Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
There is still one article where is written:

I'm not too clear on that, as they praised his shape last camp, see Werenski's words, and you can't slack off when training with Barkov. Although injuries have certainly affected his fitness. But he must move legs, that's what really bothers me about him.

Btw, Voráček's opinion him:
Pretty damning stuff

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
And where is written Jenner must play center in TOP 6? There are many possibilities, Kent can be more strength, we can draft one of Carlsson/Michkov who will play winger, Sillinger can be moved on wing etc.
Jenner is going to play in the top 6 next season, at least to start. Nobody else is even close to being proven down the middle. Highly doubt they are going to throw Johnson or Bedard/Fantilli straight to the wolves

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Pretty damning stuff
There is one more article. So to put it together, Jarmo wants Laine to move more and also to play center, he needs to change his training system (btw, Patrik is thinking about it too), his style, be more aggressive. But Finns can translate it more precisely.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Huh. I guess I glossed over those since they don't seem to actually be quotes.
Quotes, suggestions, implications, whatever. Jarmo appears to not believe Laine isn’t moving his feet or in the top condition. Which may be why he continues to get injured.

I’m not trying to run the guy out of town but he had baggage when we got him and he continues to have baggage.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Quotes, suggestions, implications, whatever. Jarmo appears to not believe Laine isn’t moving his feet or in the top condition. Which may be why he continues to get injured.

I’m not trying to run the guy out of town but he had baggage when we got him and he continues to have baggage.

I'm not trying to be difficult here either, it's just hard for me to suss out from the translation if that's actually the implication/suggestion/whatever, or if it's more like "he'll need to be even better shape if he wants to play center." That's why I'd rather just read what Jarmo actually said in a quote.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Don't forget that the injuries weren't due to poor physical condition, it wouldn't have come back so quickly 2x. But the fact is that during an injury, training will be limited, which affects fitness. Also, the system may be wrong, a player may work like a horse but due to incorrect exercises may not be ideally prepared.
About the leg movement, that's Laine's style, one game he does it, the next he doesn't. If he played on the wing he would continue to do so even if he had the fitness of a triathlete. Sometimes I feel like only explaining the baseball bat will help here. Maybe that's why it's better if he plays with players like Jenner, Voronkov, Chinakhov, Texier... in short, when he has to move, since they play more vertical hockey.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Don't forget that the injuries weren't due to poor physical condition, it wouldn't have come back so quickly 2x. But the fact is that during an injury, training will be limited, which affects fitness. Also, the system may be wrong, a player may work like a horse but due to incorrect exercises may not be ideally prepared.
About the leg movement, that's Laine's style, one game he does it, the next he doesn't. If he played on the wing he would continue to do so even if he had the fitness of a triathlete. Sometimes I feel like only explaining the baseball bat will help here. Maybe that's why it's better if he plays with players like Jenner, Voronkov, Chinakhov, Texier... in short, when he has to move, since they play more vertical hockey.

It sort of reads to me like the translation "in poor shape" means injured/not fully healthy, instead of lacking in fitness or offseason training issues. But what the heck do I know? The article refers to Laine as a "she" as well, so I'm taking all of it with a grain of salt unless a Finnish poster can clarify :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jarmo’s quotes about how he needs to be in better shape and move his feet.

He’s talking about the difference between being a winger and center.

”Kekalainen says playing as a center requires a lot more skating than as a winger, you need a different approach”

So if they are going for it next season they want Laine to train& prepare like a C.

Didn’t see that article as calling him out, more like encouraging him to rise to the challenge

Edit,

& just overall mentions that he wants Laine to become a more consistent player& that it can be achieved just as by making sure you train hard and keep your self in good shape

Last edited:

vayrynen

May 15, 2023
Didn’t see that article as calling him out, more like encouraging him to rise to the challenge

It was definitely calling him out. Also Finnish reporter Ville Touru wrote that eventually Blue Jackets didn't allow his participation in WC. I 100% agree with Jarmo here. Player who has been injured as frequently as Laine and has been out-of-shape based on the comments by Jarmo has no business to play in WC. His salary is not exactly small and with that comes responsibility.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
IS is a tabloid, so they'll make everything sound more dramatic than it is.

I dont think Jarmo said anything we didnt already know.

Laine needs to adjust his training so he can:
1. Stay healthy and be more consistent.
- Those things go hand in hand, and everyone agrees.
2. Be more active and agressive if he wants to transition to playing center.
- Nothing new or special there.

In a classic tabloid fashion, then the writer went on to speculate that Laine could be traded since he is not an untouchable asset yet. That is true for every player currently on the roster. It's just the matter of whether someone better becomes available, which is unlikely in the case of the top players in the team.

And after the injury filled season he had, Columbus blocking Laine going to WC right after an injury is not surprising or news worthy at all imo.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think the problem may be in the right training setup. A player can train hard, but due to the wrong composition of training exercises the muscles can be prone to injury. So a player may come in prepared (and that Laine came in was confirmed by Werenski), but he loses shape due to injuries. Btw, Barkov also tends to get injured, he played 67 games last season, 68 this season, if you just think about the last two seasons.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Please, can you explain me these stats? I have problems with similar. If I understand correctly with Laine we are shooting more and they are shooting us less from the positions where he is.
If recall correctly those charts compare to league average. Havent checked any facts so feel free to correct me.

When Laine is on ice:
* CBJ generates more scoring chances. Expected goals scored compared to league average improved from -12% to +1%
* CBJ gives up less scoring chances. Expected goals conceded compared to league average went down from +17% to +13%.

The blue and red zones on the chart tell where the chances came from. The darker the color, the further away from league average the expected goals from the area are.

On offensive: When Laine is on ice CBJ gets a lot of scoring chances from the left circle area. Overall CBJ generates very few opportunities from net-front.

On defensive: Laine being on ice seems to limit the shots D-men get from left side blueline. Overall CBJ suck at defense, especially at net front. Laine has a positive effect but mostly on limiting low danger chances.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
So you coach to your players strengths. Put him always in a position to succeed. Not exactly a new concept. Laine IS an asset to be used wisely with his skill set. Just need a wise coach now who undertunderstands his squads strengths and weaknesses. Id love to hear the candidates thoughts especially Vincent. Id love to hear his 100% honest take on the squad since his arrival and what he'd want to try differently.

Reactions: koteka

vayrynen

May 15, 2023
So you coach to your players strengths. Put him always in a position to succeed. Not exactly a new concept. Laine IS an asset to be used wisely with his skill set. Just need a wise coach now who undertunderstands his squads strengths and weaknesses.

The problem with Laine is that quite often you have to go with weaknesses first. My view is that his biggest weaknesses are on the offensive zone. Basically a player that has zero capability for puck protection and getting his feet moving when there's some physical contact from defence. He has the size, but seems like he's missing balance on skates.

So, the poor possession numbers are there as the line with Laine is not able to keep pressure on offensive end as one player is useless when cycling the puck near the boards. There's no doubt he's very skilled offensively what comes to point production, but his weaknesses are often the thing which mandates his line mates.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The problem with Laine is that quite often you have to go with weaknesses first. My view is that his biggest weaknesses are on the offensive zone. Basically a player that has zero capability for puck protection and getting his feet moving when there's some physical contact from defence. He has the size, but seems like he's missing balance on skates.

So, the poor possession numbers are there as the line with Laine is not able to keep pressure on offensive end as one player is useless when cycling the puck near the boards. There's no doubt he's very skilled offensively what comes to point production, but his weaknesses are often the thing which mandates his line mates.

Might have been true in the past but he's really rounded out his game over the last couple seasons and this year all the lines had better possession numbers with Laine than without him. He was the most consistent and least linemate depended player on the team. I hope he keeps that up and his numbers scale up as the team around him gets better. Being the "best" in a crap team where being best means barely 50% is not terribly exciting, but it's at least somewhat encouraging.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Interesting

I doubt there is much to it. For a team looking to add to what they have putting it out there they will trade the LA pick I doubt they look to trade a player for a package focused around a pick. I suppose they could look to flip that pick but I dont think its realistic

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn’t trade Laine for a draft pick.

If teams want to call and give up a D or center for him? I’ll listen. I don’t anticipate this and I think he’s got a big year ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad