Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pare stuck his knee out to try to get a piece of him. Clear as day in the replay. Do I think it was to intentionally catch Laine's knee? No I do not. That type of hit is thankfully a rare occurrence in the NHL as most players have some respect for each other.

But that's what he did as an AHL nobody on a guy with a multi million dollar contract. He's gotta know the opponent's biggest ugliest mfer would be after him. Not a lot of sympathy for him in this situation, you have to understand the context of hockey no matter what level. Wifi will get a couple game suspension and it will be well earned but he was doing his job. If the Habs were a unified locker room someone should have gone after Pare immediately, and if NHL refs were competent the Leaf would have been thrown out of the game.

Is there some longstanding NHL rule I don't know about where these two teams only get to play each other or Ottawa in the preseason? With so many minor leaguers involved trying to get noticed it seems like a recipe for an eventual bloody game.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Well Habs didn't really pay anything for him but hopefully we didn't just watch the end of his career. Would have been exciting to see if he could turn it around this season but that's probably the end of that. Another Habs top 10 pick almost without a doubt now.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Blaming Laine for the AHL scrub clearly sticking out his knee is some next tier homerism.
I hate the leafs more than anything in Hockey.

That being said, it's a dumb play by Laine. The screen shots are misleading as Laine was the one skating into him.

Very clearly not a penalty.

WiFi is an idiot and should be suspended.

Reactions: Lahey

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Pare stuck his knee out to try to get a piece of him. Clear as day in the replay. Do I think it was to intentionally catch Laine's knee? No I do not. That type of hit is thankfully a rare occurrence in the NHL as most players have some respect for each other.

But that's what he did as an AHL nobody on a guy with a multi million dollar contract. He's gotta know the opponent's biggest ugliest mfer would be after him. Not a lot of sympathy for him in this situation, you have to understand the context of hockey no matter what level. Wifi will get a couple game suspension and it will be well earned but he was doing his job. If the Habs were a unified locker room someone should have gone after Pare immediately, and if NHL refs were competent the Leaf would have been thrown out of the game.

Is there some longstanding NHL rule I don't know about where these two teams only get to play each other or Ottawa in the preseason? With so many minor leaguers involved trying to get noticed it seems like a recipe for an eventual bloody game.
I think teams mostly just try and limit travel in pre season. Leafs have played home and homes against Ottawa and Montreal and have one with Detroit as well.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
and what bertuizzi did was on the worst cheap shots in the NHL history, he got off lucky, but reputation was ruined. Guy is a loser.

Wifi going after Pare is justified, pare just took it as well. Didn't even try to defend himself or his "actions" That is not something you want to see from someone trying to make the NHL.
Bullshit.

Moore's head shot on Nasland was orders of magnitude worse than Pare's play. Wasn't even a penalty and shouldn't have been.

If going after Pare was justified then so was Bertuzzi going after Moore. Of course that's idiotic and neither were "Justified".

The only difference between WiFi and Bertuzzi is that one was successfull in their chickenshit attack on another player.

I love fighting, hitting and physicality but punching a defenseless guy in the back of the head is just cold blooded assault.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
That's like 5 to 7 weeks in a best-case scenario, worst case is pretty much the whole regular season. He seemed so excited to play hockey again and then this happens.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
NGL that made me laugh.

“Class” gets so overused on here. If people want class, go watch the opera.

And knowing the type of guy Pare is, he’s probably having a big laugh reading the comments and sharing it with his friends.

The only thing that concerns me is opening night now, because Montreal is definitely going to goon it up.
The Habs are soft as shit, they can't goon it up. About the only team in the NHL softer than the Leafs.

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019
Sucks for the habs. At the same time, anyone that actually expected them to have a good season was completely delusional

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Frigen stinks for Laine. Catches a lotta flack, but I really wanted to see this guy turn it around - even on the habs.

The jawing on the dudes insta is wild; but I also get the frustration from the fans.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I like the Habs but getting Laine was not good. He's not a smart player.
He just deeps and doodling past the blue line and the Dman is covering his ice, not trying to Trouba him.
It's preseason, dump the puck in and work the system. Instead of trying to go solo with 4 Leafs ahead of you.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
the whole glass house thing, I seem to remember the whole Chara thing and Hab fans actually calling the cops.
The good old days of the Montreal-Boston rivalry.

I like the Habs but getting Laine was not good. He's not a smart player.
He just deeps and doodling past the blue line and the Dman is covering his ice, not trying to Trouba him.
It's preseason, dump the puck in and work the system. Instead of trying to go solo with 4 Leafs ahead of you.
He forced himself into a very small area. Not "blaming" him but it increased his chances of a bad outcome unnecessarily.

Reactions: Naych_PHX

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Laine put himself into a tight area where he couldn't move to his right with more ease because of the other Leaf. It wasn't remotely a dirty hit. You know me from the B's board, I hate the Leafs and not Montreal. The hyperbole on the hit is over the top.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Laine put himself into a tight area where he couldn't move to his right with more ease because of the other Leaf. It wasn't remotely a dirty hit. You know me from the B's board, I hate the Leafs and not Montreal. The hyperbole on the hit is over the top.
The hyperbole on everything the Leafs do is over the top. It keeps the world going round and round.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
He bends his knee and plants to go for a hit, Laine is lined up for a leg injury the entire time what does he think will happen when he runs into the defender with his leg extended out in front of the guy. He actually coasted longer than what is shown in this clip, whether you think the defender made a dirty play or not what Laine did was ridiculous.
View attachment 910623
Yeah this is very odd. I think Laine made a mistake here.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Are some people really trying to put the blame on Laine here what the f***?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Is it normal to glide towards a player who's going to hit you? Looks to me like Pare didn't realize Laines brain disconnected and was expecting a quick cut past him.

Reactions: HofT

HofT

Sep 4, 2008

This is a rare occurrence because the problem was Laine not moving his feet at all when he had the puck. Laine has always been a terrible skater and his stance was way too wide while attempting to go through 2 players. It's more his fault than anyone else. There's a reason why McDavid can do this and Laine clearly can't.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Players have a responsibility to protect themselves. Laine left his leg hanging out in narnia and was gliding for so long. He decided to try and cut through two players without moving that leg, he decided to keep it planted.

Again, it's an unfortunate event and result but Laine wasn't doing himself any favours.

Reactions: HofT

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A clumsy play by both sides, Laine put himself in harm's way and the defending player went knee-on-knee without obvious malice. These things happen in a contact sport, but you need to minimise the odds if you want to play a hundred games in a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad