Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I like the Habs but getting Laine was not good. He's not a smart player.
He just deeps and doodling past the blue line and the Dman is covering his ice, not trying to Trouba him.
It's preseason, dump the puck in and work the system. Instead of trying to go solo with 4 Leafs ahead of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
the whole glass house thing, I seem to remember the whole Chara thing and Hab fans actually calling the cops.
The good old days of the Montreal-Boston rivalry.

I like the Habs but getting Laine was not good. He's not a smart player.
He just deeps and doodling past the blue line and the Dman is covering his ice, not trying to Trouba him.
It's preseason, dump the puck in and work the system. Instead of trying to go solo with 4 Leafs ahead of you.
He forced himself into a very small area. Not "blaming" him but it increased his chances of a bad outcome unnecessarily.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Pare stuck his knee out to try to get a piece of him. Clear as day in the replay. Do I think it was to intentionally catch Laine's knee? No I do not. That type of hit is thankfully a rare occurrence in the NHL as most players have some respect for each other.

But that's what he did as an AHL nobody on a guy with a multi million dollar contract. He's gotta know the opponent's biggest ugliest mfer would be after him. Not a lot of sympathy for him in this situation, you have to understand the context of hockey no matter what level. Wifi will get a couple game suspension and it will be well earned but he was doing his job. If the Habs were a unified locker room someone should have gone after Pare immediately, and if NHL refs were competent the Leaf would have been thrown out of the game.

Is there some longstanding NHL rule I don't know about where these two teams only get to play each other or Ottawa in the preseason? With so many minor leaguers involved trying to get noticed it seems like a recipe for an eventual bloody game.
Laine put himself into a tight area where he couldn't move to his right with more ease because of the other Leaf. It wasn't remotely a dirty hit. You know me from the B's board, I hate the Leafs and not Montreal. The hyperbole on the hit is over the top.

Reactions: Bejeezus and HofT

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Laine put himself into a tight area where he couldn't move to his right with more ease because of the other Leaf. It wasn't remotely a dirty hit. You know me from the B's board, I hate the Leafs and not Montreal. The hyperbole on the hit is over the top.
The hyperbole on everything the Leafs do is over the top. It keeps the world going round and round.

Reactions: HofT

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
He bends his knee and plants to go for a hit, Laine is lined up for a leg injury the entire time what does he think will happen when he runs into the defender with his leg extended out in front of the guy. He actually coasted longer than what is shown in this clip, whether you think the defender made a dirty play or not what Laine did was ridiculous.
View attachment 910623
Yeah this is very odd. I think Laine made a mistake here.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Are some people really trying to put the blame on Laine here what the f***?

Is it normal to glide towards a player who's going to hit you? Looks to me like Pare didn't realize Laines brain disconnected and was expecting a quick cut past him.

Reactions: HofT

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Pare stuck his knee out to try to get a piece of him. Clear as day in the replay. Do I think it was to intentionally catch Laine's knee? No I do not. That type of hit is thankfully a rare occurrence in the NHL as most players have some respect for each other.

But that's what he did as an AHL nobody on a guy with a multi million dollar contract. He's gotta know the opponent's biggest ugliest mfer would be after him. Not a lot of sympathy for him in this situation, you have to understand the context of hockey no matter what level. Wifi will get a couple game suspension and it will be well earned but he was doing his job. If the Habs were a unified locker room someone should have gone after Pare immediately, and if NHL refs were competent the Leaf would have been thrown out of the game.

Is there some longstanding NHL rule I don't know about where these two teams only get to play each other or Ottawa in the preseason? With so many minor leaguers involved trying to get noticed it seems like a recipe for an eventual bloody game.
This is a rare occurrence because the problem was Laine not moving his feet at all when he had the puck. Laine has always been a terrible skater and his stance was way too wide while attempting to go through 2 players. It's more his fault than anyone else. There's a reason why McDavid can do this and Laine clearly can't.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Are some people really trying to put the blame on Laine here what the f***?
Players have a responsibility to protect themselves. Laine left his leg hanging out in narnia and was gliding for so long. He decided to try and cut through two players without moving that leg, he decided to keep it planted.

Again, it's an unfortunate event and result but Laine wasn't doing himself any favours.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
2oa pick
traded for 3oa pick
2 x 30 g seasons
1x 40 g season
1xppg season
8.5 m salary

Its just dumb right now to debate star/not a star. Certainly has played like a star in the past.
I dont think what u posted above is a strong argument for Laine being a star. he's not a terrible player but he's prob slotting just under star territory imo atleast

hope he recovers quickly. my buddy who had something just like this happen told me it took him about 18months to recover from it properly.
will help Habs draft pick but tough luck

Smash

Dec 19, 2006
That’s on Laine as much as it is Pare. Shitty out come nonetheless.

It’s funny how predictable reactions are here, especially when receiving end is well-liked player or vice versa.

The minds only equal to gas station Madlibs.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Any Leafs fan mad at Xhekaj should ask themselves how they felt about Corry Perry having to answer the bell after Tavares bounced his face off Perry's knee. If you thought Perry should have to fight when he was completely innocent, then you better admit that Pare owes the same debt after sticking his knee out on Laine. Xhekaj took it easy on him, because he realized what a cowardly piece of trash he was dealing with.
not mad at Xhekaj but he is a coward. I don;t care if he fights everyone in the league jumping Pare from behind is cowardly. get in his face and start the fight like a man.

the main difference between Foligno and Perry was they squared up. now if Foligno jumped Perry from behind then you would be onto something.

I also don't think any of this was intentional by Pare, just completely bad luck, so I dont understand how what he did was cowardly, he transferred his weight, didn't stick his knee out. 100% an accident just like that knee to Tavares' head

Right, because Perry answered the bell, even though he knew he bore no responsibility. It's called honor, something clearly not found in the visitor's dressing room tonight.
really ironic considering Xhekaj attacked Pare from behind

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you say so. I doubt Xhekaj gets a suspension. You better believe his teamay4s love what he did. All Pare had to do was sack up and face the music for a questionable play. But he had to be a coward and refuse to step up

I don't doubt that his teammates love it, don't really care though honestly.

Reinbacher hurt one of our top prospects on a play in the rookie tournament, do you think Reaves should grab him, give him a second to decide to fight, and if he says no, he should toss him to the ice and start punching him?

I think it is a little extreme, but just curious if you have the same thought process.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Players have a responsibility to protect themselves. Laine left his leg hanging out in narnia and was gliding for so long. He decided to try and cut through two players without moving that leg, he decided to keep it planted.

Again, it's an unfortunate event and result but Laine wasn't doing himself any favours.
So we have posters putting the blame on Laine, got it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Now what Montreal needs to do is throw some good hip checks on marner matthews and if i knee gets injured so be it....just olf time bobby baun hockey.
I’m sure they’ll play tough hockey on opening night, actually looking forward to it. (I’ll take the Powerplays) But I also don’t think a star player will glide into the zone wide legged. Not putting it on Laine, but what a lazy zone entry

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What a dumpster fire of a thread.

Unfortunate what happened to Laine, but if you want to have a long productive career in the NHL, you really have to show more hockey sense than he has in his career. All tools, no toolbox player if I’ve ever seen one.

Pare is a career minor leaguer trying to make a statement. Only statement he made is that he’s a gutless wimp. You know the habs are coming after you. A few habs shoved him before Wifi got to him and he wouldn’t go. Just pick a partner that’s in your weight class and have a 15 second wrestling match and it’s done and you don’t look like a complete wimp who killed any slim chance of having an nhl career.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What a dumpster fire of a thread.

Unfortunate what happened to Laine, but if you want to have a long productive career in the NHL, you really have to show more hockey sense than he has in his career. All tools, no toolbox player if I’ve ever seen one.

Pare is a career minor leaguer trying to make a statement. Only statement he made is that he’s a gutless wimp. You know the habs are coming after you. A few habs shoved him before Wifi got to him and he wouldn’t go. Just pick a partner that’s in your weight class and have a 15 second wrestling match and it’s done and you don’t look like a complete wimp who killed any slim chance of having an nhl career.

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 7.45.40 AM.png

I agree that he probably should have stepped up and fought someone.

Reinbacher hurt a prospect we have who was pushing for the team this year on a crosscheck from behind into the boards (borderline play, don't think it was too dirty, just like this).

Should he have to answer to Reaves next time they play?

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad