Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That's precisely why it isn't interesting for me to follow. Laine could show up in great shape again and it would be hard to get excited about it. He was injured in the first game in two of the last three years.
I think he implied he'll try to look into whether it's something to do with his summer training? It's a long shot but let's hope for the best.

But usually injury proneness does not improve with age, so it is very worrying. Learning to know your own body helps, but wont save anyone

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's precisely why it isn't interesting for me to follow. Laine could show up in great shape again and it would be hard to get excited about it. He was injured in the first game in two of the last three years.
IMO we need to ask differently. Could he not have gotten hurt in this situation? Didn't he come back earlier than expected (2x) just because of good summer training? There are only questions nothing more.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
but marchy gets goals from in close

Why doesn’t Laine “get goals from in close”??

this is impressively low-effort trolling. definitely not cherry picking to point to a bad 3v3 sequence where the jackets literally don't have a defenseman on the ice! nope, not at all!

It’s showing him getting “outsmarted”, “outmuscled”, “outworked”….OUTPLAYED by a much smaller damn near 40 year old.

Don’t give me anything bout that ankle. Especially, as some of you CONTINUE to parrot this narrative that he comes back sooner than the initial injury estimates/timelines given, as if that means he’s doing something positive or working extra hard at something.

His ankle was fine. Keep skating for gods sake, or keep holding on to Parise. He did neither. If he had any on ice awareness or strength to use his size, Parise should have never gotten the step on him to begin with. Again, that is 38 year old Parise we are talking and Laine is looked at and treated like 28 year old Parise by most of the fan club around here.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Marchenko, thanks to his style, has better chemistry with Gaudreau. Laine has changed his style, he's trying to hold the puck, trying to pass more.
chemistry is subjective and isn't completely aligned with results. as you said, there were definitely times when 13 and 29 looked out of sync, which led to the 'no chemistry' narrative.

despite that, the jackets were actually far better this season with laine + gaudreau on the ice than with gaudreau + marchenko.

Line5v5 TOIGFGAGF%CFCACF%
13-38-29234:39131056.52%26724452.25%
13-38-86220:0691242.86%19524943.92%
13-96-2979:275362.50%767251.35%
13-91-2948:311150.00%494353.25%
13-7-8628:011150.00%242450.00%
13-29-8624:431150.00%302554.55%

the first two rows there are the most direct comparables (similar TOI, jenner as a constant at center) – 13-38-29 put up very strong numbers, but with marchenko in for laine, suddenly that line was getting heavily outshot and outscored.

when laine and gaudreau played together with other centers (johnson or roslovic) they had similarly strong numbers, albeit in smaller sample sizes.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
saw this in the offseason thread but think that my related rant would make more sense here:

i think the odds of a laine trade are probably higher than this board assumes they are, but portzline's gone out of his way to dump all over laine recently.

first, in last week's sunday gathering:

portzline paints laine's four injuries this year as somehow being his own fault, when those injuries were:
1. hyperextended elbow (on this hard hit)
2. sprained ankle (skates tied up on this play)
3. covid (missed two games)
4. triceps (reported as sprain, portzline mentioned it was torn?)

the first two of those are awkward impact injuries – unlucky, unavoidable. he came back earlier than expected from both. the third is COVID. not sure what portzline is trying to say there.

the fourth led to him getting shut down while the team was shutting down all of its injured players. it's absurd to paint that as somehow being unique to laine, or problematic, or being his own fault.

then, in the article about larsen getting fired:

portzline saying that laine's career has gone 'off the rails' makes no sense given that he just:
1. led the team in points/game
2. was their best player in a lot of advanced stats (only positive GF% on the team, best CF%)
3. got better as the season went on (13-23–36 in his last 31 games; 95 point pace)
4. had four assists in two games AT CENTER after never playing there

the way that portzline has written about laine ever since his arrival has seemed odd but this is taking it to a whole different level – just completely disregarding facts to take swipes at laine in articles that have nothing to do with him.
IIRC Laine himself said that he was going to look into his offseason training as he usually goes really hard, in regards to his injuries.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
His ankle was fine. Keep skating for gods sake, or keep holding on to Parise.
it's extremely well-known that hockey players who suffer sprained/broken feet/ankles often finish the game anyway because their skates are so tight that there's no room for the injury to cause swelling until it's taken off.

hell, nick blankenburg scored a goal on a broken ankle earlier this year, then missed two months after the game.
He did neither. If he had any on ice awareness or strength to use his size, Parise should have never gotten the step on him to begin with. Again, that is 38 year old Parise we are talking and Laine is looked at and treated like 28 year old Parise by most of the fan club around here.
he sprained his ankle on that play when his skates got tangled up with parise.

either way, that's both the entire CBJ 3-man unit failing AND NYI playing it pretty much perfectly. pelech was lightning quick on the retrieval/outlet. laine recovered nicely but then interfered and got tied up, then toe picked, which led to parise getting space. the toe pick is where the injury happened.

but the biggest CBJ failing on that play is boone jenner (although it's not really his fault because cbj was playing 3F for some reason) who is the last man back and makes no effort to block the passing lane, which is his role there. that gives parise a wide open net.

worth noting that there is no amount of conditioning in the world that could've prevented his opening night injury this season.

the jackets had >500 man games lost. a big chunk of that – laine's opening night injury included – are simply the product of bad luck.

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
Patrick Laine is not a center, does not have the skating ability or passion to be impactful.
I have no idea why, but this bothers me too much I can't not reply. Sorry, I'm not usually like this, and not sure if you are trolling, but he has been in Columbus for two seasons and is one of the teams best players, and I think it's not that hard to memorize: the name is Patrik.

Googled and kind of surprised that found nhl.com and ballysports.com quilty of the same. Oh well, I should go to sleep since I clearly have nothing better to do.

Reactions: Marioesque

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I have no idea why, but this bothers me too much I can't not reply. Sorry, I'm not usually like this, and not sure if you are trolling, but he has been in Columbus for two seasons and is one of the teams best players, and I think it's not that hard to memorize: the name is Patrik.
Why would I be trolling? When I type Patrik it autocorrects to Patrick - it’s not that deep.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Googled and kind of surprised that found nhl.com and ballysports.com quilty of the same. Oh well, I should go to sleep since I clearly have nothing better to do.

There is no need to make an elephant out of a fly. If the system has text correction turned on, it automatically overwrites "Patrick". And even if he doesn't, the name "Patrick" isn't used in his country, so you may miss it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
There is no need to make an elephant out of a fly. If the system has text correction turned on, it automatically overwrites "Patrick". And even if he doesn't, the name "Patrick" isn't used in his country, so you may miss it.
Same problem occurs for Mathieu Olivier. It always changes to Matthew Oliver.
Makes sense. Sorry for troubling you.
No worries. I’m not smart enough to be trolling on that level hahaha

Reactions: VT

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Kudos to Laine for his generosity in helping the homeless. In giving $52,000 -$1,000 for each point - he commented on how everyone should have a home or place to stay and that his family needed support while he was growing up.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nobody can tell that I don't like Patrik Laine. Still, I don't think Patrik is the team's MVP, which is what Sean Gentille and Dom Luszczyszyn claim.
Lumii_20230422_154046110.jpg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Nobody can tell that I don't like Patrik Laine. Still, I don't think Patrik is the team's MVP, which is what Sean Gentille and Dom Luszczyszyn claim.
View attachment 693960
It’s really hard to pick any MVP for the Jackets this season. Marchenko played well above expectations - at least mine - but in the end you’re left to chose between Johnny and Padry though some may say it’s Boone.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It’s really hard to pick any MVP for the Jackets this season. Marchenko played well above expectations - at least mine - but in the end you’re left to chose between Johnny and Padry though some may say it’s Boone.
Patrik played 55 games, Johnny 80 games. Difference - 25 games. He cannot be MVP.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Ooh, that's great news on Laine participating in the WHC.

On the whole MVP thing, I would find it hard to argue against Laine being the best player this year, but "MVP"? 27 games is a lot to miss, but what does "MVP" even mean when you finish 31st in the standings :D

Actually the real MVP would probably be Korpisalo, the record with him in net vs without speaks for itself, but then again he missed the start of the season and by the time he was ready to go, the season was basically lost and then he got moved at TDL...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
View attachment 693960
It's often matter of perspective.

It's valid opinion to say Laine is MVP due to his superior "underlying stats" & on-ice effectiveness for winning, and also his points. Also you can have valid case for Johnny Gaudreau. Others this season? Absolutely no way. Next season it might be another guy as a MVP.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's often matter of perspective.

It's valid opinion to say Laine is MVP due to his superior "underlying stats" & on-ice effectiveness for winning, and also his points. Also you can have valid case for Johnny Gaudreau. Others this season? Absolutely no way. Next season it might be another guy as a MVP.
Patrik played 55 games. It is too little for MVP even if a player played great.

I am going to buy tickets... :sarcasm:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
View attachment 693960

They have a point until someone else shows otherwise on the ice. Yeah he's been the MVP but sidelined too often. Performance wise yes, he outplayed Johnny and that was the competition. Korpi would have been the 3rd option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad