Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I mean, he may not be mentally coping with permanent unfortunate injuries. But it is only theory.
Regardless of what it is, I think struggling with something and then having your GM come out and say that he’s open to trading you away, would make most situations worse.

EDIT: after thinking about it, it might not have been Jarmo saying it, maybe Seravelli or someone. Regardless that is not something you want out there in the news world when/if a player is struggling.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Regardless of what it is, I think struggling with something and then having your GM come out and say that he’s open to trading you away, would make most situations worse.

EDIT: after thinking about it, it might not have been Jarmo saying it, maybe Seravelli or coming. Regardless that is not something you want out there in the news world when/if a player is struggling.
If inside Dreger is not, as we say in Slovakia, " jedna baba povedala", I think you're right.
---
Best of luck, Patrik!

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
People treat professional athletes like robots when all they are is people like us with outstanding athletic ability. Remember they have emotions and feelings like every one of us. Keep it classy HF. Best of luck Patrik.
There's truth to this, but it's possible to have more than one thought in your head at once.

Reactions: thebus88

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
And you tell me how the hell you know that this is true. You have no idea. So keep defending the defenseless.

The only way to stop extreme posts on this board that claim to be true is to challenge them head on. I will continue doing so.
Thank you for your massive commitment to the struggle. Would you prefer a medal or a monument? What exactly do you see me defending?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
\
People treat professional athletes like robots when all they are is people like us with outstanding athletic ability. Remember they have emotions and feelings like every one of us. Keep it classy HF. Best of luck Patrik.
Disclaimer: I do not know the reason for Laine's need for time away and am not speculating on it.

Adding to what Byrral said, professional athletes also have a greater need for painkillers than most people their age. Tons of people in this area have been hooked on them. So if it can happen to us, it can happen to them.

They have easier access to any recreational drug they want at any time, access to willing companions on the road, to all the finest spirits and to suspect business opportunities that we are not presented with. And then there's cameras everywhere and social media.

If anything, professional athletes, in some ways, have it harder than most of us. So I'll criticize their performance or how they represent the team/city, but I will not kick them when their personal life has them down. Just like I wouldn't for any of you.

This is not virtue signaling. You're all free to live your life however you want.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
\

Disclaimer: I do not know the reason for Laine's need for time away and am not speculating on it.

Adding to what Byrral said, professional athletes also have a greater need for painkillers than most people their age. Tons of people in this area have been hooked on them. So if it can happen to us, it can happen to them.

They have easier access to any recreational drug they want at any time, access to willing companions on the road, to all the finest spirits and to suspect business opportunities that we are not presented with. And then there's cameras everywhere and social media.

If anything, professional athletes, in some ways, have it harder than most of us. So I'll criticize their performance or how they represent the team/city, but I will not kick them when their personal life has them down. Just like I wouldn't for any of you.

This is not virtue signaling. You're all free to live your life however you want.
Substance abuse is usually the first thing that goes through my mind, but someone pointed out here that Laine doesn't drink, so I figure this is about mental health. Considering the injuries (including a concussion), the team's struggles, and the loss of his dad not all that long ago, that seems more likely to me.

But you're right -- we don't know.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The problem is that some of you continue to only care about INDIVIDUAL STATS.

It should be about the team WINNING GAMES.

While he would be A MUCH BETTER option than Laine for every conceivable reason you could think of, Matthew’s isn’t even the type of player (other than being a center) that the CBJ team needs, and he himself also wouldn’t turn the team back into a “winner”.

I’ve said the same thing about the possibility of the team drafting Bedard. SURE, he and that level of offensive player would help the team, but even he isn’t what the team NEEDS at this point.
Take it easy and read the room, Bus. Your opinion on Laine the player has been well stated. This is not the time to pile your crap on a human being, whether you like him or not, when he’s suffering from something that is severe enough to entering a health program. I hope that you have a more humane view and treat people that you interact with IRL with more compassion.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know what you're getting at. Prior to today, your last post in this thread was in October, and there's been very little substance in what you've posted today. I don't even know what your position is.
Oh my god. Why I am I wasting my time doing this.

1, What does me not posting since October have anything to do with this.
2. This started because YOU responded to my post which had nothing to do with you and neither did your response.

Posters aren't stupid on this board and neither are you. You and they know what the issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
And with that, I should probably spell out my own position.

I'm of the conclusion that bringing Laine here was a mistake. It WAS worth a try, given his level of talent. But it just isn't working out the way we need it to. He's had trouble staying healthy (which isn't necessarily his fault, but it is reality), he's making a ton of money, chemistry seems to be lacking, and now he's leaving for what I presume to be mental health reasons.

Now, I'm not a vindictive bastard with no soul. Of course, on a human level, I want to the guy to be alright. Especially if he's in a really dark place. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled AS A HOCKEY FAN to be frustrated with what's another pain-in-the-ass development involving my team.

I've been a fan of this team since before it existed. I've been waiting for a long time to have a good team that accomplishes something. And I'm Mr. Glass Three-Quarters-Full Guy when it comes to my teams. But they haven't delivered. They've been incredibly inept -- so comically crappy, so brutally bad, so persistently, painstakingly putrid -- that they've beaten all sympathy, benefit of doubt and patience out of me. Especially in comparison to the championship team a few blocks down the road. In a span of four years, the Columbus Crew went from a sparsely attended afterthought that played in a bare-bones stadium and was on its way out of town, to a destination event. They play in a phenomenal stadium, you CAN'T GET TICKETS (season tickets are actually sold out), die hard fans are having a hard time getting in there, and they've won two championships in four years. The Jackets are a perpetual embarrassment.

So yeah. When I saw this news, my first reaction was "oh shit, really? More of this?" I'm not apologizing to anyone for that. It's not like I'm advocating for Laine to shut up and play in order to salvage this shitshow. I do want him to take care of himself. But if you're going to try to tell me that I don't have the right to be frustrated as a fan of the club... put on some coffee; you're going to be up past your bedtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Oh my god. Why I am I wasting my time doing this.

1, What does me not posting since October have anything to do with this.
2. This started because YOU responded to my post which had nothing to do with you and neither did your response.

Posters aren't stupid on this board and neither are you. You and they know what the issue is.

I have been on this board since 2006 and never used the ignore button on ANYONE. ever.

Congratulations.
I'm pointing out the October thing because I went back and looked to see what these ridiculous opinions and crappy posters you were responding to were all about, and there wasn't much to see. I'm trying to figure out what your position is, because again, YOU'RE NOT SAYING ANYTHING.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You know, I hope that he will not be let down by those he trusted, but on the contrary, he will be helped by many from whom he would not have expected it. :)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So yeah. When I saw this news, my first reaction was "oh shit, really? More of this?" I'm not apologizing to anyone for that. It's not like I'm advocating for Laine to shut up and play in order to salvage this shitshow. I do want him to take care of himself. But if you're going to try to tell me that I don't have the right to be frustrated as a fan of the club... put on some coffee; you're going to be up past your bedtime.
I share your opinion of this franchise, Laine's contract extension and the three-time MLS Champion Columbus Crew. But I don't think anyone is suggesting you don't have a right to be as pissed off as the rest of us.

Reactions: Byrral

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Take it easy and read the room, Bus. Your opinion on Laine the player has been well stated. This is not the time to pile your crap on a human being, whether you like him or not, when he’s suffering from something that is severe enough to entering a health program. I hope that you have a more humane view and treat people that you interact with IRL with more compassion.

Here we go with this shit again as usual.

Reality is that most of you that have a problem with my opinions and delivery on things are complete hypocrites. You care more about perception of things, and most of you care more about famous celebrities or athletes, more than your neighbors and “everyday people”. What if everyone was allowed to enter programs whenever they have issues without any negative repercussions? Why aren’t they? Why are medical costs so much? Why do professional athletes get paid so much??

No, when looking at the big picture of society with REAL and EXTREME issues, I do not feel much sympathy for somebody who gets paid half a million dollars a month, ALONG with the ability to just check out of life into a “health program” out of the blue while continuing the pampered lifestyle. To be clear, this was such a huge problem and detrimental to him that nobody had any idea of it a day ago. Now it’s automatically just “poor Laine”, while people still know essentially nothing? People are dying out there. People are killing themselves. It’s safe to say THIS isn’t that, and REALITY is that Laine deserves SOME fault in whatever is happening, the same way all normal everyday humans deserve and receive for most everything else.

Anybody with ANY issues with what I’m posting should be able to easily go back and post any of the times they went out of their way and attacked the YEARS long “glass man” Ryan Murray jokes. Can’t pick and choose when or who deserves sympathy or mockery.

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I share your opinion of this franchise, Laine's contract extension and the three-time MLS Champion Columbus Crew. But I don't think anyone is suggesting you don't have a right to be as pissed off as the rest of us.
Well, I made a rather tame response to this...
...which seems to be an implication that anything other than unfettered sympathy is unacceptable.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Here we go with this shit again as usual.

Reality is that most of you that have a problem with my opinions and delivery on things are complete hypocrites. You care more about perception of things, and most of you care more about famous celebrities or athletes, more than your neighbors and “everyday people”. What if everyone was allowed to enter programs whenever they have issues without any negative repercussions? Why aren’t they? Why are medical costs so much? Why do professional athletes get paid so much??

No, when looking at the big picture of society with REAL and EXTREME issues, I do not feel much sympathy for somebody who gets paid half a million dollars a year, ALONG with the ability to just check out of life into a “health program” out of the blue while continuing the pampered lifestyle. To be clear, this was such a huge problem and detrimental to him that nobody had any idea of it a day ago. Now it’s automatically just “poor Laine”, while people still know essentially nothing? People are dying out there. People are killing themselves. It’s safe to say THIS isn’t that, and REALITY is that Laine deserves SOME fault in whatever is happening, the same way all normal everyday humans deserve and receive for most everything else.

Anybody with ANY issues with what I’m posting should be able to easily go back and post any of the times they went out of their way and attacked the YEARS long “glass man” Ryan Murray jokes. Can’t pick and choose when or who deserves sympathy or mockery.
Are you aware of the fact that ex NHL players have killed themselves because of struggles caused by the game?

I think that it’s great that there is less taboo around seeking help if/when a person needs it. The kind of attitude that you are showing with your posts will hopefully die eventually. Shouldn’t we all wish each other well being?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad