CFHF Fantasy League Part IX- Offseason Ahoy!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think we should wait until the draft is completed. That still gives us roughly 3 months to complete our main draft (in theory we should be able to do 2-3 rounds a week). Transactions will have massive impacts on where guys get selected!

Anglesmith, why don't we impose a rule that a GM can only hold a prospects rights for 4 years, if the minimum game requirements are not met, and at that time he needs to be made a keeper or cut loose?

I'm not sure if that's the way to go, really. If I picked a prospect who breaks into the NHL at age 23, I'd be pretty miffed if I lost him already due to his development curve.

EDIT: Think Gustav Nyquist. Or really any goalie.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd be all for a prospect cap limit rather than expiring rights. 5 or 10?

Actually, the thing I was thinking might be the most appropriate would be something like instead of capping the total number of prospects, we cap the number of prospects you can retain from one season to the next. Essentially, we could make "keeper prospects" a thing. That way you can stock up as many prospect picks as you want in a given draft and then have a year to organize and move your assets as required. I may be over-thinking this, though.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Actually, the thing I was thinking might be the most appropriate would be something like instead of capping the total number of prospects, we cap the number of prospects you can retain from one season to the next. Essentially, we could make "keeper prospects" a thing. That way you can stock up as many prospect picks as you want in a given draft and then have a year to organize and move your assets as required. I may be over-thinking this, though.

Sounds about right. I believe most keeper leagues actually have a limit on howmany "prospects" you can keep from one year to another.

Its the same as having a cap though really.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sounds about right. I believe most keeper leagues actually have a limit on howmany "prospects" you can keep from one year to another.

Its the same as having a cap though really.

Not exactly, for the reason I tried to state above. If you look at a team like OP8, they have 6 picks in this year's prospect draft. If it was a straight cap, then this wouldn't really be practical, as assuming that OP8 already has a supply of prospects going in, the latter picks are at best trading one prospect for another, and at worst simply a complete waste. Before being finished drafting, the GM would already have run out of spots. That of course reduces flexibility in terms of management of prospects and assets in general. Everyone would constantly seek to even out the number of prospect picks in the same fashion that they do main draft picks, because having extra is pointless.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, if you have instead a prospect keeper deadline and you load up on prospects in a particular draft, you get a full year to manage your prospects before having to cut any. I feel like it's a better and more flexible system.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What's so wrong about loading up on prospects? I feel this takes away some strategy in the game. If you really wanted to reduce the number of prospects, just do a two round draft instead of three rounds.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What's so wrong about loading up on prospects? I feel this takes away some strategy in the game. If you really wanted to reduce the number of prospects, just do a two round draft instead of three rounds.

I just see it as becoming a bigger and bigger task to manage the prospect list, really. I can see us in a few years having a significant chunk of the list taken up by Nemisz/Howse type guys and I want to add a framework by which such prospects can be removed from the league and by which there can be a guaranteed limit to the total number of prospects to prevent linear year-by-year growth of the list.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
sjUnaeX.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
nogger, I'm proposing a system where you wouldn't lose anyone you draft. Only prospects you have coming into the off-season. And any changes I want to make are not going to come into effect until next off-season anyway.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think we should dramatically be changing systems that people have build their teams around, with essentially no notice.

I agree. I don't want to do anything sudden or without notice. Definitely never want to make changes which will impact people unfairly. Might even apply some "grandfathering" if we do decide to make a change.

But I do think something needs to be done. Otherwise the number of prospects is just going to keep increasing until it's unmanageable. Right now, we add 54 prospects to the pool every season. This past season, about half a dozen actually graduated. After this draft finishes, the league will be at about 149 prospect (I just tried to count, but the number could be off by +/- 2). In three drafts since the beginning of the league, 163 prospects should have been drafted in total.

I will say, though, that there is a chance that the problem smooths itself out. Theoretically, as the originally drafted prospects continue to develop, they will start graduating at a higher rate. The only thing I'm worried about is that prospects who never play an NHL game will remain cluttering up the list, and there is no incentive currently for GMs to ever give up on them and cut them from the system. Those are really the only players I am wanting to get rid of, as players who never play in the NHL are guaranteed to exist, and will keep making the prospect list grow larger.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In other news, Intangibles held a press conference today, introducing their three newest additions at the prospect level and explaining that they are very happy with the players and what they bring to the organization. In William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius and Lucas Wallmark, we feel like we've got two fine European guys who can develop their game against men in Europe and quickly adapt it to the NHL once ready. Thatcher Demko is a bright light between the pipes, and should be able to bring some elite ability to a crucial area of this league in a few seasons.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree. I don't want to do anything sudden or without notice. Definitely never want to make changes which will impact people unfairly. Might even apply some "grandfathering" if we do decide to make a change.

But I do think something needs to be done. Otherwise the number of prospects is just going to keep increasing until it's unmanageable. Right now, we add 54 prospects to the pool every season. This past season, about half a dozen actually graduated. After this draft finishes, the league will be at about 149 prospect (I just tried to count, but the number could be off by +/- 2). In three drafts since the beginning of the league, 163 prospects should have been drafted in total.

I will say, though, that there is a chance that the problem smooths itself out. Theoretically, as the originally drafted prospects continue to develop, they will start graduating at a higher rate. The only thing I'm worried about is that prospects who never play an NHL game will remain cluttering up the list, and there is no incentive currently for GMs to ever give up on them and cut them from the system. Those are really the only players I am wanting to get rid of, as players who never play in the NHL are guaranteed to exist, and will keep making the prospect list grow larger.

Anglesmith, those are all good points. Prospects that will likely never see the light of day in the NHL after several years of development are kind of worthless anyways.

I'm also pretty pumped that I added Pastrnak and Vanier. After reading about these guys, I think they are both quality players that I added to my team.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Could possibly move both 3rds in prospect draft and a prospect for a decent/good pick in the Main draft.

Prospects I have are Honka, Rask, Domi, Erne, Jarry, Carrier, Nelson, and Kujawinski.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

If the concern is over the size of the prospect list, maybe the solution is to decrease the number of rounds instead?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
DBU said:
My reaction when tfong already took Spencer Watson in round 2 :(

And here I thought nobody was paying attention to him haha. The kid has good upside but he is overshadowed by Bennett and McKeown.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I know, I thought he'd make a good third round pick. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking that!

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Why don't we draft all eligible prospects and not just one this year. The problem is with most prospects coming from this year is that they won't be in the NHL anytime soon and once they see the 100 game mark it's hard to justify taking them over established keepers.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Why don't we draft all eligible prospects and not just one this year. The problem is with most prospects coming from this year is that they won't be in the NHL anytime soon and once they see the 100 game mark it's hard to justify taking them over established keepers.

Then you would have to track which prospects were taken in the main draft or used on someone's roster thru the season. It's just more work.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
[QUOTEnityIggy;84698849]I didn't know prospects stayed prospects forever :sarcasm:[/QUOTE]

They would if they never played 100 games haha. Imagine holding some guy till his 40s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad