). He’s been a carrying force the last two seasons though, so I can’t understand the complaining about his contributions to this team.

My gripe is specifically about when he is bad. When he is good he's good, I have no complaints. But a player shouldn't suck this much when he's off his game. It's really damaging for the team and we've seen it several times in Laine's career.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
My gripe is specifically about when he is bad. When he is good he's good, I have no complaints. But a player shouldn't suck this much when he's off his game. It's really damaging for the team and we've seen it several times in Laine's career.
Laine’s CBJ career has been more than good if we disregard his first season here.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine’s CBJ career has been more than good if we disregard his first season here.

And I don't think he's been a disaster even in the recovery games, just not a difference maker as one would expect. There have been worse players in each games, his fumbles rarely lead to negative results. A lot of empty net goals against make his +/- worse than those who don’t play those situations.

But when he's mediocre, people say he’s like some historical failure

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I have been a supporter of Laine but if/when he ever gets back to playing well, not sure he's needed. As previously stated his flaws when playing badly really outweigh the pros when he's playing well.

If they could trade him for a solid top 4 defenseman (who can actually defend), I think I'd be for it. The future is Marchenko, Fantilli, Johnson and Chinakhov

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have been a supporter of Laine but if/when he ever gets back to playing well, not sure he's needed. As previously stated his flaws when playing badly really outweigh the pros when he's playing well.

If they could trade him for a solid top 4 defenseman (who can actually defend), I think I'd be for it. The future is Marchenko, Fantilli, Johnson and Chinakhov

I agree, though I'm doubtful there will be a trade option until he plays much much better. The cap hit is too big. I could see a deal in the summer with heavy retention or taking bad cap back.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I agree, though I'm doubtful there will be a trade option until he plays much much better. The cap hit is too big. I could see a deal in the summer with heavy retention or taking bad cap back.
I think they'll wait until he plays much better. I don't see them retaining unless the piece coming back is something they really want.

Next year, if the young kids keep progressing, Laine won't be getting the minutes because there will be better options. They really are already better but he's going to get another chance I'd think. I'm sure he's going to bounce back motivated.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That's what I told my buddy last night while watching the game, he was wondering why we wouldn't just trade him and I had to explain his cap and the cap situation across the league. I think the off-season/first half of next season makes the most sense. There's no rush to trade him for cap purposes until we can get a positive asset back right now it would cost more than he's worth to move him.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
They really are already better

I dunno if you watched past two seasons but IMO Laine in form would still be the best forward in this team, apart maybe from Marchenko who really has been great lately (but is still belov 0.7P/GP for the season) but might also be due to fall back to earth a bit. Anyway if Marchenko especially keeps that up and Fantilli & Johnson progress, even if Laine returns to his best he might still become a bit reduntant and that's not even taking Chinny into account. But at least in that case he'd be a valuable trade asset even with his caphit.

Assuming Laine comes back strong as ever, I think it'll depend entirely on team success what they do with him. He's signed through 25-26. I'm not sure what's going with the cap and if that's gonna be a problem. If they're looking at playoffs next year and Laine is playing well, I don't think they'll be looking to get rid of him. If I had to guess, he'll either play through his contract or a TDL move happens on his last year (or even next season, depending how the team does).

If Laine is meh and his caphit becomes a problem, that's a different ball game but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Reactions: Marioesque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad