Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
And at least he's getting his sleep and rest (re: "sleeping in the plane" social media posts by the new girlfriend). :D

I do worry about his fashion style choices in 2023-2024 though.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Camp starts in September. Ovechkin doesn't start training until July, Kovalchuk started in August but trained very hard. Provorov said after he arrived that he had 5 more days of vacation. All of these players have excellent finishing and are staying healthy. Conversely Kucherov starts too early, look at how he used to get injured a lot.

Let's not forget he was injured. He wasn't allowed to play until mid-May. So he needed a longer rest, the injury won't heal the next day. Not that training too hard wasn't the cause of his injuries. He trained with Barkov and he used to get injured a lot too.

The other possibility is that it could have been a break in the training process. These are divided into phases.

I looked up his girlfriend's profile. She's into fitness, healthy eating and modeling.

About the smoking, it's supposed to be chewing tobacco, and he had that one in the photo from his last vacation, at least that's what the Finnish journalists claim.

Best to wait until September, there we'll find out how ready he is.

P.S. I specifically tried looking for Twitter to type the name Patrik Laine. Now I can write a dissertation about their relationship, unfortunately, that can't be said about the hockey side. :D

But it was fun to read the comments (thanks to you auto-translator), so much hate and slander of his new girlfriend...

wdkennedy27

Apr 10, 2023
Can’t wait until they trade this guy.
I do not understand why he gets so much hate. He is a motivated player who is pushing himself to become better every single day, and he has an insane work ethic. I know that there is the whole narrative of him being self-centered, but other than his clothing is there really anything that supports this? In his interviews I have seen a young and self critical player who is constantly driven to become better. Why would you not want him on your team?

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I do not understand why he gets so much hate. He is a motivated player who is pushing himself to become better every single day, and he has an insane work ethic. I know that there is the whole narrative of him being self-centered, but other than his clothing is there really anything that supports this? In his interviews I have seen a young and self critical player who is constantly driven to become better. Why would you not want him on your team?

I think most of it is from Laine getting branded as lazy during his first couple seasons in Winnipeg with all the Fortnight stuff. Once a player gets that reputation amongst the fans it's almost impossible to get rid of. Just look at Kessel. Someone writes an article about his alleged love affair with hot dogs and next you know he's been labeled a lazy out of shape bum who somehow managed to become the NHL's consecutive games played record holder.

As for why people wouldn't want Laine on their team there area a couple legitimate reasons I can think of then a bunch of BS ones. The big one would be if your top2 centers are natural goal scorers it gets really hard to slot Laine into the top6. Two goal scorers on the same line usually doesn't work. A Laine/Matthews/Pastrnak line for example would get labeled by fans as one of the best of all time but would likely crash and burn on the ice. The other somewhat legitimate reason is his recent injury history. $8.7m is a really big cap hit for a guy that misses 1/3 of the season. Until Laine actually plays 80+ games during the season in a CBJ sweater he's going to be thought of as injury prone.

Reactions: Ippenator

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Because all the “pro-Laine” talk is all just that.

Talk. Fluff.

All this “motivation” and “insane work ethic” talk is BS.

Most people completely downplay just how bad the team has been for the past 3 years, LAINE’S ENTIRE TIME with the team.

Many love to conveniently dismiss the entire 20-21 season at this point, whether in relation to the team or Laine, simply because of “Torts” and it is BS.

Then all this “weight” was or has been given to the 21-22 season as Laine put up a “point per game”, and the team was looked at as “making progress”, when in reality the team was still absolutely TERRIBLE, and if you look at the roster from that year, the VAST MAJORITY will not be anywhere near the team in another 1-2 years.

Then last year. But, none of it is Laine’s fault, because he’s a great shooter and good offensively. The roster/forward composition still needs an OVERHAUL. We still need a center and Laine IS NOT a center. He is also NOT the type of guy we need LEADING our younger players moving forward, and our roster is nowhere near the type that would allow Laine to actually “flourish” himself where he could hit that 60-70 goal number that some seemingly still seem confident about.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because all the “pro-Laine” talk is all just that.

Talk. Fluff.

All this “motivation” and “insane work ethic” talk is BS.

Most people completely downplay just how bad the team has been for the past 3 years, LAINE’S ENTIRE TIME with the team.

Many love to conveniently dismiss the entire 20-21 season at this point, whether in relation to the team or Laine, simply because of “Torts” and it is BS.

Then all this “weight” was or has been given to the 21-22 season as Laine put up a “point per game”, and the team was looked at as “making progress”, when in reality the team was still absolutely TERRIBLE, and if you look at the roster from that year, the VAST MAJORITY will not be anywhere near the team in another 1-2 years.

Then last year. But, none of it is Laine’s fault, because he’s a great shooter and good offensively. The roster/forward composition still needs an OVERHAUL. We still need a center and Laine IS NOT a center. He is also NOT the type of guy we need LEADING our younger players moving forward, and our roster is nowhere near the type that would allow Laine to actually “flourish” himself where he could hit that 60-70 goal number that some seemingly still seem confident about.
So, just so I understand this correctly. You're going to comment on the play of team that was 9 wins short of the PO the season before last, even though they had an inexperienced coach and a lot of injuries. Btw those 9 wins aren't that many. The following season we effectively played with an AHL roster, the coach stayed the same.

Now Provorov and Severson have come in and Babcock will be the coach. That's a pretty big difference, don't you think? Also young players are more experienced.

Regarding the COVID season, that season was just horrible, and it was greatly affected by the restrictions the NHL enacted. To blame Torts for the failure is ridiculous. You don't even have to notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbjthrowaway

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
It's very annoying that the constant debate about this player is about his effort. Usually, that's not a good sign. You don't ever question a guy like Jenner giving effort. Hell even didn't question Panarin when he was here even in the midst of not wanting to sign. He always gave it.

Laine's effort question is a reasonable question, and a reputation he has earned. The bottom line is this. He is extremely talented with the puck on his stick. Whether thats making passes or shooting, he can do it all. But the legs and feet don't match the high end skill enough. I don't doubt that he cares, I think he does. I don't doubt that he's in good enough shape, because I think he is (although I do think he can improve a lot here). But does he care enough to go the extra mile, or to block that shot, or to retrieve that puck in the corner? No, I don't think he does. I think the game naturally came easy to him as he grew up and he heard "well, Patrik doesn't NEED to get that puck in the corner. Let someone else do it." and thats been engraved in his head ever since. He got by on his natural ability and size.

If you put Panarin's compete level in Laine, he'd probably score 50 goals every single year. But Laine is a perimeter player, who doesn't want to get his nose dirty, and quite frankly is now injury prone.

I hope Babcock brings out another level in him that we haven't seen before. I hope he helps him use his body and helps him realize that playing without the puck is just as important as playing with it. If he fought his ass off for loose pucks, the turnovers trying to skate by 4 guys aren't as annoying as they are currently.

I am skeptical of this working out with Babcock. Just as I was skeptical of him working on a line with Gaudreau.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's very annoying that the constant debate about this player is about his effort. Usually, that's not a good sign. You don't ever question a guy like Jenner giving effort. Hell even didn't question Panarin when he was here even in the midst of not wanting to sign. He always gave it.

Laine's effort question is a reasonable question, and a reputation he has earned. The bottom line is this. He is extremely talented with the puck on his stick. Whether thats making passes or shooting, he can do it all. But the legs and feet don't match the high end skill enough. I don't doubt that he cares, I think he does. I don't doubt that he's in good enough shape, because I think he is (although I do think he can improve a lot here). But does he care enough to go the extra mile, or to block that shot, or to retrieve that puck in the corner? No, I don't think he does. I think the game naturally came easy to him as he grew up and he heard "well, Patrik doesn't NEED to get that puck in the corner. Let someone else do it." and thats been engraved in his head ever since. He got by on his natural ability and size.

If you put Panarin's compete level in Laine, he'd probably score 50 goals every single year. But Laine is a perimeter player, who doesn't want to get his nose dirty, and quite frankly is now injury prone.

I hope Babcock brings out another level in him that we haven't seen before. I hope he helps him use his body and helps him realize that playing without the puck is just as important as playing with it. If he fought his ass off for loose pucks, the turnovers trying to skate by 4 guys aren't as annoying as they are currently.

I am skeptical of this working out with Babcock. Just as I was skeptical of him working on a line with Gaudreau.
Whats funny is Panarins compete level plummeted after he got his mega deal with the team he wanted. Atleast Laine is still playing for another big contract. His compete has improved and the shot blocking thing is kind of weird, you generally dont have stars blocking a ton of shots in meaningless games.
Im excited to see him with Babcock personally

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Whats funny is Panarins compete level plummeted after he got his mega deal with the team he wanted. Atleast Laine is still playing for another big contract. His compete has improved and the shot blocking thing is kind of weird, you generally dont have stars blocking a ton of shots in meaningless games.
Im excited to see him with Babcock personally
Just an example. I more want him competing for pucks in the corners and going after loose pucks. He's too big to be as soft as he is.

I can't speak for Panarin's effort in NYR but I can for how he played here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just an example. I more want him competing for pucks in the corners and going after loose pucks. He's too big to be as soft as he is.

Personally I'm not sure Laine has a big compete issue anymore. I think he might be doing the best he can with a less athletic 6'5 frame that's hard to use around the boards.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Im curious to see him in the playoffs, we wont know his whole story until we see him there. Hes tall but hes not a monster like Ovi and obviously never will be. Hes going to be a guy that gets by with skill and ideally you pair him with guys to do the dirty work. Maurice tried to turn him into a power forward because he saw a tall player but there is much more to it. People see tall and associate that with big which is problem number 1 and then associate big with mean which is problem 2.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

He'd need to use a stiffer and shorter stick to be able to win board battles more. This would affect his shot.

It's a trade off and I prefer the shooting over board play. When you have the best shooter, you have him looking for openings to shoot and other people dig the pucks from corners, predominantly. It's just proper asset management. Best use of Laine's talent isn't having him work the corners, because he can't be expected to shoot and score from there, although he has done that too

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
He'd need to use a stiffer and shorter stick to be able to win board battles more. This would affect his shot.

It's a trade off and I prefer the shooting over board play. When you have the best shooter, you have him looking for openings to shoot and other people dig the pucks from corners, predominantly. It's just proper asset management. Best use of Laine's talent isn't having him work the corners, because he can't be expected to shoot and score from there, although he has done that too
Maybe I’d buy this if Laine actually shot the puck when he got in positions to do so.

Nobody is exempt at winning board battles. Long stick, short stick, or average. It’s not about the size it’s now you use it

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine has shown he can be more than just a sniper. He can carry the puck, hold it, use his body around the boards. The key is to move his feet.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine has shown he can be more than just a sniper. He can carry the puck, hold it, use his body around the boards. The key is to move his feet.

Yeah I agree, that's why he'll be a good center.

My point was that he shouldn't primarily be on the boards because he's more useful where you can shoot.

Maybe I’d buy this if Laine actually shot the puck when he got in positions to do so.

Nobody is exempt at winning board battles. Long stick, short stick, or average. It’s not about the size it’s now you use it

He should shoot more. And he shouldn't be exempt of board battles, but he's more useful elsewhere so that's where he should primarily be.

RickTheDick61

Oct 4, 2016
I think its insane people want to trade the most marketable player on the team. He has a personality, most of his wristers that end up in the net look like highlight reel goals, and he was a point per game guy last year, averaging the same as Gaudreau.

Not sure what he has to do, everyone was saying that Gaudreau will drop to point per game pace in CBJ, but he is already an established superstar in the league. Now on the other hand Laine has done that two years in a row. First of these two, he was playing with Voracek, who had 6 goals and a 4% shooting percentage.

So what is the requirement for him to be as "useful" as Gaudreau? I'd like to see one healthy season from Laine before calling him lazy and bad.

1687758200266.png

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Patrik Laine's experiment at center for the Columbus Blue Jackets may have come to a premature end last season, but he's willing to give it another shot, or do whatever else new coach Mike Babcock has planned for him.
"We've talked about it a little bit," Laine said on Tuesday. "I've been working on quite a bit of stuff, but you never know. I mean, there's always a possibility. It's totally up to what they want, but I'd be open to it.
"We had a good talk. [Babcock is] hard but honest, so I respect that. But everything we talked about there is private and I'm not going to tell you this."

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Rarely visit this place anymore but it's good to see that people still spew the exact same garbage about Patty after 7 years.

Never change, people.

Hope the guy doesn't break into a thousand pieces again next season, he's fun to watcha and a good player :)

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad