Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's my point: don't think either of them will become good at this, outside of maybe Slafkovksi who has shown quite a curb of progress last year on this.
Yes. Slaf seems to have learned. Dach and Laine have offensive smarts. They probably both still need to protect themselves better.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
They are going to start with Matheson on PP1 as well.

It's going to be Suzuki Caufield Slaf Newhook Matheson on PP1
Dach Laine Hutson Roy plus another on PP2.

They will switch looks up throughout the year as things work and don't work, but they are going to give the guys on PP1 to end the last year the chance to stay there and play themselves off/have others play their way on.
I have a strong feeling thats not true. Laine will be on PP1 quickly vs. Newhook.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It really is crazy
The day of the trade it was a no brainer to me like 'oh yeah! Obvious PP2 for sure, awesome'
But as the days go by that thought seems weirder and weirder to me lol
It's just hard to imagine they don't force the issue and put him PP1 anyway despite Caufield and Suzuki already being there too (they did it with Dach too) but then this pushes Dach out of PP1 which upsets me lol

But if they go Laine -Dach PP2 I'll be okay to see how it goes for the first few games
And only if Laine-Dach are PP2 do we have Newhook on PP1
But to me it feels more and more like they go Laine PP1 and Newhook goes PP2

But then Dach - Roy - Hutson will be there too! It could be worse

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Many send he was damaged and thus pls not get him
Washed up...

KH made a decent trade
I was adamantly against picking up Laine on the trade board because Habs fans were offering up 1st’s and one guy offered Ghule +???

I’m all in for this trade, great move.

As far as PP goes…..IMHO, we haven’t had a right shot like Laine in longer than I can remember. This guys release is beyond elite!

Yeah he’s on my PP #1.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
TB, TOR, BOS still no doubt better than us. Tampa still has a bunch of depth, we have plugs in our bottom 6 and mostly young unproven D. Toronto also better depth and more proven talent. Boston hasn't gotten much worse than before, they're still above us for sure.

Even with no injuries I would bet you that we're not a surefire playoff team, unless EVERYONE overperforms from last season.
Well, that's my bet.. (barring injury) Habs are a top 3 in Atlantic.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They are going to start with Matheson on PP1 as well.

It's going to be Suzuki Caufield Slaf Newhook Matheson on PP1
Dach Laine Hutson Roy plus another on PP2.

They will switch looks up throughout the year as things work and don't work, but they are going to give the guys on PP1 to end the last year the chance to stay there and play themselves off/have others play their way on.

I don't think things are set in stone as to how they'll start.

But what I project to be best may come into fruition later in the season or they may just not have chemistry.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It really is crazy
The day of the trade it was a no brainer to me like 'oh yeah! Obvious PP2 for sure, awesome'
It's just hard to imagine they don't force the issue and put him PP1 anyway despite Caufield and Suzuki already being there too (they did it with Dach too) but then this pushes Dach out of PP1 which upsets me lol

But if they go Laine -Dach PP2 I'll be okay to see how it goes for the first few games

I think they will have to split the PP 50/50. Both lines are so good all around. It's hard to remember the last time we had so much talent at both unit looking dangerous like that. It's simply insane. Probably 2007-2008?

Both lines in an ideal scenario could be our 1st PP unit It will have to be PP 1A and 1B. Put one or the other first it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
TB, TOR, BOS still no doubt better than us. Tampa still has a bunch of depth, we have plugs in our bottom 6 and mostly young unproven D. Toronto also better depth and more proven talent. Boston hasn't gotten much worse than before, they're still above us for sure.

Even with no injuries I would bet you that we're not a surefire playoff team, unless EVERYONE overperforms from last season.
Tampa.... didn't they lost Stamkos and Sergachev? Not so sure they are that great this year. They have aged quite a bit. As for Boston, they lost an important piece in goaltending and the burden will be heavier on Swayman.

I expect progression from our youngsters, plus Laine plus Dach..... wild card race I'm sure.

Reactions: Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Getting a grittier bottom 6 is the last step of the rebuild. Getting the high end was more important.

Plus we have Luke Tuch and Florian Xhekaj that can bring toughness in the bottom 6 in the next couple years
Tuch and Florian Xhekaj will bring much more than just toughness to the Canadiens' bottom six.

Tuch is a powerful skater who will bring size and a relentless / pursuit element to the Canadiens and help raise the team's median speed level. From the first time I watch Florian play last season I recognized that this young player's game and potential was miscast by many observers. His skating ability and offensive skill was severely underrated or misunderstood. One of the faster straight line skaters in the OHL, who showed enough offensive skill to be a mainstay on the Bulldogs' power play, I even suggested that Hockey Canada should have had Florian on their radar for Team Canada at last year's WJC. But then again, we all know how perceptive the great thinkers are at that moldering institution.

In my opinion, both Tuch and Florian are woefully underrated and under appreciated prospects. Both should make the team and assume roles that far exceed just providing 'toughness’. In fact, as Florian amply displayed at the recent development / prospect camp, if he can add a bit of quickness to his rapidly evolving game, he may well push for a top six role. He was a wonderful pick in the fourth round and will be one of the first call ups from Laval this coming season.

We are witnessing the rapid development of this long dormant franchise. With an intuitive management team that has already assembled a strong cohort of young, emerging talent, and who has already and masterfully acquired three first and four second round choices over the next two years, other teams should start fearing the growing power that will be the Montreal Canadiens.

Let's all sit back, watch and enjoy what should be a good ride.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I was adamantly against picking up Laine on the trade board because Habs fans were offering up 1st’s and one guy offered Ghule +???

I’m all in for this trade, great move.

As far as PP goes…..IMHO, we haven’t had a right shot like Laine in longer than I can remember. This guys release is beyond elite!

Yeah he’s on my PP #1.
Yes...
I agree
Wanted the deal but not at s cost of names of our young core

KH agreed as he must have waited till the deal was right 👍

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
There have been long time periods of goal scoring slumps of Laine. These goalless periods have however produced an enormous sample library of pings and bongs, you could compose a tune.

Sometimes it almost felt that Patrik's aim was systematically off that all important 1-2 inches, overall 100mph accuracy was there but calibration was just off that much, enough to make the critical difference on a score sheets and statistics.

That aim calibration error, combined with tendency to shoot only when a shot is 'high danger' and 'high quality' needlessly lowered his scoring statistics. With little less accuracy but with higher volume would've likely made better results. And, tens of great goal scoring changes were wasted only because Patrik choose to pass instead of shooting by himself. Usually it was not bad pass either that fumbled a scored goal.

Note that everyone of those pings and pongs were such that a goalie had no chance of save whatsoever, even if assuming that 2 inch correction to right direction... From all shots taken Patrik tend to shoot SOGs. Far above average. Accuracy is just that high, we talk about inches between a goal, and miss.

Patrik is as Sniper as they come, and still coaches, GMs, and whomnots have been trying to shoehorn everything else upon Laine...

Hell!!!, He can indeed act as emergency goalie, when ever need for that occurs.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The great part about Laine is he is only 1 year older than Suzuki and can be part of the future if things work out.

Yes. I easily see Laine become a longtime Habs. He have better health mental, better environnement, best coach he played so far with MSL, all things are there to see Laine put his best seasons with Habs.

He have no more time with "Fortnite", he just build a program mental with his wife.

I can easily a contract like 6 years, 7//7,5 per year after his 2 years. He will prove that he is a fantastic teammate.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Patrik is not slow skater, but his acceleration is relatively slow (due his size). Only because of that fact his defensive input is relatively low, especially so if he is required to defend 200ft in every possible scenarios. His natural place in all kind defensive situation is to be uppermost offensive player of a line, that of course doesn't mean defensive irresponsibility. It just happens to be that speed is easier to keep up for him, than summon in an interval of short notice.

Shot instead, it is deep in the muscle memory, and doesn't need particular summoning, regardless of speed and movement. Neuro-motorical requirements to successfully receive a pass and one time it from a perimeter, near maximum velocity, within 5x5 inches target isn't affected a much by his skating speed at the moment of shot.

Most frustrating thing about Patrik Laine from audience perspective (over all these years) is that:

"Shoot! Goddammit! Shoot!... No! Why you pass?!!! Come on! Shoot PRKL! shoot!... ugh, shoot! #@*F!" :D

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It really is crazy

I might be crazy but I wonder if experimenting with 5 forwards would be worthwhile even just as a look. Most of our forwards are all good puck movers and a handful are solid defensively. At least to the point I don't think they'd get caught flat footed having to play "defenseman"

Definitely an unlikely scenario but I'd be very curious about trying it.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Tampa and Boston both have veteran teams that know how to win and are used to it.

But both also have aging teams, and have been hemorrhaging draft picks since forever, to the point where their prospect pipeline aren't that great.

There's this thing about the King(s) on the hill, people get used to them and assume they'll be there forever. But their reputation always end up living longer than their true prowess. Older players aren't hungry like they used too, they won before and they don't necessarily have the same fire in them. They change, they have families now, they get complacent. And suddenly here's a younger team, one more than ready to steal the crown, more hungry, more desperate, more resolute.

You don't kill the King by staying home and waiting he dies of old age. If you want to become King, you need to take action, you need to assert yourself.

It could only take a bad season, a few bad injuries to key players, and both Boston and Tampa could see their window close and their team crumble. They'll hang up as much as they can, but this is a cyclical league, and they are on the wrong side of that cycle. And all it takes if for some younger team to plant the seed of doubt... It won't be easy, but it's not supposed to.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
There have been long time periods of goal scoring slumps of Laine. These goalless periods have however produced an enormous sample library of pings and bongs, you could compose a tune.

Sometimes it almost felt that Patrik's aim was systematically off that all important 1-2 inches, overall 100mph accuracy was there but calibration was just off that much, enough to make the critical difference on a score sheets and statistics.

That aim calibration error, combined with tendency to shoot only when a shot is 'high danger' and 'high quality' needlessly lowered his scoring statistics. With little less accuracy but with higher volume would've likely made better results. And, tens of great goal scoring changes were wasted only because Patrik choose to pass instead of shooting by himself. Usually it was not bad pass either that fumbled a scored goal.

Note that everyone of those pings and pongs were such that a goalie had no chance of save whatsoever, even if assuming that 2 inch correction to right direction... From all shots taken Patrik tend to shoot SOGs. Far above average. Accuracy is just that high, we talk about inches between a goal, and miss.

Patrik is as Sniper as they come, and still coaches, GMs, and whomnots have been trying to shoehorn everything else upon Laine...

Hell!!!, He can indeed act as emergency goalie, when ever need for that occurs.

Laine has an elite release, no denying that fact. He’ll correct his calibration with repetition and he’ll definitely receive the coaching to take chances.

Lots of people overlook his vision & playmaking skill’s, he is at least above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad