Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
What makes you think Barzal is available?

As for Laine, if getting an elite playmaker is not enough for him, then it’s all about money and he’s certainly not worth more than $9m per year.
He WAS definitely "worth" $9.6m until Johnny signed for $9.75m. The market shifted. Look around- Kadri and Klingebrg haven't signed. The market moved in a big way DOWN.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
He WAS definitely "worth" $9.6m until Johnny signed for $9.75m. The market shifted. Look around- Kadri and Klingebrg haven't signed. The market moved in a big way DOWN.
That is a great point. IMO laine, Kadri and Klingeburg aren't on the same level as Johnny, but those 3 are on the same level as each other. So its almost like everyone is waiting until someone blinks and decides to sign, thus setting the market for those types of players.

Reactions: AirSox

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
That is a great point. IMO laine, Kadri and Klingeburg aren't on the same level as Johnny, but those 3 are on the same level as each other. So its almost like everyone is waiting until someone blinks and decides to sign, thus setting the market for those types of players.

From contract perspective there are differences, those guys are selling twilight years and Laine is selling prime. Klingberg to me is a top 4 D, I don't see how he's comparable to someone I expect to put up 60 goals in a full season.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Kadri and Klingberg thought they were going to get a better offer than they got in the opening hours of the first day of UFA. They bet wrong. A week later, the only teams left with the money to pay them a big deal, aren't in a position to pay someone over age 30 a big deal.

Laine, thought he was going to be the highest paid CBJ, then comes Johnny. Now Laine has to figure out the following- Do I bet on myself for one year with Johnny? Do I bet on myself for 3 years with Johnny (when Cap goes up)? or, Do I lock in long term with Johnny? Notice the one name that didn't exist a week ago that now factors into all of Laine's decisions?

If I'm Laine now, I do a 3 year deal with Johnny and re-evaluate when the cap goes up and I've had three years with an elite playmaker. This allows me to get injured one of those years and still come back and get a $10m+ offer down the road.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If I'm Laine now, I do a 3 year deal with Johnny and re-evaluate when the cap goes up and I've had three years with an elite playmaker. This allows me to get injured one of those years and still come back and get a $10m+ offer down the road.

In the current world situation, I wouldn't bet too much money on the cap going up. Of course moneywise these guys are all set up anyway, so they don't really have to worry about stability, but if trying to maximize earnings, there's no guarantee a deal 3 years from now will play better.

Reactions: VT

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Here's how I see it. If Laine accepts the QO tomorrow, he's gone. One way or another.

I don't expect that to happen, I expect they are close on a 5-6 year deal and they will get it done, but maybe not before tomorrow. There is no doubt Laine's agent is seeing what's gone on in UFA this cycle.

The Johnny signing changed a great deal about the Laine situation. Prior to Johnny, Laine had a great argument to be the highest paid CBJ player at $9.6m. Now that Johnny who scored 115 points signed for $9.75m for 7 years, Laine doesn't have the same argument. I fully expect this deal to be signed for 3-6 years at $8.5-$9m. I could also see an $8m 2 year deal if things get goofy.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Or.. off of my keyboard? Anyway I agree lol

Reactions: OldGoaltender

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If Laine asking is between 9.0M to 9.5M (just speculating)

How much money does CBJ needs to move in order to facilitate the signing?
CBJ has 2.3M cap space left, so that would be 6.7 to 7.2M cap clearance with those numbers. Basically trading Nyqvist (5.5M) and sending 2-3 guys down.

Bemström is still unsigned as well.

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
CBJ has 2.3M cap space left, so that would be 6.7 to 7.2M cap clearance with those numbers. Basically trading Nyqvist (5.5M) and sending 2-3 guys down.

Wow that look likes a lot of work still.
Even if under a shade under 9M

Their GM needs to work some magic again to make it happen.

Thanks

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They can and will send guys to minors so they have more than that in cap space.

Like Jarmo said they need to clear something between 5-6M

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Wow that look likes a lot of work still.
Even if under a shade under 9M

Their GM needs to work some magic again to make it happen.

Thanks
Like @BB88 writes below, it's not as bad as it sounds as some guys will be sent to minors anyways. There are even scenarios without trades, but then Laine has to accept 8+ contract and the active roster will be really narrow.

Also who knows if Jenner is LTIR when the season starts and some other guy LTIR after that. Obviously that is not what is wanted or expected.

Reactions: PhilJets

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
In the current world situation, I wouldn't bet too much money on the cap going up. Of course moneywise these guys are all set up anyway, so they don't really have to worry about stability, but if trying to maximize earnings, there's no guarantee a deal 3 years from now will play better.
I feel that way as well. Especially through Covid a lot of folks got use to watching games on TV. Now nothing beats the stadium experience but throw in tickets/parking and a couple drinks and an average game cost me $200 ($157 for 2 tickets, $10 parking, $30-40 in drinks for 2 people) vs sitting at home costs me a 6 pack ($12).

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I feel that way as well. Especially through Covid a lot of folks got use to watching games on TV. Now nothing beats the stadium experience but throw in tickets/parking and a couple drinks and an average game cost me $200 ($157 for 2 tickets, $10 parking, $30-40 in drinks for 2 people) vs sitting at home costs me a 6 pack ($12).
I think cap is due to go up in 24-25 or 25-26. Because of the reason in bold. TV revenue has increased to record numbers this past season, I am sure ESPN is paying a pretty penny. The cap hasn't gone up recently in part because it was agreed to not go up as part of the restart agreement to help owner recoup losses. The Hockey Guy made a good video explaining it, I will see if I can find it later.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Laine asking is between 9.0M to 9.5M (just speculating)

How much money does CBJ needs to move in order to facilitate the signing?
Current Cap space of $2.3M does not adjust for the fact the CBJ are currently carrying 27 contracts against their Cap figure. You can only carry 23 so if we assume 4 players are sent to the AHL and those contracts are $1M or lower, you can add another $3.5M to the current available Cap. Still not enough and why the discussion has primarily focused on having to move a player like Nyquist. He would not only get us Cap compliant but also provide some Cap flexibility to move players up and down during the year.

So it's still very fluid and I'm sure other ways to get there but ultimately CBJ has closer to $5.6M below the Cap (this assumes Tarasov, Gaunce, Bayreuther and Meyer are sent down). That does not include re-signing Bemstrom as well and he is not waiver eligible so either traded or other moves will follow that as well. There are going to be players moved that will not make us tickled but the upside and roster improvements should still see a very positive outlook short and long term for this team.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Current Cap space of $2.3M does not adjust for the fact the CBJ are currently carrying 27 contracts against their Cap figure. You can only carry 23 so if we assume 4 players are sent to the AHL and those contracts are $1M or lower, you can add another $3.5M to the current available Cap. Still not enough and why the discussion has primarily focused on having to move a player like Nyquist. He would not only get us Cap compliant but also provide some Cap flexibility to move players up and down during the year.

So it's still very fluid and I'm sure other ways to get there but ultimately CBJ has closer to $5.6M below the Cap (this assumes Tarasov, Gaunce, Bayreuther and Meyer are sent down). That does not include re-signing Bemstrom as well and he is not waiver eligible so either traded or other moves will follow that as well. There are going to be players moved that will not make us tickled but the upside and roster improvements should still see a very positive outlook short and long term for this team.
Btw, Bemstrom can agree with QO too. 😎

Reactions: Xoggz22

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Was the last season hard to swallow, btw?
Yes, the team was still terrible and allowed an UNACCEPTABLE amount of goals.

LITERALLY, all you guys care about is how many points Laine puts up.

Offense isn’t the issue, regarding Laine or the CBJ team.

The CBJ team can lose a game 4-2, and Laine can score 2 goals , AND HE CAN STILL BE A PROBLEM. This is seen as IMPOSSIBLE to a good chunk of people, but, it is THE TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad