Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
IMO,
Jarmo is looking for a center.
Gaudreau is signed longterm under 10m.
And I don't see Jarmo making Laine the highest paid player on the team.

It really doesn't matter how good he does (HoF, PPG)
And it really doesn't matter how bad he is ( - 45, injuried)
Whatever his price, it's going to be longterm and more than he is worth (UFA)

Hypothetical, if Gaudreau was already here and signed, would Jarmo trade for Laine OR continue looking for a center? He probably gave him a 4 year deal so he could have time to trade him. Because Laine's contract doesn't appear to fit CBJ's window for a cup run. Unless bigger moves are made.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
IMO,
Jarmo is looking for a center.
Gaudreau is signed longterm under 10m.
And I don't see Jarmo making Laine the highest paid player on the team.

It really doesn't matter how good he does (HoF, PPG)
And it really doesn't matter how bad he is ( - 45, injuried)
Whatever his price, it's going to be longterm and more than he is worth (UFA)

Hypothetical, if Gaudreau was already here and signed, would Jarmo trade for Laine OR continue looking for a center? He probably gave him a 4 year deal so he could have time to trade him. Because Laine's contract doesn't appear to fit CBJ's window for a cup run. Unless bigger moves are made.
Jarmo isn't looking for a top line center if he thinks he already has one. Going to go get a top end center is expensive and immediately stunts both Sillinger and Johnsons ability to developm into one. He's not gonna make a massive move to get a center until they both have shown they aren't capable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That is a dangerous assumption to make. Let’s say we are at the beginning of an 18 month recession which hits the next two hockey seasons and the cap stays flat for another 2 years. Then maybe it goes up a million each year for the following two years. The Canadian tv deal expires in 4 years, so maybe in 5 years you get a bump in the cap, but I’d be conservative for the next 4 seasons.

The point is we don’t have a damm clue how the NHL looks in 4 years time.

It’s pointless to argue whether they can pay him 11-12M at that point of time.
The cap should start to raise quickly after few years which will have an affect on salaries, or maybe it doesn’t move up that quickly.

We also have zero idea how these kids will develop during that 4 years time

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Our scoring was very good last year. Our possession, and straight defense was not good. More balance to our defense ie equal parts jumping to the rush or taking better angles and peeling back to prevent the opponent from unimpeded drives to the net is a big start. Better goaltending would also help lower goals against.

The Jackets started off too hot last year for a team in rebuild mode. They couldn’t keep that up and ultimately fizzled out. There were some bright spots though. Concentrate on winning. Puck possession tilts the ice in our favor.

The difference is, I know that I don’t know what the frick I am talking about eh?

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The Jackets started off too hot last year for a team in rebuild mode. They couldn’t keep that up and ultimately fizzled out.
The hot start cooled off when the best player (see title) got injured. Maybe this time Laine stays healthy and Gaudreau more than makes the gap left by Domi & Bjorkstrand.

Ps. while corsi is meaningless, real possession matters as the more time you spend o-zone, the better.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The hot start cooled off when the best player (see title) got injured. Maybe this time Laine stays healthy and Gaudreau more than makes the gap left by Domi & Bjorkstrand.

Ps. while corsi is meaningless, real possession matters as the more time you spend o-zone, the better.
Not quite. After Texier injury.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
EDIT: Texier injured 01/13, and we played very good on February. Of course Laine had to find his play after injury.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not quite. After Texier injury.
The hot start cooled long, long before Texier injury in January. Laine got injured early November and while CBJ still won a couple after that, the hottest hot was gone and the team dropped off playoff pace.

Lots of injuries hit last season (Laine x2, Jenner, Domi, Texier and a lot of D-men). All of them did hurt, some of them more than others.

EDIT: Texier injured 01/13, and we played very good on February. Of course Laine had to find his play after injury.
Exactly. Your time frame was way off.

The hot start was long gone in Janurary. The CBJ had a "restart" when Laine finally got back and found his game after a couple. (And that 'hot restart' cooled off after Domi was traded, Jenner got more and more difficulties with his back and Laine had some mystery injury they didn't really communicate what that was)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The hot start cooled long, long before Texier injury in January. Laine got injured early November and while CBJ still won a couple after that, the hottest hot was gone and the team dropped off playoff pace.

Lots of injuries hit last season (Laine x2, Jenner, Domi, Texier and a lot of D-men). All of them did hurt, some of them more than others.

Exactly. Your time frame was way off.

The hot start was long gone in Janurary. The CBJ had a "restart" when Laine finally got back and found his game after a couple. (And that 'hot restart' cooled off after Domi was traded, Jenner got more and more difficulties with his back and Laine had some mystery injury they didn't really communicate what that was)
Yes, my mistake. But we missed Tex a lot. If he begins to use his partners better, he could play the 1th line center IMHO.
Btw, I think Laine had similar problems like on November/December, maybe even sooner than he was IR. Probably we never know it. Similar like Tex problems. I hope they'll be ready and not only them, of course.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't think we have room for a 1C (salary wise).
It is likely a need but short of someone taking Jake or Gus back in a trade it's not likley going to fit.

Reactions: Ippenator

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't think we have room for a 1C (salary wise).
It is likely a need but short of someone taking Jake or Gus back in a trade it's not likley going to fit.
We play with what we got... and we play better than anyone anticipates. These Jackets love Lars, he is a players coach & they will play for each other.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
We play with what we got... and we play better than anyone anticipates. These Jackets love Lars, he is a players coach & they will play for each other.

I totally agree, we play with what we got. And we're in a much better position with what we got than most teams. Kent and Cole will provide us with the 1-2 center punch, it will really start paying off 2 years from now. Until then, we have Laine and Johnny, which in my opinion puts jackets in playoffs and a possible Cinderella run. The accumulated effect of Gaudreau-Laine will take so many by surprise, they guarantee wins even when the defense and goaltending are suspect. And the defense deficiency has been addressed by last 2 drafts (Jiricek, mateychuk, ceulemans).

The signing of Johnny Hockey is not just a 100+ points addition to CBJ, he will make Laine super effective and finally playing the role he is built for. Johnny will take the eyes away from Patty, and we all should know what happens when Laine has room to shoot.

I understand the nay sayers because their frame of reference is hfboards opinions and 1 really awful season and one point per game broken season. The people who have watched this player since 16-17 years old understand the insane potential, and Jarmo is one of these people who have been watching this guy forever.

There are no other players who are that threatening outside of the usual main scoring area. Laine is the only one that really works super effectively from outside that area. Nobody has yet exploited that advantage with him yet in the NHL, not to the max. He basically single handedly won a championship with just shots outside of sector in Finland at the age of 17-18.

Even us long time Laine followers know his restrictions, or mainly injury proneness, bit when healthy and especially when paired with someone who takes the focus off him, he's one of the most valuable pieces in this game. Because he does the most important thing in hockey better than anyone else from bigger distance than anyone else. That's the special sauce we need to capitalize on. This kid was the best shooter in the world when he was 17. He has only gotten better.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We’ve had Rick Nash. We’ve had Artemi Panarin. We know what good hockey players look like.

Most fans are past seeing a guy win a Rocket Richard trophy. We want WINS. 1st round playoffs wasn’t good enough 3 years ago. That’s what most care about, what ALL should care about, most importantly Laine himself.

Last season means nothing if the year before that means nothing. TONS of guys has increased point totals. THE TEAM SUCKED. Laine did little to nothing to make the team dangerous over an extended period, or ANY period if we're honest.

Anyways, he better move his feet and score some f***ing goals when shit starts up.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It's amazing really, the best team CBJ has ever had.

2 PPG players.
40-50pt 1d.
1 of the best prospect pools in the league.
1 of the best GMs in the league.

And all I see is....well our D sucks and it's all Laine's fault.

hey, Hey, HEY, guess what? RIck Nash would be a 2nd line winger on this team....yup, it's true. Nash aint a PPG player. and top line is where the best scorers and playmakers belong. He would be on the 2nd PP unit too.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's amazing really, the best team CBJ has ever had.

2 PPG players.
40-50pt 1d.
1 of the best prospect pools in the league.
1 of the best GMs in the league.

And all I see is....well our D sucks and it's all Laine's fault.

hey, Hey, HEY, guess what? RIck Nash would be a 2nd line winger on this team....yup, it's true. Nash aint a PPG player. and top line is where the best scorers and playmakers belong. He would be on the 2nd PP unit too.
Nash with help would have been a better point producer. What does downplaying Nash accomplish here?

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Nash with help would have been a better point producer. What does downplaying Nash accomplish here?
Where does Nash fit on this team? Just musing, entertaining myself with an interesting (to me anyways) hypothetical. And a little social experiment for curiosity sake.

Not downplaying him. Judging him as coldly as some judge Laine. And came to a logical conclusion.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Where does Nash fit on this team? Just musing, entertaining myself with an interesting (to me anyways) hypothetical. And a little social experiment for curiosity sake.

Not downplaying him. Judging him as coldly as some judge Laine. And came to a logical conclusion.
At 24 he had a Rocket to his name and 2 PPG seasons. He was good at hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad