CFHF Fantasy League Part IX- Offseason Ahoy!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
They would if they never played 100 games haha. Imagine holding some guy till his 40s

I do that on NHL14 all the time, if a prospect I really like busts, I will sign him to 2-way deals until he retires in hopes that he will get his big break :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Hahah just stringing them along....

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
As for the prospects thing, we will wait until next off-season and see if the stats are actually true:

But I do think something needs to be done. Otherwise the number of prospects is just going to keep increasing until it's unmanageable. Right now, we add 54 prospects to the pool every season. This past season, about half a dozen actually graduated. After this draft finishes, the league will be at about 149 prospect (I just tried to count, but the number could be off by +/- 2). In three drafts since the beginning of the league, 163 prospects should have been drafted in total.

I will say, though, that there is a chance that the problem smooths itself out. Theoretically, as the originally drafted prospects continue to develop, they will start graduating at a higher rate. The only thing I'm worried about is that prospects who never play an NHL game will remain cluttering up the list, and there is no incentive currently for GMs to ever give up on them and cut them from the system. Those are really the only players I am wanting to get rid of, as players who never play in the NHL are guaranteed to exist, and will keep making the prospect list grow larger.

This league has been in action for around three years, that's too small of a sample size to conclude anything yet, imo.

Edit: Also, the regular draft will be staying as is, because some managers want to keep it. Personally, I think July 1st is the best time to start. Besides, last season we started on June 26th (I believe) and we got done by the end of August IIRC.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As for the prospects thing, we will wait until next off-season and see if the stats are actually true:

This league has been in action for around three years, that's too small of a sample size to conclude anything yet, imo.

Edit: Also, the regular draft will be staying as is, because some managers want to keep it. Personally, I think July 1st is the best time to start. Besides, last season we started on June 26th (I believe) and we got done by the end of August IIRC.

I'm okay waiting until next off-season, but my statement that the list will continue to grow without stopping is frankly incontrovertible. For the number of prospects to remain reasonably constant over time, the number of prospects leaving the list each year needs to be on average the same as the number of prospects added each year. As it stands, that would only be possible if every single prospect eventually graduates. Otherwise, you just accumulate busts.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'm okay waiting until next off-season, but my statement that the list will continue to grow without stopping is frankly incontrovertible. For the number of prospects to remain reasonably constant over time, the number of prospects leaving the list each year needs to be on average the same as the number of prospects added each year. As it stands, that would only be possible if every single prospect eventually graduates. Otherwise, you just accumulate busts.

Well, does the NHL prospect pool continue to grow, or does it stay stationary?

If we could somehow create a somewhat similar 'system'/rule like they do, then I don't think we really have a problem.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, does the NHL prospect pool continue to grow, or does it stay stationary?

If we could somehow create a somewhat similar 'system'/rule like they do, then I don't think we really have a problem.

It stays the same due to the fact that NHL teams have limited contracts and can't keep unsigned prospects forever. As I've stated, I don't like the thought of forcing GMs to drop long-term prospects (NHL teams aren't forced to due to being able to sign them and put them in developmental leagues), so maybe if we just extended the cut-off point to something like 25-27, it would be fine. It would let our list grow for a few years longer, but would stop the growth eventually.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It stays the same due to the fact that NHL teams have limited contracts and can't keep unsigned prospects forever. As I've stated, I don't like the thought of forcing GMs to drop long-term prospects (NHL teams aren't forced to due to being able to sign them and put them in developmental leagues), so maybe if we just extended the cut-off point to something like 25-27, it would be fine. It would let our list grow for a few years longer, but would stop the growth eventually.

Yeah, and by 25-27, you're talking about age, correct?

We could always make it 24/23/whatever age would be best.

I like this idea better than a cap. My opinion of course.

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
I don't think we're going to be able to come up with a rule here that will please everyone. It comes down to how much an individual values prospects. For me, I've now got 12 prospects after this draft and it's already starting to feel like too many. I don't have the time to follow and analyse prospects like I used to when I was younger and therefore don't regard them as highly as others.

From that point of view, I agree 100% with Anglesmith that there needs to be a limit. For someone giving up their own time to keep the records up to date for the whole league, it's a daunting thought that the prospect list will continue to grow by 50 each year. I really appreciate the work he puts in and think we should make it as easy as possible to track.

We're all good GM's, we'll adapt ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we want to make it as real to the NHL as possible, you would either set a contract or in our case a prospect limit. If there is interest from the powers at be or by league members, I'd suggest by basically icing a farm team, similar to how our main teams are run. Maybe we can even have a farm team name (personally I'd love that idea). So you set a limit of how many players at each position a GM can hold on your farm team, and then at the end of the season you cut the dead weight. This actually may encourage prospect trades as GM's may look to fill holes on the farm team if they are lacking in a particular position. I dunno, it's just an idea so don't shoot me if it's lame. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
MVW good idea. Although it's downfall is the amount of work that has to be put in it.

Anglesmith still manages the prospects as he's doing now. Basically it's the GM's job to record the info on his Wiki page and decides who to keep. I actually think it would be a more organized way of seeing who has who.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If we want to make it as real to the NHL as possible, you would either set a contract or in our case a prospect limit. If there is interest from the powers at be or by league members, I'd suggest by basically icing a farm team, similar to how our main teams are run. Maybe we can even have a farm team name (personally I'd love that idea). So you set a limit of how many players at each position a GM can hold on your farm team, and then at the end of the season you cut the dead weight. This actually may encourage prospect trades as GM's may look to fill holes on the farm team if they are lacking in a particular position. I dunno, it's just an idea so don't shoot me if it's lame. :laugh:

I don't think it's lame. I just think it complicates matters and I don't know if GMs would be willing to go to those lengths.

I was toying with a similar idea earlier, actually. We could have signed and unsigned prospects. Signed prospects would be the only ones who could be called up during the season, but would be limited to a finite number (5 seems good). Unsigned prospects would be unlimited in number, but would become free agents if not signed after a finite number of seasons (3 seems good). Managers could also remove the prospect status of a signed prospect and promote him to a full-time player in order to open up a signed prospect spot. This way, you could decide to wait on a late-blooming prospect by signing him before he's ready for the NHL (playing him in the minors, essentially), but you can also load up on lots of prospects without having to deal with a strict limit.

Again, I think the issue is if people want to make things more complicated in this way. I have a feeling the answer to that would be a resounding no.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
The Junior Dusters:

Ty Rattie - Sam Bennett - Kasperi Kapanen
Ivan Barbashev - Scott Laughton - Nikita Scherbak
???? - Calle Jarnkrok - ????

Trouba - Ekblad
Morrissey - McKeown
Heatherington

I got too many defenseman :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anglesmith, that sounds like a really good idea to, as you said it's quite similar to mine. But I think that sounds even more complicated than what I proposed lol?

Prospect numbers may not be a huge deal now, but they may become a real issue in 2-3 seasons if we do not cap them in some way. I dunno, it's worth discussing I think.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Anglesmith, that sounds like a really good idea to, as you said it's quite similar to mine. But I think that sounds even more complicated than what I proposed lol?

Prospect numbers may not be a huge deal now, but they may become a real issue in 2-3 seasons if we do not cap them in some way. I dunno, it's worth discussing I think.

Wait for a few years from now when prospects actually start taking up roster room and you've really got to think about your future.

We're 2 seasons deep and really haven't had a chance to see many prospects jump into the show.

I don't think it's worth much of a discussion until maybe next off season or the one after

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I really like MVW's idea! Great idea, man!

But I feel some people think it would become more of a dynasty league than a fantasy league, you know? idk, just a thought

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
lel that awkward moment when you have one player on your farm team :sarcasm:

obviously the easiest way is to put a limit on the number of prospects we can own. My suggestion would be six forwards, four Dmen, and two goalies. If we do expand to 20 teams eventually, it would be 240 prospects every year that are potentially listed, manageable for sure.

Aug 3, 2010
Here's my proposal for overall prospect status:

1) Once you draft a prospect, they will head go down to your prospect pool, where they will stay until you bring them up to your roster or until they play 100 games in the NHL. If you do not bring up a prospect after they have played 100 games in the NHL, they are considered free agents and any team can pick them up in the Free Agency Pool come July 1st.

2) Prospects must play a minimum of 20 NHL games over 3 seasons post-draft. If this requirement is reached, the prospect must play at least 10 NHL games in each of the following seasons to maintain prospect status.
If the prospect fails to play in 20 NHL games in three seasons' time post-draft OR fails to play 10 NHL games following the 3 season deadline, they will automatically be released into the Free Agency Pool come July 1st.

3) GMs can select up to 3 additional keeper prospects that do not otherwise qualify under the first or second rule.

This weeds out prospects that GMs don't care to manage properly (aka they're most likely busts but the GM just hasn't bothered to release them into free agency) as time will take its toll.
It also allows for long-term development.
And it allows for long-shot prospects to be given a chance if the GM decides it is worth the risk.
Age is not a factor here.

Maybe I'm missing something as I am not posting from home. Maybe it's a terrible suggestion. I tried. :dunno:

Aug 3, 2010
lel that awkward moment when you have one player on your farm team :sarcasm:

obviously the easiest way is to put a limit on the number of prospects we can own. My suggestion would be six forwards, four Dmen, and two goalies. If we do expand to 20 teams eventually, it would be 240 prospects every year that are potentially listed, manageable for sure.

Not really fair if at your draft position BPA dictates that you draft a defenceman and all other player positions are inferior prospects, where your prospect keeper roster is already full of great defence prospects and you are forced to drop one.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Not really fair if at your draft position BPA dictates that you draft a defenceman and all other player positions are inferior prospects, where your prospect keeper roster is already full of great defence prospects and you are forced to drop one.

or you can trade those said Dman for immediate help and try to win the championship, which is the real goal of the game, no?

compromises will have to be made to satisfy everyone, evidently :laugh: I do see your point, but to me it's more about building your main team to contend as opposed to finding a way to stockpile prospects.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
TFG suggested something to me which might well be the most simple solution. We could offer GMs the opportunity to exchange 2 prospects for 1 additional prospect pick. We could have all of these extra picks essentially form a fourth round, which could include any number of picks. This way, GMs have an incentive to cut loose any slow-developing prospects, but aren't being forced to do so.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Ovechkin Persei Juniors:

Brock Nelson - Ryan Strome - Nick Ritchie
Adrian Kempe - Sam Reinhart - Tom Wilson

Travis Sanheim - Haydn Fleury
Matt Dumba - Jordan Subban
Nathan Beaulieu - Oscar Klefbom

:)

Status