Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Players have a responsibility to protect themselves. Laine left his leg hanging out in narnia and was gliding for so long. He decided to try and cut through two players without moving that leg, he decided to keep it planted.

Again, it's an unfortunate event and result but Laine wasn't doing himself any favours.
So we have posters putting the blame on Laine, got it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Now what Montreal needs to do is throw some good hip checks on marner matthews and if i knee gets injured so be it....just olf time bobby baun hockey.
I’m sure they’ll play tough hockey on opening night, actually looking forward to it. (I’ll take the Powerplays) But I also don’t think a star player will glide into the zone wide legged. Not putting it on Laine, but what a lazy zone entry

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What a dumpster fire of a thread.

Unfortunate what happened to Laine, but if you want to have a long productive career in the NHL, you really have to show more hockey sense than he has in his career. All tools, no toolbox player if I’ve ever seen one.

Pare is a career minor leaguer trying to make a statement. Only statement he made is that he’s a gutless wimp. You know the habs are coming after you. A few habs shoved him before Wifi got to him and he wouldn’t go. Just pick a partner that’s in your weight class and have a 15 second wrestling match and it’s done and you don’t look like a complete wimp who killed any slim chance of having an nhl career.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Now what Montreal needs to do is throw some good hip checks on marner matthews and if i knee gets injured so be it....just olf time bobby baun hockey.
The Habs have been too soft for too long to put up any retaliation. Slafkovsky tried to fight but it isn't a good look for him. The Habs are way to small to offer up much of a fight.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Unfortunate what happened to Laine, but if you want to have a long productive career in the NHL, you really have to show more hockey sense than he has in his career. All tools, no toolbox player if I’ve ever seen one.

Pare is a career minor leaguer trying to make a statement. Only statement he made is that he’s a gutless wimp. You know the habs are coming after you. A few habs shoved him before Wifi got to him and he wouldn’t go. Just pick a partner that’s in your weight class and have a 15 second wrestling match and it’s done and you don’t look like a complete wimp who killed any slim chance of having an nhl career.

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 7.45.40 AM.png

I agree that he probably should have stepped up and fought someone.

Reinbacher hurt a prospect we have who was pushing for the team this year on a crosscheck from behind into the boards (borderline play, don't think it was too dirty, just like this).

Should he have to answer to Reaves next time they play?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I remember watching Paré play for the Oceanic when I followed Lafrenière pre-draft, and he wasn't a dirty type of player. But he's not a particularly talented guy and needs to play a physical game to stick around in the pros.

This clash with Laine looked like a semi-accidental play. Not what I would call a premeditated dirty hit. Things happen extremely fast out there and Laine put himself in a bit of a vulnerable position. I think Paré was looking for a bit of contact but there's no way you expect a giant's knee to give way like that so awkwardly.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I'm not seeing the Leafs player move to make that hit happen. Laine tried to skate though a stationary player with his head down.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not seeing the Leafs player move to make that hit happen. Laine tried to skate though a stationary player with his head down.
It's #61 coming from the right with a speed that he didn't anticipate and that took away the space he thought he had. I think Laine had his eyes only on #56 and #25 when he picked his path.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Had a reel pop up on my Facebook a couple days ago with the headline "Habs fans LOVE Laine". Decided to watch it assuming he had scored an impressive goal or something. Instead it was more of an "end to end, stickhandle deke" kind of reel. Now I think the intent was more of a "Wow! Look at this wizardry and skill" type of thing but for me it struck me as exactly the opposite. Couldn't believe how slow it was and how bad the D looked. As opposed to "WOW" my first thought was "this guy is going to get killed if he plays like that". He would have gotten away with this but don't leave your leg dragging like that. Hopefully it's not a major tear.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Lol at the Laine haters blaming him for getting hit in the knee. I get that it’s not intentional but come on guys.
I like Laine and was pretty excited to see how he'd do in Montreal, but he absolutely takes a lot of blame here. Who thinks it's a good idea to try to split 3 defenders with their skates 5 feet apart?

Reactions: thebus88

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I watched the game with Habs fans and thought it was dirty at the time. Rewatching it this morning with a clear head, it does look like an accident. But it still really sucks seeing a big name player taken out by someone who will never sniff the NHL and I get some of the over reaction.

But no one should be sending threats to the player and his family on social media or posting some of the other things I have seen shared around that if I posted here would get me in trouble.

Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Horrible situation for Laine, Montreal, and the fans. I don't think it was intentional, but that was clearly a knee by Pare - that's not a legal play. I don't like the victim blaming from some crazies here towards Laine. I also don't like all the flak Pare's been getting on social media - that's not right. It's just an awful, frustrating situation.

Reactions: Hntz

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe Laine shouldn’t skate full speed towards a player and not make any effort to skate around a player.

It’s like he went full McDavid but forgot you also need to skate around a player

Marner knows how to avoid getting hit and has far greater skating ability than Laine.
Good point. Marner not only can avoid getting hit .....I don't think he's ever came into contact with another player has he......if they kept track im sure he would hold the record for bailing on pucks to avoid contact.

Jan 21, 2018
I hope Laine makes a full recovery, you never want to see someone get injured.

But this thread is hilarious.

Habs fans when their scrub injures Tavares and knocks him out of the playoffs: “injuries are part of the game!”

Habs fans when someone else’s scrub injures their player: “call the police, send him to jail!”

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
not mad at Xhekaj but he is a coward. I don;t care if he fights everyone in the league jumping Pare from behind is cowardly. get in his face and start the fight like a man.

the main difference between Foligno and Perry was they squared up. now if Foligno jumped Perry from behind then you would be onto something.

I also don't think any of this was intentional by Pare, just completely bad luck, so I dont understand how what he did was cowardly, he transferred his weight, didn't stick his knee out. 100% an accident just like that knee to Tavares' head

really ironic considering Xhekaj attacked Pare from behind
That's hard to do when Pare directs all his energy towards running away.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

The best post on this thread bar none.

Could end and close with this one boys.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I like Laine and was pretty excited to see how he'd do in Montreal, but he absolutely takes a lot of blame here. Who thinks it's a good idea to try to split 3 defenders with their skates 5 feet apart?
You have to think an NHLer (or at least a talented player) would lead with the body against Laine rushing in and not lead with the knee. This is 100% on Pare and no one else

Reactions: Hntz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad