Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I remember watching Paré play for the Oceanic when I followed Lafrenière pre-draft, and he wasn't a dirty type of player. But he's not a particularly talented guy and needs to play a physical game to stick around in the pros.

This clash with Laine looked like a semi-accidental play. Not what I would call a premeditated dirty hit. Things happen extremely fast out there and Laine put himself in a bit of a vulnerable position. I think Paré was looking for a bit of contact but there's no way you expect a giant's knee to give way like that so awkwardly.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not seeing the Leafs player move to make that hit happen. Laine tried to skate though a stationary player with his head down.
It's #61 coming from the right with a speed that he didn't anticipate and that took away the space he thought he had. I think Laine had his eyes only on #56 and #25 when he picked his path.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Had a reel pop up on my Facebook a couple days ago with the headline "Habs fans LOVE Laine". Decided to watch it assuming he had scored an impressive goal or something. Instead it was more of an "end to end, stickhandle deke" kind of reel. Now I think the intent was more of a "Wow! Look at this wizardry and skill" type of thing but for me it struck me as exactly the opposite. Couldn't believe how slow it was and how bad the D looked. As opposed to "WOW" my first thought was "this guy is going to get killed if he plays like that". He would have gotten away with this but don't leave your leg dragging like that. Hopefully it's not a major tear.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I watched the game with Habs fans and thought it was dirty at the time. Rewatching it this morning with a clear head, it does look like an accident. But it still really sucks seeing a big name player taken out by someone who will never sniff the NHL and I get some of the over reaction.

But no one should be sending threats to the player and his family on social media or posting some of the other things I have seen shared around that if I posted here would get me in trouble.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Horrible situation for Laine, Montreal, and the fans. I don't think it was intentional, but that was clearly a knee by Pare - that's not a legal play. I don't like the victim blaming from some crazies here towards Laine. I also don't like all the flak Pare's been getting on social media - that's not right. It's just an awful, frustrating situation.

Reactions: Lshap and Hntz

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe Laine shouldn’t skate full speed towards a player and not make any effort to skate around a player.

It’s like he went full McDavid but forgot you also need to skate around a player

Marner knows how to avoid getting hit and has far greater skating ability than Laine.
Good point. Marner not only can avoid getting hit .....I don't think he's ever came into contact with another player has he......if they kept track im sure he would hold the record for bailing on pucks to avoid contact.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
not mad at Xhekaj but he is a coward. I don;t care if he fights everyone in the league jumping Pare from behind is cowardly. get in his face and start the fight like a man.

the main difference between Foligno and Perry was they squared up. now if Foligno jumped Perry from behind then you would be onto something.

I also don't think any of this was intentional by Pare, just completely bad luck, so I dont understand how what he did was cowardly, he transferred his weight, didn't stick his knee out. 100% an accident just like that knee to Tavares' head

really ironic considering Xhekaj attacked Pare from behind
That's hard to do when Pare directs all his energy towards running away.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I like Laine and was pretty excited to see how he'd do in Montreal, but he absolutely takes a lot of blame here. Who thinks it's a good idea to try to split 3 defenders with their skates 5 feet apart?
You have to think an NHLer (or at least a talented player) would lead with the body against Laine rushing in and not lead with the knee. This is 100% on Pare and no one else

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Lol at the Laine haters blaming him for getting hit in the knee. I get that it’s not intentional but come on guys.

He put himself in an extremely vulnerable position, as usual.

By attempting to do way too much on the ice while making bad decisions, at 1 of the most unimportant moments or situations during a game, as usual.

Hilarious that he didn’t even make it to the regular season for the Montreal faithful to turn on him. Or it’ll all just be delayed a bit, as some will now give Laine a pass for every single thing he does because of the injury, as they did after the Rasmus Andersson hit, where Laine quite literally caused the hit and injury, as he was staring down at the ice/puck shooting from his defensive zone for an open net with the game ending, with ZERO awareness of the defensive players or the concept of putting himself in a bad position, whether that is physically because of his skating posture on the ice, or situationally, whether that’s trying to score an unneeded full ice empty net goal, or split 3 defenders at nearly full speed at the blue line during the preseason, like an early 90s Mario….

Last edited:
Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The only reason he hasn't scored 50+ every season has been injuries. He scored the 44 goals with 16 minutes of ice time with a diminishing Brian Little as his center when he was healthy at 19.

Making decisions at the blue line like he did last night, it’s no wonder he can’t get through a full season without an injury

Reactions: thebus88

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
all the people who blame Laine, what is wrong with you?
What's "wrong" with them is they probably don't subscribe to woke culture way of thinking.

Pointing out that someone played a role in their outcome isn't "blaming" them. The other party still holds responsibility for their part. If you choose to put a blindfold on and try to cross a six lane highway and get hit, you remain the "victim" and the other party holds responsibility for their part. You may still want to make better decisions in life, such as not wearing a blindfold when crossing said highway. No matter how much you may want to wish it, you can't just stumble through life ignoring the world around you and flash your victim card from the mountain. If it was an obvious predatory move out of the blue, maybe you could.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Unfortunate play but at what point does it become the responsibility of the player to protect himself? He’s leaving that leg hanging out there like I did with my laundry this afternoon.

Who am I?

“Dipsy-do laddie-da! Watch the magic puck AHL’er, go where the magic puck on the stick goes while I glide past you with both my knees out past my shoulders, WATCH THE PUCK! THE PUCK!”

“Oh f***, he didn’t bite on the puck and now I skated my knee right into him, f*** I’m an idiot. No wonder why I can’t ever get through a full season. I’m SO DUMB!”

Reactions: thebus88

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don't doubt that his teammates love it, don't really care though honestly.

Reinbacher hurt one of our top prospects on a play in the rookie tournament, do you think Reaves should grab him, give him a second to decide to fight, and if he says no, he should toss him to the ice and start punching him?

I think it is a little extreme, but just curious if you have the same thought process.

It's not remotely the same and you know it. If you actually think it's the same situation we have nothing further to discuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad