Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
This is a great trade. Low risk, high reward. I laugh when I read about people worrying that Laine is going to negatively affect the culture of the team. If one player can ruin the culture of a team, then the team had a shit culture in the first place. I think he going to be fine, I can see him getting 35 goals if he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is a great trade. Low risk, high reward. I laugh when read about people worrying that Laine is going to negatively affect the culture of the team. If one player can ruin the culture of a team, then the team had a shit culture in the first place. I think he going to be fine, I can see him getting 35 goals if he can stay healthy.
Can't agree more. When Manny Ramirez got to Boston he had a bad rep. Many old school pople in baseball hated him. But Boston had such strong leadership it did not matter one bit. If Suzuki and Guhle are leaders we can build around Laine should not be a problem outside of being a disappointment on the ice for two years.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Can't agree more. When Manny Ramirez got to Boston he had a bad rep. Many old school pople in baseball hated him. But Boston had such strong leadership it did not matter one bit. If Suzuki and Guhle and leaders we can build around Laine should not be a problem outside of being a disappointment on the ice for two years.
Yes! We had enough "Old school" failure. It's time to try something else.

Reactions: ReHabs

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Read somewhere that Laine might have refuse to waive is NTC for another trade. I guessing this is also part of why the return was so low Laine wanted out of the CBJ but didn’t want to just end up in a similar situation. There were few team that could take is cap hit if he had all of them on is NTC it make sense that KH was able to get him cheap.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah only reason Newhook would be PP1 is if they are in fact going with Laine-Dach as a PP2 foundation
Which has 0 confirmation right now, purely speculation

In a perfect world I have Dach-Laine on PP1 but right now things are interesting and in the air

But people snooze on just how effective Newhook was at Bumper for that PP1 when he eventually replaced Monahan there
Obviously was keeping the seat warm for Dach
But like I just said
Things have gotten awfully interesting PP units wise

Getting that 2nd power play line going is really going to help Montreal. Last season the top power play line (Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Matheson, Monahan, and Newhook (after Monahan got traded)) scored 40 of Montreal’s 44 power play goals. In fact one of Suzuki, Caufield, or Slafkovsky was on the ice for 43 of the 44 power play goals.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tampa and Boston both have veteran teams that know how to win and are used to it.

But both also have aging teams, and have been hemorrhaging draft picks since forever, to the point where their prospect pipeline aren't that great.

There's this thing about the King(s) on the hill, people get used to them and assume they'll be there forever. But their reputation always end up living longer than their true prowess. Older players aren't hungry like they used too, they won before and they don't necessarily have the same fire in them. They change, they have families now, they get complacent. And suddenly here's a younger team, one more than ready to steal the crown, more hungry, more desperate, more resolute.

You don't kill the King by staying home and waiting he dies of old age. If you want to become King, you need to take action, you need to assert yourself.

It could only take a bad season, a few bad injuries to key players, and both Boston and Tampa could see their window close and their team crumble. They'll hang up as much as they can, but this is a cyclical league, and they are on the wrong side of that cycle. And all it takes if for some younger team to plant the seed of doubt... It won't be easy, but it's not supposed to.
They could very easily get off to horrendous starts for whatever reason as could a number of teams in the East.
Teams rarely recover from bad ones only St Louis and Edmonton have bucked that trend in recent years.
The Habs have the opportunity to catch out all of Toronto Ottawa and Boston early on this upcoming season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
THIS is what I was saying
this is a awesome trade.
no pressure for him, MSL will help big time.
only 2 year contract. and got a 2nd round
I love what Hughes has been doing with the extra 2nds:

2022 - Hutson
2023 - package for Newhook
2024 - package for Hage

Looking forward to seeing what he does with it in 2026.

Reactions: HabsQC and bopeep

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Anyone hear Aaron Portzline the CBJ beat reporter talk about how he doesn’t think Laine will change his ways? Some other interesting tidbits in this interview like how his teammates asked management to trade him
People have been talking online about it for a week and from what I've read, the whole thing is a Portzline's trade conspiracy theory because he's biased against Laine.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone hear Aaron Portzline the CBJ beat reporter talk about how he doesn’t think Laine will change his ways? Some other interesting tidbits in this interview like how his teammates asked management to trade him

I saw it, I don't think it should bother anyone though, because:

1) The trade still makes sense and could be very good for Montreal even if Laine doesn't change his ways.
2) Its not like Laine is some pariah around the NHL.
3) Montreal was well positioned to do their due diligence. Pascal Vincent (new Laval HC) has been around him his entire NHL career (and alleged by Portzline it was his benching of Laine that soured his relationship with Columbus for good), and Savard played with him during the bubble season in Columbus (which was when the teammates allegedly went to management) and would be connected to the Columbus guys.

I can't believe that Hughes would have traded for Laine without talking with Vincent or traded for him if he was a massive locker room issue.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People have been talking online about it for a week and from what I've read, the whole thing is a Portzline's trade conspiracy theory because he's biased against Laine.
Yeah I saw the article when it came out.
I was taken aback at just how leaky the front office would have to be for shit like that to get into Portzline's hands.
I can't imagine anything Suzuki has to say in confidence to our Brass would ever see the light of day.
I did believe the Vincent stuff as being plausible as well as the broken spirit when he was healthy scratched.
What a shitshow in Columbus as most fans already knew.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I hated the Halak's trade. I changed my mind. I begin to like the Halak's trade.

Look at this!

June 17th 2010: Halak traded to the Blues in exchange of Eller and Schultz

June 24th 2016: Eller traded to the Capital in exchange of 2nd round draft pick (2017 and 2018)

June 23th 2018: Canadiens trade the 2nd round draft pick of 2018 in exchange of 3rd round draft pick of 2018 and 5rd round draft pick of 2018

June 23th 2018: Canadiens draft Harris as the 3rd round draft pick of 2018

August 19th 2024: Canadiens traded Harris to the Blue Jackets in exchange of a 2nd round draft pick and Laine

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is a great trade. Low risk, high reward. I laugh when I read about people worrying that Laine is going to negatively affect the culture of the team. If one player can ruin the culture of a team, then the team had a shit culture in the first place. I think he going to be fine, I can see him getting 35 goals if he can stay healthy.
I know! People worrying about Laine ruining culture, picture him walking into the dressing room like this......

birdman-hand.gif

And the dressing room reacting like this....

giphy.gif

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I saw it, I don't think it should bother anyone though, because:

1) The trade still makes sense and could be very good for Montreal even if Laine doesn't change his ways.
2) Its not like Laine is some pariah around the NHL.
3) Montreal was well positioned to do their due diligence. Pascal Vincent (new Laval HC) has been around him his entire NHL career (and alleged by Portzline it was his benching of Laine that soured his relationship with Columbus for good), and Savard played with him during the bubble season in Columbus (which was when the teammates allegedly went to management) and would be connected to the Columbus guys.

I can't believe that Hughes would have traded for Laine without talking with Vincent or traded for him if he was a massive locker room issue.
Even if it was true management and staff got there pulse on the situation and when on to resign Laine and Merzlikins and trade everyone else…

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's obviously not good to hear his teammates wanted him traded but at the same time it kind of shows how much of a shitshow the whole situation in CLB was and honestly it really doesn't matter all that much, handling things badly when in the midst of a shitshow isn't really indicative of how someone will handle things in a more normal situation.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Read somewhere that Laine might have refuse to waive is NTC for another trade. I guessing this is also part of why the return was so low Laine wanted out of the CBJ but didn’t want to just end up in a similar situation. There were few team that could take is cap hit if he had all of them on is NTC it make sense that KH was able to get him cheap.
Montreal was only team interested. Big money, many issues. Obviously wasn't Hughes first choice. Zegras was, he's younger, cheaper and longer control. But we had give up major asset. I think Laine scores 40 this season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Tuch and Florian Xhekaj will bring much more than just toughness to the Canadiens' bottom six.

Tuch is a powerful skater who will bring size and a relentless / pursuit element to the Canadiens and help raise the team's median speed level. From the first time I watch Florian play last season I recognized that this young player's game and potential was miscast by many observers. His skating ability and offensive skill was severely underrated or misunderstood. One of the faster straight line skaters in the OHL, who showed enough offensive skill to be a mainstay on the Bulldogs' power play, I even suggested that Hockey Canada should have had Florian on their radar for Team Canada at last year's WJC. But then again, we all know how perceptive the great thinkers are at that moldering institution.

In my opinion, both Tuch and Florian are woefully underrated and under appreciated prospects. Both should make the team and assume roles that far exceed just providing 'toughness. In fact, as Florian amply displayed at the recent development / prospect camp, if he can add a bit of quickness to his rapidly evolving game, he may well push for a top six role. He was a wonderful pick in the fourth round and will be one of the first call ups from Laval this coming season.

We are witnessing the rapid development of this long dormant franchise. With an intuitive management team that has already assembled a strong cohort of young, emerging talent, and who has already and masterfully acquired three first and four second round choices over the next two years, other teams should start fearing the growing power that will be the Montreal Canadiens.

Let's all sit back, watch and enjoy what should be a good ride.

I think that most posters here would love to see Tuch and Xhekaj do well.

But, ...

Tuch will be playing his D+5 this year, and we have not seen much of Xhekaj other than him torching the OHL as a 6'4 20 year old. Meanwhile, the Habs have a young top 6 and their prospect pool has a lot of potential middle six forwards and will be acquiring more every year.

Tuch and Xhekaj can make it, but much like Mesar, Kidney, and Heineken, they need to perform in the AHL this year.

Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Montreal was only team interested. Big money, many issues. Obviously wasn't Hughes first choice. Zegras was, he's younger, cheaper and longer control. But we had give up major asset. I think Laine scores 40 this season.
Renaud Lavoie said this morning on BPM
sports, another team had a deal in place w CBJ pending Laine would waive his trade clause.

When he refused to, Laine was subsequently dealt to Mtl - which was not on his list as confirmed by Hughes at presser

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
sports, another team had a deal in place w CBJ pending Laine would waive his trade clause.

When he refused to, Laine was subsequently dealt to Mtl - which was not on his list as confirmed by Hughes at presser

I was curious and found the clip (he does mention it's only hearsay).

- YouTube [1:37:11]

I think it makes a lot of sense for a talented/confident Euro guy that loves hockey to want to go to Canada to reboot his career, even if the spotlight is there, rather then toil at it in Ohio.

Also some of the players that asked for him to be traded (Jones, Werenski) were QAnon believers, I wouldn't be shocked that the excentric Euro guy that doesn't drink didn't gel in that locker room (or the WPG one with faith leader Scheifele).

No guarantee it will work better in MTL but I can't wait for some games to be played so we can stop speculating !

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Waddell said on radio Montreal was only team interested. But don't know for sure. Lavoie not my top media member.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That was his 19 year old season, he only just turned 20 late June.
Florian was noticeable in the few games he played for Laval late last year and was probably the most impactful forward at Montreal’s recent development/prospect camp where he was competing against older and better competition.

I believe my prediction that Xhekaj will quickly pass other (most) of Montreal’s forward prospects will be proven accurate this year. With his combination of size, speed, skill and aggressiveness, once Hughes starts to re-cycle the team’s glut of overpaid, aging and under performing veterans, Florian Xhekaj will be one of the first call-ups. And if he is able to gain that missing element of quickness to his game, that call up will happen sooner than some imagine. And he won’t be going back down.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad