Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Would have expected better knowledge from these two. Pretty disappponting.

This comment from Friedman was also completely out of touch. Laine 110% understands why he was benched. He may have disagreed with the decision, because he believes sitting wont help getting back to form, but disagreements with coaches are normal.

I used to love how straight up Laine was about everything, but I'm starting to get sick of these headlines it creates by people who dont watch the team. Maybe it'd be best if Laine started to shut down the personality a bit when it comes to these types of interviews

I truly hope that Laine does not change from being and expressing himself in interviews. If anything, players around th league should do the same. Hockey interviews are in general a basic repetition of “we need to stick to our game”, “getting pucks deep” and “sticking to our system”’. Hockey player interviews are a laughing joke.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I truly hope that Laine does not change from being and expressing himself in interviews. If anything, players around th league should do the same. Hockey interviews are in general a basic repetition of “we need to stick to our game”, “getting pucks deep” and “sticking to our system”’. Hockey player interviews are a laughing joke.
I agree in general, but when there's a 9 game losing streak and you have some beef with your coach, it'd make everyone's life easier if you just took the classic Canadian hockey player interview. The drama gets dropped faster and everyone can move on, instead of starting this endless bs trade request speculation

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree in general, but when there's a 9 game losing streak and you have some beef with your coach, it'd make everyone's life easier if you just took the classic Canadian hockey player interview. The drama gets dropped faster and everyone can move on, instead of starting this endless bs trade request speculation
Not really, the only way drama ends is winning. If they start winning people will shut up, if not we get more of this

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Must be a cultural difference, honest and even blunt answers can be expected from Finns.

There's a difference between being embarrassed that you ended up in a situation, and blaming others for embarrassing you. I think there's the mixup in people interpreting this. I didn't feel Laine was claiming anyone embarrassed him, but that the situation that he's played so bad to get there would be embarrassing for him, and motivating at the same time.

I mean, he clearly didn't think he'd get better by sitting a game and wants to play through it.
I agree.

Reactions: 5minutemajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Seems to me that Friedman CBJ/Laine scenario is much more believable than some of you would like to believe.

Fascinating we take certain things from the respected sports journalists at face value, and then dismiss other things.

Hopefully Patty gets his play up to an acceptable level.

Also interesting that the only people who seemingly can’t accept the “blunt answers” are actually Laine and the fan club themselves.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Fantilli is the only man who can save Laine in Columbus.

I say that half jokingly but Adam has brought the best out of Patty so far this year, hope they stick together and build something.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fantilli is the only man who can save Laine in Columbus.

I say that half jokingly but Adam has brought the best out of Patty so far this year, hope they stick together and build something.
Hope Johnson can be the 3rd guy on that line someday. Could be magic if it clicks. Assuming Johnson doesnt stick at center that is

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Hope Johnson can be the 3rd guy on that line someday. Could be magic if it clicks. Assuming Johnson doesnt stick at center that is
Different convo but I really hope Johnson stays at Center. I think his vision is wasted at wing a bit, plus if he can do it, why not. This team really could use another center.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Found a link to an old The Athletic interview from before Larsen's first season, everything Larsen says in this excerpt is relevant to today and why I think Vincent benching Laine was the correct move.

He’s the first to admit that last year was a train wreck. It didn’t go well. He came in, he had a good start and then it just … the one thing with Patrik is, I don’t know if he’s ever gone through a stretch like that. This is just my opinion, but I think he tried to do too much. When you want to do well, sometimes you end up trying to do too much. In Winnipeg — and I’ve watched some of his past games to watch how he scored goals, how we played when he played his best — and it seemed like he just kind of let it happen. Last season he tried to be a passer, be a skater, tried to hold on to it, then be a shooter … it just spiraled all the wrong way for him. Patrik is not a lazy player. He gets this reputation, probably because he’s a big guy, but he can skate. It’s not like he’s not backchecking. But he’s his harshest critic, and you can see that sometimes in his body language where it just really wears on him. He does not hide it well. (Laughs.) Going through those stretches last season of not scoring and not being productive, it’s new for him. I’m not sure he handled it the best, but we’ve talked about how we can help that situation.

Sounds a lot like what we have seen this season, he has big expectations of himself and kind of tilts when he doesn't meet his own expectations.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

10 no trade teams ... :D I doubt Montreal is not there.
Salary, even if LTIR Montreal does not have it. CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Value is bad.

I doubt information is right.

Edit: I think no trade teams are:
Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa, Arizona, Buffalo, Philadelphia (Torts), Minnesota, Nashville, and the last? I don't know.

I don't discuss about source only about chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViD

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I just cant help but think every time Laine gets the puck that he's no longer a serious threat. Every shot he takes now misses the net. And that's if he even gets a shot off and doesn't fumble it before he gets into the zone...

Patrik Laine is the modern day Phil Kessel. He's not going to lead a team to a cup, but if used right he could be a piece that puts a team over the top. The problem is we're trying to lean on him as a building block cornerstone when at best he's a wooden log that might be sturdy for awhile but you'd regret building a concrete building on top of it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Patrik Laine is the modern day Phil Kessel. He's not going to lead a team to a cup, but if used right he could be a piece that puts a team over the top. The problem is we're trying to lean on him as a building block cornerstone when at best he's a wooden log that might be sturdy for awhile but you'd regret building a concrete building on top of it.

That was a big part of why I hated the acquisition. But we've got Fantilli coming along and Gaudreau is still, contrary to myth, a very good player. Going forward Laine doesn't have to carry anything here to be a big contributor.

He's not helpful right now but that is more of a post concussion thing. He was handling the puck better last game so maybe he's getting close.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He's getting shot chances but hesitating a bit right now and it's been leading to some blocked shots where he thought he had more time than he did and tried to settle the puck. I'm sure he'll be getting better going forward and the shot will start going in again.

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I just cant help but think every time Laine gets the puck that he's no longer a serious threat. Every shot he takes now misses the net. And that's if he even gets a shot off and doesn't fumble it before he gets into the zone...

You probably didn't see the 2021/22 season. He led the team. That's right, not Boone, but him, see the line play of Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine.
Now he must return his eye-hand coordination back. One is a professional athlete, not someone who goes to play on the ice in the rink behind his house.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
You probably didn't see the 2021/22 season. He led the team. That's right, not Boone, but him, see the line play of Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine.
Now he must return his eye-hand coordination back. One is a professional athlete, not someone who goes to play on the ice in the rink behind his house.
What happened in 2021 is as relevant as the 40 goals he scored in his rookie season. Time passes and players progress/regress. He's not the player you fear every time the puck touches his stick that he once was. And this isn't me saying he can't be that player again. But currently in the 23/24 season he's been fighting it, whatever it is...

And cue the lazy hooking penalty on the backcheck

Reactions: nippanappa

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
At least he’s honest because I thought he actually had a very good first period. Then he stepped back, yet scored, and after that he started fumbling the puck around. Hes got to get out of this funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad