Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirSox

Unhinged Jackets Fan
Jul 7, 2022
Maryland
That scared the shit out of me until I actually read the article. I was hoping they'd ask him about Johnny.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

This makes no sense to me. Why would the CBJ honor the QO after the deadline? Laine should know his plans by now so what difference does an extension make

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

This makes no sense to me. Why would the CBJ honor the QO after the deadline? Laine should know his plans by now so what difference does an extension make

To get him signed so he can play. It seems like both Laine and his agent understand the Gaudreau signing really threw a monkey wrench into things (in a good way.) and now pieces have to move to be cap compliant. Waiting to sign Laine give Jarmo a bit more power. Not a lot, but we have seen what Jarmo can do with a little bit of power (I.E the Seth Jones and PLD trades)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
To get him signed so he can play. It seems like both Laine and his agent understand the Gaudreau signing really threw a monkey wrench into things (in a good way.) and now pieces have to move to be cap compliant. Waiting to sign Laine give Jarmo a bit more power. Not a lot, but we have seen what Jarmo can do with a little bit of power (I.E the Seth Jones and PLD trades)
But if he knows he wants to stay the QO really becomes irrelevant. And him signing it is a sign he may not stay and all the power shifts to Laine at that point. I guess I’m just not sure why Jarmo would willingly give up that leverage.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Thank goodness the Laine negotiations weren't over before 8 days ago because then we wouldn't have had the cap space laying around to randomly sign Johnny Gaudreau over the course of an hour.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Dude wore Panthers jersey in the summer practice
Panthers captain and his best friend Barkov is leading the summer practice team so that's nothing.

That said, if Jarmo misses his opportunity now, who knows if Laine just signs the 1 year QO and goes to Florida as UFA. I am sure that Laine's options number 1 and 2 are to stay in CBJ with a long contract, but I guess options 3+ might involve playing with his buddy and one of the best centers of the game. Cap situation in Florida might not be ideal, but the taxation is.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
But if he knows he wants to stay the QO really becomes irrelevant. And him signing it is a sign he may not stay and all the power shifts to Laine at that point. I guess I’m just not sure why Jarmo would willingly give up that leverage.
Because if worse comes to worse, that gives you a number you have to clear. If the worst happens and he signs the QO, the Jackets only have to clear about 5.5 million in cap. If talks are as amiable as its rumored to be, an agreement like this wouldn't be the worst or most insane thing to happen. I wouldn't like it to happen, but sometimes you have to take a risk

Reactions: Tommigun

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Exactly seems like Jarmo may have lost the hammer.

3 teams (estimated) have a lot of cap space and it seems like those teams are finally not taking any deals. THey are looking to not just take on salaries but also to add picks and prospects. THat is what it may come down to is take Nyquist and a 4th round pick for a 6th round pick.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Because if worse comes to worse, that gives you a number you have to clear. If the worst happens and he signs the QO, the Jackets only have to clear about 5.5 million in cap. If talks are as amiable as its rumored to be, an agreement like this wouldn't be the worst or most insane thing to happen. I wouldn't like it to happen, but sometimes you have to take a risk
He signs the QO, then they can’t negotiate anything else until Jan 1. Talks may be amicable now but a lot can change in a few months. I’d rather not risk that. But I’m not Jarmo so…

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
A little over 23 hours to pick up the QO or leave it. I would think that if the deal is not done tomorrow it's going to take a while. Unless Laine takes the QO which opens another can of worms, as described by majormajor and others, earlier.

Reactions: Halberdier

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't think Laine will take it. It'll never get to the point where he'd sit a whole year. Laine would obviously lose a lot of money there, and from Jarmo's point of view it'll hurt the team massively and also Columbus' reputation among agents/players would crash. They'll put together a quick one year deal before the season starts if long-term deal is not working out.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I don't think Laine will take it. It'll never get to the point where he'd sit a whole year. Laine would obviously lose a lot of money there, and from Jarmo's point of view it'll hurt the team massively and also Columbus' reputation among agents/players would crash. They'll put together a quick one year deal before the season starts if long-term deal is not working out.
If Laine takes the deal he will not be sitting at all - it's a one year deal for 7.5M that is on the table. The problem is that CBJ would risk losing him as UFA that he would become next Summer when the deal expires. CBJ could not extend him until January.

The sitting out could take place if Laine leaves the QO on the table and they can't reach a deal before the end of the Year. Then he would have sat out the first part of the season and he could not play for the rest of it, as per CBA. I would give that about 0.01% chance of happening from top of my head, BTW. It would be terrible for both parties - even more so to Laine than the Jackets since Laine would waste a year of his finite career. Jackets could just hold on to Gus and enjoy Gaudreau's first season as their premier star. Not optimal but not disastrous as it would be for Laine, especially since he seems like a guy that likes to be loved. No one loves a hold out.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If Laine takes the deal he will not be sitting at all - it's a one year deal for 7.5M that is on the table. The problem is that CBJ would risk losing him as UFA that he would become next Summer when the deal expires. CBJ could not extend him until January.

The sitting out could take place if Laine leaves the QO on the table and they can't reach a deal before the end of the Year. Then he would have sat out the first part of the season and he could not play for the rest of it, as per CBA. I would give that about 0.01% chance of happening from top of my head, BTW. It would be terrible for both parties - even more so to Laine than the Jackets since Laine would waste a year of his finite career. Jackets could just hold on to Gus and enjoy Gaudreau's first season as their premier star. Not optimal but not disastrous as it would be for Laine, especially since he seems like a guy that likes to be loved. No one loves a hold out.
If he would really hold out for the season, I would definitely change my mind about him. So far I have been sure that he definitely isn’t a greedy idiot. But if that would really happen, it would be sad to admit that he would after all be exactly those things. Wouldn’t definitely be a favorite player for me anymore. But I will never believe that could happen until I would really see it happen.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

He could play in Europe. But I don't think it'll be happen. The first, it's not fact another team would get him such money. The second, play with Gaudreau can increase his value because of better stats (G/P) even if he doesn't play with him in the line. The third, he probably really likes the team, the teammates. And where is the fact another locker room would be so good too.

AirSox

Unhinged Jackets Fan
Jul 7, 2022
Maryland
I dream of seeing Johnny Hockey and Laser Laine playing together man. It would be a massive kick in the dick if we lose the laser because we couldn't get a deal done. I just wanna see this duo tear it up for years to come. That is all I ask...it's literally the only fan wish I have at the moment...MAKE IT HAPPEN JARMO!

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
He could play in Europe. But I don't think it'll be happen. The first, it's not fact another team would get him such money. The second, play with Gaudreau can increase his value because of better stats (G/P) even if he doesn't play with him in the one line. The third, he probably really like the team, the teammates. And where is the fact another locker room would be so good too.
I don't think there is much of a chance of Laine holding out at all. But apart from the QO expiring tomorrow there really is no time frame. Next important date is CBJ training camp starting. I bet he is under contract by then.

Reactions: Marioesque

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Here's how I see it. If Laine accepts the QO tomorrow, he's gone. One way or another.

I don't expect that to happen, I expect they are close on a 5-6 year deal and they will get it done, but maybe not before tomorrow. There is no doubt Laine's agent is seeing what's gone on in UFA this cycle.

The Johnny signing changed a great deal about the Laine situation. Prior to Johnny, Laine had a great argument to be the highest paid CBJ player at $9.6m. Now that Johnny who scored 115 points signed for $9.75m for 7 years, Laine doesn't have the same argument. I fully expect this deal to be signed for 3-6 years at $8.5-$9m. I could also see an $8m 2 year deal if things get goofy.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I dream of seeing Johnny Hockey and Laser Laine playing together man. It would be a massive kick in the dick if we lose the laser because we couldn't get a deal done. I just wanna see this duo tear it up for years to come. That is all I ask...it's literally the only fan wish I have at the moment...MAKE IT HAPPEN JARMO!
It really is a dream come true for Laine fans. All along people have said he needs a true superstar playmaker linemate and he's one signature away from being paired with one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's how I see it. If Laine accepts the QO tomorrow, he's gone. One way or another.

I don't expect that to happen, I expect they are close on a 5-6 year deal and they will get it done, but maybe not before tomorrow. There is no doubt Laine's agent is seeing what's gone on in UFA this cycle.

The Johnny signing changed a great deal about the Laine situation. Prior to Johnny, Laine had a great argument to be the highest paid CBJ player at $9.6m. Now that Johnny who scored 115 points signed for $9.75m for 7 years, Laine doesn't have the same argument. I fully expect this deal to be signed for 3-6 years at $8.5-$9m. I could also see an $8m 2 year deal if things get goofy.

I agree with all of it except I don't see the deal being done soon. It will take a while until parties adjust their positions. If I had to guess a date, I'd guess they'll get it done during training camp.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I agree with all of it except I don't see the deal being done soon. It will take a while until parties adjust their positions. If I had to guess a date, I'd guess they'll get it done during training camp.
I don't necessarily expect it soon either. I just hope they get it done soon. We have other moves to be made and I'd rather get those moving ASAP.

We can't afford to wait until training camp to get Cap Compliant. We'll get raked if this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad