Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Never said he wasn't, just not good enough to be on the top line of this team.
Laine is superior to Nash in one category, shooting.

Everything else, defense, passing, net drive, skating, effort, is advantage Rick Nash. Although effort is closer than people would think.

Nash would play over Laine. He’s a better overall hockey player at this point in their careers. And even if you compare them at the same age, Nash is a better player even if Laine may have more points.

My goodness I can’t believe we’re comparing Nash and Laine. Camp can’t get started soon enough

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Laine is superior to Nash in one category, shooting.

Everything else, defense, passing, net drive, skating, effort, is advantage Rick Nash. Although effort is closer than people would think.

Nash would play over Laine. He’s a better overall hockey player at this point in their careers. And even if you compare them at the same age, Nash is a better player even if Laine may have more points.

My goodness I can’t believe we’re comparing Nash and Laine. Camp can’t get started soon enough
PPG

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
We’ve had Rick Nash. We’ve had Artemi Panarin. We know what good hockey players look like.

Most fans are past seeing a guy win a Rocket Richard trophy. We want WINS. 1st round playoffs wasn’t good enough 3 years ago. That’s what most care about, what ALL should care about, most importantly Laine himself.

Last season means nothing if the year before that means nothing. TONS of guys has increased point totals. THE TEAM SUCKED. Laine did little to nothing to make the team dangerous over an extended period, or ANY period if we're honest.

Anyways, he better move his feet and score some f***ing goals when shit starts up.
So you think because he didn't win us a playoff series by himself he's not good? It's comical at this point. Zero players in this league take that team anywhere by themselves. Expectations are through the roof for Laine yet normal for other players. What's the point of being so against one player?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where does Nash fit on this team?

I think you still put Laine with Gaudreau because he's the one whose output scales up the most with a great playmaker across from him. Rick Nash was a great goal scorer, he'd score a lot more with Gaudreau than he did with Malhotra and company - probably 90 pts or so in some years. But he was also a play driver and didn't need as much help as Laine does. Rick Nash was a better player.

Reactions: domi28 and thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Something something not until Hitch mumble mumble Nash's rookie season somethings about rose colored glasses and then something about being wrong.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
what I'm talking about right here.

Look you guys want to crap all of this team, at least be realistic about it. People on here are complaining about a winger defensive ability.

Jere Lehtinen called, he wants his 2003 Selke back lol

Go ahead, be miserable; I wont stop ya.
This is the best part.

You think you know what everyone else thinks?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
We’ve had Rick Nash. We’ve had Artemi Panarin. We know what good hockey players look like.

Most fans are past seeing a guy win a Rocket Richard trophy. We want WINS. 1st round playoffs wasn’t good enough 3 years ago. That’s what most care about, what ALL should care about, most importantly Laine himself.

Last season means nothing if the year before that means nothing. TONS of guys has increased point totals. THE TEAM SUCKED. Laine did little to nothing to make the team dangerous over an extended period, or ANY period if we're honest.

Anyways, he better move his feet and score some f***ing goals when shit starts up.

I do understand your skepticism, it is possibly warranted.

However, I have to argue against your pessimism with my optimism. You seem to have an image in your mind of Patrik Laine, that I do not share.

Maybe trust those who have seen him the most. They usually tend to tell you that you might not yet understand how good of a player you have here. Hopefully next season will convince you otherwise.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Last season Laine did make CBJ much better. CBJ was mid-tier lottery team when Laine was injured, but just barely a playoff team with him. You are just a blind hater so no matter what Laine does next 4 years, you will still hate the guy (and couple of other guys you passionately hate, for an unknown reason). There is no way Laine will ever win your heart. The silver lining? Absolutely nobody cares.

Nice that you did bring up Rick Nash. Rick Nash had career total 0.76 PPG. While Laine had really bad first season as a Blue Jacket, his Blue Jacket PPG happens to be exactly 0.76, and I am pretty sure it's much closer to 1.00 when his current contract expires. Now, Rick Nash as a Blue Jacket had 0.81 PPG, only a hair lower than Laine as a Jet, and a hair higher than Laine's career total PPG of 0.80.

Panarin is on his own league for now and one of the very best players in the World. He came into the league as old as Laine is now (24 year old) and that certainly helps. When all is said and done, I would not be too surprised if Laine surpassed Panarin as a player.

Last edited:

Tecmo

Jul 24, 2022
Ohio
I'm pro Laine, but he's not on Rick Nash-level yet for talent. Let's see how Laine plays out his contract and performs on ice the upcoming years before we compare the two.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think you still put Laine with Gaudreau because he's the one whose output scales up the most with a great playmaker across from him. Rick Nash was a great goal scorer, he'd score a lot more with Gaudreau than he did with Malhotra and company - probably 90 pts or so in some years. But he was also a play driver and didn't need as much help as Laine does. Rick Nash was a better player.
After last season, how can anyone say Laine is a player dependent on partners? He has also shown himself to be a great playmaker. Although even if he was playing with Josh Dunne and Mathieu Olivier, for someone he would be dependent on them.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Rocket for 41 goals.

That doesn't matter at all, scoring was way lower back then. Doesn't take anything away from the accomplishment. Only 3 guys broke 40, all with 41. You always gotta compare to your peers.

Goes both ways - like Laine's 44 goal season wouldn't have been all that impressive last year when you needed over 60 to win the Rocket, but when Laine did it he was 2nd only to Ovechkin and no one broke 50. You made top10 back then with under 40. In his rookie year Laine scored 36 and that was good for 7th most or something in the league. Scoring has been creeping up the last few years, this year almost 20 guys scored over 40 and 36 goals would've been good barely for top25 or something.

Winning the Rocket with 41 is more impressive than coming 2nd with 44 - even if you tie for it with couple others. In 2003-04, there 20 guys to break 30 goals. Goes to show how much lower scoring was back then.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Rocket for 41 goals.

Here lies the problem in comparing stats over different years or “era’s”, or simply looking at goals and points as the only or main evaluation tool.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That doesn't matter at all, scoring was way lower back then. Doesn't take anything away from the accomplishment. Only 3 guys broke 40, all with 41. You always gotta compare to your peers.

Goes both ways - like Laine's 44 goal season wouldn't have been all that impressive last year when you needed over 60 to win the Rocket, but when Laine did it he was 2nd only to Ovechkin and no one broke 50. You made top10 back then with under 40. In his rookie year Laine scored 36 and that was good for 7th most or something in the league. Scoring has been creeping up the last few years, this year almost 20 guys scored over 40 and 36 goals would've been good barely for top25 or something.

Winning the Rocket with 41 is more impressive than coming 2nd with 44 - even if you tie for it with couple others. In 2003-04, there 20 guys to break 30 goals. Goes to show how much lower scoring was back then.
Last season was really crazy. We'll see how the next one goes.
I think we're underestimating Laine. But his true qualities are hard to gauge as his play has been affected by injuries. Oh, and last season was the first season he just led the team on offense, he was always in the shadow of others on the Jets. The future will tell.

Reactions: LJ7

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Here lies the problem in comparing stats over different years or “era’s”, or simply looking at goals and points as the only or main evaluation tool.
Laine had 44, only Ovechkin had more. In this era was one the best snipers. But you has only found bad sides his play.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

True. Though scoring was down also for 16-17 and to some extent 17-18. After that there has been some very high scoring seasons, that's for sure.

For example on 16-17 there were only 9 players with 1.00 PPG compared to whopping 45 last season or 12 compared to 2003-04.

Reactions: NotCommitted

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Btw, I still don't see how you can compare two typologically different players, especially if the time when Nash played was different than now.

Reactions: Halberdier

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Penguins fan coming in peace-

I was much more concerned about and impressed by Nash whenever Pittsburgh played Columbus. I’ve seen both live (went to OSU and still live in the general area), and Nash just had a greater impact on the game, in my opinion.

The only thing Laine seems to have on Nash is scoring from range. That’s certainly a nice skill to have, but it doesn’t make them equal as players.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Nash & Laine are completely different players playing in different decades with much different teams. Do you think for a minute Nash wouldn’t give his eye teeth to play with a team that has as much talent as this team has now??

We signed Johnny, extended Laine and drafted two top tier Dmen, for God’s sake take a deep breath. This team is really 1-2 years away.. but why not get the party started now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad