Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
The D has not been good enough to break out of our own end so they have not been able to feed Patrik in stride, when he's already in full speed. The new D should help in this regard a lot, they went and got two new D who are good at getting out of the zone and Severson is especially good with outlet passing. All of the examples we have used here have been Laine basically skating it himself from end to end, but once the defense is good enough to strip the opponent off pucks and deliver it to forwards who are already moving towards offensive zone, that should unlock more of Laine. He's absolutely deadly on rushes, but rushes require someone to start them from the D end and if it doesn't have to be Laine skating it out himself, we'll see him get way more rush chances.
This is a great point. As a side effect it hopefully also leads to less turnovers by Laine in the neutral zone. That's a two birds with one stone kind of a situation right there.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
This is a great point. As a side effect it hopefully also leads to less turnovers by Laine in the neutral zone. That's a two birds with one stone kind of a situation right there.

Attachments

• ricky-trailer-park-boys.gif
    ricky-trailer-park-boys.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I love when a TPB reference is used on here :laugh: I use many in the real world but a lot of them go over peoples heads

lol yeah the problem with using Rickyisms especially in real life conversations is that people will think you're not all there, but it's worth it.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Adding this because it's just a perfect example of what we've been talking about and Laine in a nutshell. The game before he became a blue jacket. There's everything signature Laine here. Scores 2 and assists on 1, wins it in OT. Gets injured in first game of season. Classic Laine.

And the OT goal has a fantastic visual of the acceleration and speed of lanky and short players. Look at Johnny, how hard he's working trying to catch up to Laine (who is looking like he's coasting) but he couldn't get anywhere near. Johnny LOOKS to be putting more effort in this clip

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
“They made some good moves and we got some good players (this offseason), so definitely a stronger team than last year,” Laine said. “Hopefully, everybody stays healthy now.”

Babcock was hired on July 1. His first two weeks on the job were spent talking with his new players, but also holding “coaches meetings” with his new Blue Jackets coaching staff as well as the members of the AHL Cleveland coaching staff.

When possible, Babcock has tried to meet with players face-to-face. Laine’s decision to spend much of his summer in Columbus — he returned from Finland earlier this month — allowed Babcock and Laine to gather about a week ago.

“There’s nothing like meeting with a guy in person, and I want to do all of that before camp starts,” Babcock said. “I want to get a feel for them as a person, and they get a feel for you. I want to know what they need from me so that they can be the best they can be.

“That’s what it’s been, it’s been, ‘How can I help you out, and where can we get you to?’ It’s been enjoyable. Patrik was a great one.”

Neither Laine nor Babcock would say what position Laine will be playing in two months when the Blue Jackets open training camp. This, it would seem, is privileged information.

Laine, smiling: “I don’t really know, and if I did know, I probably wouldn’t tell you.”

Babcock: “I could (tell you), but it’ll just get a whole thing going, so I’m not going to handle it that way.”

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don’t think Laine is slow when he gets his feet moving. The problem is the getting his feet moving part
This is the thing, right here. It's why he has the label from so many as lazy. He simply doesn't move his feet consistently and often enough. Now I happen to like him as a player and think he would be all world if the consistency with his feet were there. I think that's why his defensive game has been labeled as terrible in the past. However, if you watch, he does back check and he does engage, it's just not consistent.

You could almost draw tha parrelle with Roslovic but just different attributes. I think Laine has a better feel and IQ for the game but his inconsistency to move his feet puts him in bad spots that results in poor plays. I think this has improved in Columbus but needs to be better to be a better than PPG player... and he has that ability. Roslovic has the skating ability and does move his feet, he simply doesn't appear to have the IQ to know where to go, when to go and how to use his teammates consistently. He too could be a much, much better player, however, I think he has a longer way to go since the IQ, to me, is the most important aspect for a hockey player. It can cover other deficiencies.

Reactions: domi28 and thebus88

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I read the article and I realize they are being coy about it but I believe Laine is far more valuable to us on the wing than in the middle. We don't have anyone else who can do what Laine does from the wing.

I could see Babcock wanting to use Laine to the max, and I'd say after watching his career so far, he is the most productive when he's a rushing wing who doesn't have to be the one skating the puck out of the zone. This team should now be able to support that, there are other people capable of handling the puck in the defensive zone and starting the rushes with stretch passes. So if Babs wants, he can use Laine as that precision weapon he can be, instead of "trying to make him into a more complete player", which is what all previous coaches have wanted to do.

He's 25 now, he's actually reliable defensively so there's not that much need to make a Barkov out of him, when he could just be a rush target that blasts bombs and scores 65. It would kinda make sense for Babcock to extract the production. And the way he's talking about it, suggests it to me.

I like Laine as center idea, because it's more fluid motion than wingers (stop/start) but at the same time I can see the allure of just feeding that cannon and see what happens. From a coaches perspective it would be intriguing too, and now would be a fine time to let the guy loose.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I could see Babcock wanting to use Laine to the max, and I'd say after watching his career so far, he is the most productive when he's a rushing wing who doesn't have to be the one skating the puck out of the zone. This team should now be able to support that, there are other people capable of handling the puck in the defensive zone and starting the rushes with stretch passes. So if Babs wants, he can use Laine as that precision weapon he can be, instead of "trying to make him into a more complete player", which is what all previous coaches have wanted to do.

He's 25 now, he's actually reliable defensively so there's not that much need to make a Barkov out of him, when he could just be a rush target that blasts bombs and scores 65. It would kinda make sense for Babcock to extract the production. And the way he's talking about it, suggests it to me.

I like Laine as center idea, because it's more fluid motion than wingers (stop/start) but at the same time I can see the allure of just feeding that cannon and see what happens. From a coaches perspective it would be intriguing too, and now would be a fine time to let the guy loose.
I think they are going to try and see how he does at center, mainly for one reason. Versatility. Injuries happen and it's extremely valuable to be able to have multiple guys in the lineup who can play wing and center, not only for injuries but different matchups against other teams (more specifically in the playoffs)

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Well there's at least one thing me and Mike agree on, and it's wanting to see the fun back in Laine's game. Which kinda makes me think he might want to unleash the goalscorer Laine. But for that I think you kinda need the other guys in the line do the heavy lifting. Playing him at C is not without it's charms though, for one thing it would force him to stay engaged and 'inside' the game and that might be good for him. I think he could be a good center, but just how good? If it would include being good at faceoffs, it would probably mean changes to his stick and that would probably hurt his shot.

We know he has the potential to be among the best goal scorers in the league, but where would he cap out as center? Which is more valuable, a top5 goal scorer or a topXX center? With the center depth the Jackets have, he might be more valuable as a C even now, but that would depend on how well Johnson & Fantilli can do and whether Jarmo still has some move up his sleeve.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Well there's at least one thing me and Mike agree on, and it's wanting to see the fun back in Laine's game. Which kinda makes me think he might want to unleash the goalscorer Laine.

We know he has the potential to be among the best goal scorers in the league, but where would he cap out as center? Which is more valuable, a top5 goal scorer or a topXX center? With the center depth the Jackets have, he might be more valuable as a C even now, but that would depend on how well Johnson & Fantilli can do and whether Jarmo still has some move up his sleeve.

Until we landed Fantilli, I was totally on making Laine a center, and I hope it happens. Now it might not be needed though, there's added C depth, although Patty has a lot of C qualities.

I feel everyone is either coy or unnecessarily cautious when talking about Laine’s shot. It's 100% the best shot combination in the world, and it was already so when he got drafted. It's still so today.

It's not "one of the best ", it's undisputed #1 until you show me the first 100 NHL goals of someone who scores from distance even better. Until then, undisputed (anyone wanting to question it, provide your evidence or stfu). There's no 100 goal highlight reel in this world that rivals the shooting prowess on display. There will be a future player who bests him at shooting, but at this moment in time he's the best shot in the games history. I've watched the game long enough, I've seen every comparable of the last 40 years.

Babcock would have plenty of reasons to put that special ability to it's best use. It will make him look good.

Just stay healthy

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well there's at least one thing me and Mike agree on, and it's wanting to see the fun back in Laine's game. Which kinda makes me think he might want to unleash the goalscorer Laine. But for that I think you kinda need the other guys in the line do the heavy lifting. Playing him at C is not without it's charms though, for one thing it would force him to stay engaged and 'inside' the game and that might be good for him. I think he could be a good center, but just how good? If it would include being good at faceoffs, it would probably mean changes to his stick and that would probably hurt his shot.

Assuming no changes to the stick (I don't know the details for sticks at faceoffs), getting him away from board battles (that he isn't good at) might make him a better goal scorer too.

It's 100% the best shot combination in the world, and it was already so when he got drafted. It's still so today.

That last part is mighty debatable. The goal numbers and the shooting percentages are nowhere near what they used to be.

Reactions: LJ7

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That last part is mighty debatable. The goal numbers and the shooting percentages are nowhere near what they used to be.
I’ve been watching hockey for 30 something years and been focused on the great shooters, because those players have always gotten me excited and glued to the screen. Who has the greatest shot will always be debatable, but no other player has wowed me with his shots and goals as much as he has.

I’m on the same page with Babs that Patrik need’s to find the joy back in his game, and I want to see the cocky player who stick twirled and didn’t hold himself back celebrating when he scored. I mean, ok kid - you’ve worked hard to develop the other parts of the game and please keep doing so, but your first option should be to go for the kill with your shots, with no hesistation.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve been watching hockey for 30 something years and been focused on the great shooters, because those players have always gotten me excited and glued to the screen. Who has the greatest shot will always be debatable, but no other player has wowed me with his shots and goals as much as he has.

I’m on the same page with Babs that Patrik need’s to find the joy back in his game, and I want to see the cocky player who stick twirled and didn’t hold himself back celebrating when he scored. I mean, ok kid - you’ve worked hard to develop the other parts of the game and please keep doing so, but your first option should be to go for the kill with your shots, with no hesistation.
I’m with you about getting Laine excited again. He has the skill to elevate this team. What I see in Laine is the guy with the best goal scoring ability on the team and a player in the top 3 (maybe 2) in vision, passing and playmaking. Yes he’s prone to turnovers in bad spots and he’ll never be a Selke winner (though his backchecking is good).

Laine is much more than a guy who just shoots the puck. A fully engaged Laine can be a huge plus for the Jackets

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I read the article and I realize they are being coy about it but I believe Laine is far more valuable to us on the wing than in the middle. We don't have anyone else who can do what Laine does from the wing.

I'm way behind on this type of analysis on the team, I admit I'm just starting to pay any attention at all. I've got a friend from Xenia that is really into hockey and he wants to go to some games this season so I'm investing a small amount of time into trying to catch up.

I only said this to say that I realize that I'm ignorant of most of the last three years.

Having said that, if you have a player that can play competent center (the baseline has to be defined for competent), especially a player of his caliber, they will almost always be more valuable at center than wing. If they are competent and want to play the position. One can't take motivation lightly.

As we get closer to the season, I'll spend more time looking over our roster so I can make a better judgement based on depth. I know who we just drafted. Babcock should, hopefully, be balanced with winning and player development.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad