Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This x1000.

But there's another tangent here - Finland is coached by Jukka Jalonen and I'm fairly sure he's not going for an experimental C in a short tournament like this. He's usually very specific about the players he picks and wants them to play their role (more so for the bottom-6 of course). He has gone on record to say that Finland doesn't have that many great centers at the moment (outside of the top NHL guys like Barkov) so maybe there's a chance but I still find it unlikely. (To be more specific I think he mentioned that it's easy to find players for all the other positions throughout the local league and Europe, but centers are tough.)

So most likely Laine is going to play wing. Very interesting to see how his chemistry is going to be with whoever his linemates will be.
Well, in fact as the 2016 U20 WJC coach for Finland’s gold medal team, Jalonen made a bold move by making the 18 year old Sebastian Aho the number one center of the Finnish team. The interesting thing was that Aho hadn’t had almost any experience of playing as a center in his career before that. So I would say that if Jalonen sees any possibility in it maybe working, he might even try Laine as a center. Of course maybe not, but I wouldn’t really rule it out at least on the basis of Jalonen not being willing to experiment something similar before.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Well, the interesting thing is that in fact as the 2016 U20 WJC coach for Finland’s gold medal team, Jalonen made in fact a bold move by making the 18 year old Sebastian Aho the number one center of the Finnish team. The interesting thing was that Aho hadn’t had almost any experience of playing as a center in his career before that. So I would say in fact that if Jalonen sees any possibility in it maybe working, he might even try Laine as a center. Of course maybe not, but I wouldn’t really rule it out at least on the basis of Jalonen not being willing to experiment something similar before.
Thanks for the great insight! It really pays to have a global group of friends around here.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Soooo... Laine is not joining the EHT tourney after all and speculation is that he might be out of the WC (source). Kinda sucks, thought it was a done deal already, but maybe the injury re-aggravated or something. Quite strange of them to announce Laine's participation and then retract like this. Hopefully everything is fine behind the scenes.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Soooo... Laine is not joining the EHT tourney after all and speculation is that he might be out of the WC (source). Kinda sucks, thought it was a done deal already, but maybe the injury re-aggravated or something. Quite strange of them to announce Laine's participation and then retract like this. Hopefully everything is fine behind the scenes.
If Google translates me this article correctly, he lost his game shape. Patrik probably needs to work on it, one hasn't played in a long time and WC is not a long term tournament, players need to be ready right away. Your coaches/GM were probably hoping he would get into game shape sooner. But not everything goes quickly.

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
If Google translates me this article correctly, he lost his game shape. Patrik probably needs to work on it, one hasn't played in a long time and WC is not a long term tournament, players need to be ready right away. Your coaches/GM were probably hoping he would get into game shape sooner. But not everything goes quickly.

Google translate failed you there. He’s not in full playing shape is just a way of saying he’s injured.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
No Laine at the worlds sadly :( Information has been sparse, so can't really say if his injury hasn't healed as well as expected, or if it's something else/new, or if the CBJ are not letting him play. Taking into account the WHC is held in Finland in his hometown, I doubt CBJ would deny him participation unless it was a case of Laine feeling he can play and team thinking his injury is not fully healed.

Sucks in any case, would've been great opportunity for him to play for Finland and after only 55 games of suck hockey this season, I'm sure he would've been really motivated and eager to go. If he happened to tear it up / Finland played well, could've been a great boost next season in mind as well.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Very sad, he would've been extremely motivated... CBJ posted this:

I hope that's accurate in so far as Laine himself also feeling like he wasn't healthy enough. Oh well. Onto waiting for Barkov to become available so they can start summer training together again. :D

Reactions: VT and Halberdier

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it's better if he doesn't play, at least he'll get some rest, he'll be able to prepare well. Although, to be honest, I was really looking forward to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it's better if he doesn't play, at least he'll get some rest, he'll be able to prepare well. Although, to be honest, I was really looking forward to it.
Should allow him to hopefully get to 100% by the time he is ready to start training with Barkov. I'll be curious to see when that starts if it includes faceoff training or training any differently this season not just for the aspect of potentially playing center, but to adjust for his injuries.

Reactions: VT

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I find it kind of comical that Laine’s off-season training with Barkov keeps getting brought up. Like that’s going to be some sort of awakening to his all around game and keep him healthy 🥱
I wasn't thinking Barkov was magically going to fix his problems. Just that I wonder if Laine will reevaluate his offseason. There's a lot more skating involved if Laine truly wants to transition to becoming a center, which would definitely alter his offseason workout regimen.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I find it kind of comical that Laine’s off-season training with Barkov keeps getting brought up. Like that’s going to be some sort of awakening to his all around game and keep him healthy 🥱
Like his all around game needs some "awakening". He just needs to stay healthy, hopefully Dr. Barkov will find the cure when they train together.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I guess this mini saga can be concluded: it's per doctor's orders that Laine can't play in the WC (source, in Finnish). So he wanted to play, Finland wanted him to play (well at least the decision makers and 80% of the population), CBJ and Jarmo wanted or at least would have allowed him to play, but doctor(s) did not agree. Not entirely sure if that's CBJ doctors or who though but good enough of an answer for me and a huge disappointment for Laine.

So yeah, Patrik Laine thread V: Injuries Strike Back sounds good to me. :D

Reactions: NotCommitted

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There is still one article where is written:

After COLUMBUS' NHL season, Kekäläinen gave some very frank comments about Laineinen.

- Laine is one player who certainly needs to think about his own training between seasons. Especially if he wants to play as a centre. It requires a different engine and approach. As a winger you can stand, as a centre you can't," Kekäläinen said.

Kekäläinen called for Lainee to have "the summer of his life" and suggested that Laine has not been in the best possible shape.

- The difference between his top game and a weak game is too big. The difference is evened out if you train hard enough and are fit enough.

- The challenge has been thrown to Laine for the summer. If he is to have any hopes of playing as a centre next season and continuing the experiment, he must have the summer of his life now and come to the autumn camp in peak condition, Kekäläinen said.

I'm not too clear on that, as they praised his shape last camp, see Werenski's words, and you can't slack off when training with Barkov. Although injuries have certainly affected his fitness. But he must move legs, that's what really bothers me about him.

Btw, Voráček's opinion him:

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
There is still one article where is written:

I'm not too clear on that, as they praised his shape last camp, see Werenski's words, and you can't slack off when training with Barkov. Although injuries have certainly affected his fitness. But he must move legs.
That makes me think the center trial is far from over.

Which makes them rethink their off-season plans.

If we get one of the big 3 that could be ready next season, and Laine transitions that makes me think we aren't going after Hayes.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If the Laine center experiment prevents us from getting Hayes then it's so extremely worth it
There's just so many spots I don't see how they could go after one if they think Laine could really make that transition and it opens up another wing spot.

Bedard/Fantilli(it's happening)
Jenner
Laine
Johnson
Sillinger
Kuraly

Even if Johnson is on the wing again and Sillinger starts in the AHL there's no open spots unless Laine and/or Bedard/Fantilli start on the wing, or in Fantilis case, he goes back for one more season.

Reactions: LJ7

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There's just so many spots I don't see how they could go after one if they think Laine could really make that transition and it opens up another wing spot.

Bedard/Fantilli(it's happening)
Jenner
Laine
Johnson
Sillinger
Kuraly

Even if Johnson is on the wing again and Sillinger starts in the AHL there's no open spots unless Laine and/or Bedard/Fantilli start on the wing, or in Fantilis case, he goes back for one more season.
And where is written Jenner must play center in TOP 6? There are many possibilities, Kent can be more strength, we can draft one of Carlsson/Michkov who will play winger, Sillinger can be moved on wing etc.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Personally, if I'm drafting Carlsson to just move to the wing then I'm probably drafting Leonard or Michkov to be a dedicated winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad