Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
what do u mean? he was keeping his eyes on the play, Xhekaj could have challenged him and given him a second to respond but nope he jumped him from behind without dropping his gloves too. cowardly to say the least, I know Xhekaj fights alot and isnt actually a coward but that situation attacking him from behind was pretty cowardly.
Multiple guys tried to engage with him and he refused to even look at them. It seems pretty disingenuous to suggest he could've squared up while simultaneously "watching the play." He didn't want to face the consequences of his actions.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
This is the positioning just before contact. As I stated in my previous post, Pare does change his direction at the last split second, but he is in his position the whole time. He doesn’t stick out his leg outward to catch the player. Laine has his head down and skates into him. Just an unfortunate injury, and a bit of a freak occurrence. The kind of hate being sent to Pare is unwarranted. Unfortunately this stuff happens.

IMG_1476.png

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I hate this for Laine’s mental side more than physical. Which is wild considering how frigen shitty it could be for his knee.

officials dropped the ball here , they coulda got a guy seriously hurt (I know no one wants to look out for Pare) but this was all refs. I don’t really even blame AX emotion. Any team would love to see it

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Oh yeah... so dangerous that the guy can walk it off. How did the supposed lesser dangerous play go for Laine?

Your bias is showing. lol!
I mean... There's a reason strikes to the back of the head are banned in combat sports. It is, objectively, the more dangerous play.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I hate this for Laine’s mental side more than physical. Which is wild considering how frigen shitty it could be for his knee.

officials dropped the ball here , they coulda got a guy seriously hurt (I know no one wants to look out for Pare) but this was all refs. I don’t really even blame AJs emotion. Any team would love to see it
Never thought of it from that perspective, even tho I feel Laine left his leg hanging, it still sucks soo bad. I am always rooting for players to succeed who have fought their own issues.

I was really looking forward to a season with Laine on the Habs. Freaking sucks that he got such a nasty injury so early.

I'm no way, shape, or form was the injury the fault of the Leaf. Hockey is fast. Crap happens sometimes.
As a Leaf fan I hate it too, I was rooting for Laine to have a good season.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Xhekaj gives Pare several opportunities to defend himself and he just keeps skating away. Apparently, other Habs were shoving him. Basically, he didn't want to stand up after throwing a dirty hit. Easy solution there: don't make the hit

Like I said in my last post. Xhekaj kept his gloves on the whole time. So all those hits are much softer than they normally would be in a fight like this.

Appears Pare is simply a coward. He was also playing the rest of the game so clearly this "assault" was not so bad as some perceive.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
what do u mean? he was keeping his eyes on the play, Xhekaj could have challenged him and given him a second to respond but nope he jumped him from behind without dropping his gloves too. cowardly to say the least, I know Xhekaj fights alot and isnt actually a coward but that situation attacking him from behind was pretty cowardly.

Pare absolutely knew where he stood with the Habs after his actions. Playing naive like a coward rather than simply oblige one staged fight is on him.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Appears Pare is simply a coward. He was also playing the rest of the game so clearly this "assault" was not so bad as some perceive.
He should have dropped the gloves, even tho IMO its more on Laine than Pare, Pare should have still squared up. The whole narrative would have shifted to well it wasn't Pare's fault but at least he was man enough to answer the bell.

And kneeing is not banned?
Its not a knee, it was more shin on shin

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He should have dropped the gloves, even tho IMO its more on Laine than Pare, Pare should have still squared up. The whole narrative would have shifted to well it wasn't Pare's fault but at least he was man enough to answer the bell.

Its not a knee, it was more shin on shin

Especially wild as he likely could have handled it with a non fighter from Montreal even. Not a smart individual.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It's really disappointing seeing Habs fans issue death threats, threatening family members and bringing up the passing of Rodion Amirov and wishing it happen to other Leafs players. As a society we need to be better. Unfortunately, I think generally, humanity has gone too far down the line to rebound.
There's a couple of idiots on Twitter for sure, but most Habs fans have been sensible. There's a couple extremely vocal Habs fans on twitter mentioning Amirov and making fun of his death, wishing it upon Matthews and others, but they're being called out by the majority of the good Habs fans for being morons.

Sadly every fanbase will have the extreme bunch. Montreal is obviously a rival but we can't generalize them all based on the comments of a few, most are good people and we have some good banter on these boards.

I think majority of us understand it's a fast game and the hit happened quickly, I don't think it's intentional by any means. Just a horrible outcome, it looks very bad but hoping Laine isn't out for an extended time period.

Also I do understand Habs fans wanting a penalty, it absolutely should have been. And if Pare got called for it, very unlikely that Wifi pummels him like that. Doesn't justify repeatedly punching a guy in the back of the head, but how many injuries have we seen now because the refs don't call a clear penalty and players then police/govern whatever you wanna call it, the game themselves.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Multiple guys tried to engage with him and he refused to even look at them. It seems pretty disingenuous to suggest he could've squared up while simultaneously "watching the play." He didn't want to face the consequences of his actions.
Sadly this is the state of the modern nhl. Yes, there are some guys who understand they have to answer for their mistakes. (I don’t think this was intentional) But mostly the league has players who refuse to fight. It was nice to see Slafkovsky fight last night. I was not high on him but he seems to understand what it is to be a leader on his team in this league. When Laine went down all Habs players should have been looking to fight. Not necessarily against the perpetrator either. Make every player on that other club know that if one of their guys crossed the line they all have to answer. Pick a guy your size and drop the mitts. Sadly the league has slipped in that.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Lol at the Laine haters blaming him for getting hit in the knee. I get that it’s not intentional but come on guys.

No one hates Laine
You have to think an NHLer (or at least a talented player) would lead with the body against Laine rushing in and not lead with the knee. This is 100% on Pare and no one else

100% on Laine.

He’s the Pro NHLer who should know better than try to skate through players when he doesn’t have the skill or IQ to do so.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How many punches to the back of the head will it take for players to realize that they better keep their head up when skating through the o-zone with the puck? Especially when 2 players are closing in on them.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Just to set the record straight for people who apparently don't know any better, Steve Moore didn't refuse to answer the bell for his hit on Naslund and had already dropped the gloves with Matt Cooke in the first period of that infamous game. But Bertuzzi refused to honor the code and let that be the end of it, and in the third period, tried to get the much smaller Moore to drop the gloves a second time.

Yep, Bertuzzi - fake tough guy.

Reactions: Craig Button

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
This is the positioning just before contact. As I stated in my previous post, Pare does change his direction at the last split second, but he is in his position the whole time. He doesn’t stick out his leg outward to catch the player. Laine has his head down and skates into him. Just an unfortunate injury, and a bit of a freak occurrence. The kind of hate being sent to Pare is unwarranted. Unfortunately this stuff happens.

View attachment 910764

A large section of that fanbase have already made up their minds that this was intentional, and will take it to the grave…..or best until November. It’s almost like they knew the season was going to be a bust with or without Laine, and just needed something bad to happen to start chirping.

It was literally juts an accident, a bad one. Somehow Pare’s mother is apparently at fault according to what I’m seeing on Instagram though.

It’s the way she goes…..as one TPB resident would say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad