Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Suzuki
Laine Caufield Slaf
Hutson

3 right shots, 2 left shots.
It's possible, but Hutson is not being gift-wrapped all the PP1 opportunities off the bat
People have to stop doing that for now, realistically

It should probably look more like
CC - Nick - Newhook - Slaf - Matheson

Laine - Dach - Roy - Hutson - someone

They cpuld start like this, but it won't stay like this

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Was Caufield particularly good on PP1 last season.
Personally I didn't think so he was a target and plays broke down on his side more than anywhere else.
We have so many options there is absolutely no reason to stick with the stuff that didn't work.
Our numbers tell us it didn't work...

He's always been a powerplay one-time threat. They won't immediately kick him down to PP2 for a guy who may not be in their long term plans.

Reactions: rahad and Redux91

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I am managing my expectations, thinking we get a 25 goal Laine to finish this year. It's a big change for him. I'm more worried about what version of Dach we get this year, because it could make or break Laine to some extent. Laine will need a capable C , I'm excited to see him and Dach and if they gel. That's a big duo to handle could be a terrific line with little smurf Newhook looking up for his mates lol

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Then any player is too much of a risk. What nonsense. If Laine has a couple of good years and we can reach an agreement then they do it. No question.
It is NOT nonsense. A player like Norris that is never going to play more than 10 games without reinjring a shoulder. Players that get several different injuries (like Dach) especially on innocent plays are likely a hit away from injuring something else. Players that get concussed frequently. This must be a consideration when considering a long term deal. Now if Laine is relatively injury free in the next 2 years there is no reason not to give him a long term deal. Even if it goes bad it should be the only one the Habs have in 2 years.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's always been a powerplay one-time threat. They won't immediately kick him down to PP2 for a guy who may not be in their long term plans.
Like I said for me there were two problem areas on our PP last year both were on that left side.
Maybe they won't drop him immediately but if that trend continues...
I think Suzuki scored more goals than Caufield did from that spot using one timers.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Man
Now I'm reeeeaaally hoping we lock him up 6 more years just to upset you lol
d6fb25ba-1830-4bd3-97b8-f6316213a1bc_text.gif
Piss me off? Not going to piss me off 1%. For Canadiens have handed out a dozen huge bad contracts over the years I didn't agree with. Which never pissed me off. Dating back to Gainey regime and Samansov contract, up to Petry, Gallagher or Price contracts. I wanted to trade Price because he would return the farm. Plus 8 years and 29 most his prime years were gone and he had bad knee. I 99% knew that he wouldn't finish the contract. Or he'll be shell of himself if he did.

The only times I got pissed off at Habs were handling of Guy Lafleur at end of his career. Because they disrespect a star once his skills started to erode.

Also the trade of Patrick Roy I was pissed. I agreed with trading Roy but was nothing in package we got back. Why I was pissed. There was a rumor circulating in Montreal media at time Owen Nolan was in the deal. I was for that because he was a star. To give up a star you want a star back back.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Like I said for me there were two problem areas on our PP last year both were on that left side.
Maybe they won't drop him immediately but if that trend continues...
I think Suzuki scored more goals than Caufield did from that spot using one timers.

It started to come back later in the season, as his scoring came back from his shoulder.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It started to come back later in the season, as his scoring came back from his shoulder.
His scoring came back at the end of the season when he started penetrating areas he wasn't comfortable in earlier in the year.
I noticed when Caufield started engaging as opposed to reacting but he never used the one timer.
I'm wondering if it gave him some discomfort early on because it was horrible and he eventually stopped trying it altogether.
The one thing that will get him more goals this season is if he gets his timing back and is comfortable using that one-timer.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
As we all come down from the unbelievable high lol..

This kinda sorta IS a bit of a problem
Everybody's having a hard time fitting Dach back into PP1 now,

But I think the more glaring problem, as you said, is the Laine and CC both live in that same spot of a powerplay

Seeing as how CC been here first
I think it's fair to have CC stay PP1 to start
Something like:
CC - Suzuki - Slaf - Newhook - Matheson
And like WTK said
Have Laine and Dach PP2 which seems a little weird
But with Roy and Hutson helping round out the unit :
Laine - Dach - Roy - Hutson - lucky guy

It's definitely a far cry to having Gallagher Anderson Armia on the wasted PP2's
But i like that PP2 unit as a compromise to share the wealth

Amazingly
The real problem is when Demidov comes over :laugh:
lol sorry I mixed up left and right half wall with my question. I think Laine as left d on pp with cc down low left half wall might work. They can rotate. I think pp first shift must score. More and more teams run pp1 unit for 2 minutes.

Reactions: Marioesque

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They are going to start with Matheson on PP1 as well.

It's going to be Suzuki Caufield Slaf Newhook Matheson on PP1
Dach Laine Hutson Roy plus another on PP2.

They will switch looks up throughout the year as things work and don't work, but they are going to give the guys on PP1 to end the last year the chance to stay there and play themselves off/have others play their way on.
And who is going to be the main puck transporter on your proposed second power play unit? The first proposed unit has Matheson and Suzuki who both have the skating ability and skill to carry the puck and consistently gain possession in the offensive zone. The second proposed power play unit would see a lot of dump and chase.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They are going to start with Matheson on PP1 as well.

It's going to be Suzuki Caufield Slaf Newhook Matheson on PP1
Dach Laine Hutson Roy plus another on PP2.

They will switch looks up throughout the year as things work and don't work, but they are going to give the guys on PP1 to end the last year the chance to stay there and play themselves off/have others play their way on.

I wonder if they’ll just end up going with the top two lines for PP1 & PP2 (which should be pretty close to what you have anyways (with maybe Newhook on PP2 instead)). Then the lines wouldn’t be broken up due to the power play.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if they’ll just end up going with the top two lines for PP1 & PP2 (which should be pretty close to what you have anyways (with maybe Newhook on PP2 instead)). Then the lines wouldn’t be broken up due to the power play.

That would require putting a 3rd liner on PP1 and PP2 or using two defenseman on one or both units. I don't think that will happen, personally.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Hutson and Dach. Dach is the best zone entry player on the team.
Dach, who was not a great skater to start with, is coming off major knee surgery. Hutson, a rookie, doesn’t have the necessary end to end speed that will drive defenders off the blueline. Well at least not yet. That second power play unit needs a speed upgrade like Newhook or Guhle. But like most NHL teams, the drop off in efficiency between the proposed first and second power play units will be substantial.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And who is going to be the main puck transporter on your proposed second power play unit? The first proposed unit has Matheson and Suzuki who both have the skating ability and skill to carry the puck and consistently gain possession in the offensive zone. The second proposed power play unit would see a lot of dump and chase.
Have you just completely forgot who Kirby Dach is and what he looks like on the ice and what he brings and what his strengths are..?

You have absolutely NO recollection of his tremendous Zone entries.. none?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yeah only reason Newhook would be PP1 is if they are in fact going with Laine-Dach as a PP2 foundation
Which has 0 confirmation right now, purely speculation

In a perfect world I have Dach-Laine on PP1 but right now things are interesting and in the air

But people snooze on just how effective Newhook was at Bumper for that PP1 when he eventually replaced Monahan there
Obviously was keeping the seat warm for Dach
But like I just said
Things have gotten awfully interesting PP units wise

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
some posters were sending the CGY 1st and and a decent prospect for Laine, at this price it wasn’t worth it
Some 30% didn't want him at all and I was among them.
The thing is it wasn't evident early on that this would be a Monahan type acquisition.
I was one who put up the comparisons to that deal a day or two before we bit.
This after someone else mentioned Waddell would have to pay to move him.
I also never expected we'd get that level of transparency before hand.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I know the first line is pretty much set already, but I wonder if a line of Laine - Suzuki - Slaf could recreate the Laine - Aho - Puljujarvi 2016 magic.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I know the first line is pretty much set already, but I wonder if a line of Laine - Suzuki - Slaf could recreate the Laine - Aho - Puljujarvi 2016 magic.
I think you keep the CC-Suzuki-Slaf line. Caufield started to look more like himself towards the end. I think Laine/Dach/Newhook is a really interesting mix. You have the big playmaker and the two guys with a lethal shot, the speed from Dach/Newhook will generate lots of chances too.

Reactions: FLHabs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dach, who was not a great skater to start with, is coming off major knee surgery. Hutson, a rookie, doesn’t have the necessary end to end speed that will drive defenders off the blueline. Well at least not yet. That second power play unit needs a speed upgrade like Newhook or Guhle. But like most NHL teams, the drop off in efficiency between the proposed first and second power play units will be substantial.

Dach not a great skater?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Dach is a very good skater lol...

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I think you keep the CC-Suzuki-Slaf line. Caufield started to look more like himself towards the end. I think Laine/Dach/Newhook is a really interesting mix. You have the big playmaker and the two guys with a lethal shot, the speed from Dach/Newhook will generate lots of chances too.
Yea, a Laine and Dach duo on the second line sounds very good for sure and is/was my first option too. So many combinations possible.

I just got done watching some highlights from that 2016 WJC and was thinking to myself that Suzuki and Aho play a somewhat similar game although Aho might be a bit more dynamic. Slaf and Puljujarvi also have similar tools. Slaf uses them better and will continue to grow. I was just wondering if putting all 3 together could have a similar type of impact.

Once Demidov gets here, and if they sign Laine, the mix matching that will be able to be done in the top 6 will be very flexible. Even more so if Demidov can also play center at the NHL level. Just imagine a line of Laine - Demidov - Slaf hehe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad