Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign Dave Bolland (5x5.5)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
30 point guys go for 3 million, not 5.5. Hate this deal so much. He's scored over 40 once on a stacked team. Definitely not expecting him to beat that on the Florida Panthers. If he can't stay healthy, do the above and score 50 points this deal will haunt us. We could have overpaid on a defenseman instead of a C.

I was trying to be realistic with my expectations. My assumption is that Tallon is bringing him in for a specific role. Just trying to figure what exactly that could be. He is not going to stay healthy for the entire five years. He is not going to put up points because he is not that kind of player.

I agree with you. This contract is awful. Why not just give Vanek 10 million if you are going to overpay ? If you are going to overpay may as well get a goal scorer or a commodity that isn't easily found. Personally, I would have rather signed Goc, Ott, or Grabovski for 2 to 3 million for the 3C role. Maybe those guys don't have the "intangibles" that Bolland has, but the trouble with "intangibles" is that they don't do anything from IR.

Guys it's a bad contract, sure. But the hate has gotten ridiculous... It's a huge overpayment but Bolland is a player who is going to really help us when he's on the ice. When Chi won the cup, he was being touted as one of the best shutdown centers in the game, and was consistently nullifying guys like Sedin and Thornton to win those series. Clearly some of that rubbed off on Toews, and maybe Tallon sees something different than we all do in terms of the development of Bjugstad and Barkov.

I'm not trying to say I'm happy with the deal, I'm just saying that there has to be something the casual fan isn't seeing in Bolland that makes him worthy of even asking for 5+ mil in the first place, let alone getting it. All I'm trying to say is we're not throwing away the money, we're still getting a damn good player out of it

I'm hoping that this is the case. I wonder what Bolland's advanced stats are like.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
IMO it really depends on how Bolland holds up/performs. Trocheck could still bump him down to 4C in a few years.

Yeah I know, a 4C making 5.5 :help:

The AAV isn't a big deal to me. It's the five years.

If he was the fourth line center in two years, I wouldn't mind because he would have only 1 year left, and not 3.

Oh well. Damage is done. I'll be rooting for him.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Another point about those saying "we could have used Bollands money to sign Vanek, Moulson, Cammo"

Doesn't anyone think maybe they didn't want to come here regardless? I'm sure Tallon kicked tires on all of them, but it takes 2 to tango.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Hey now, Bollands contract is putrid, but he's a good player. Especially when he's healthy.

Who knows if he will be though.

He isn't big, he isn't physical, he doesn't win faceoffs, he doesn't score consistently, he doesn't stay healthy. He has been lucky to play 50 games a year. That's what we gave up 5.5$ for.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Is this worse than the Olesz contract?

maybe ?

Olesz Games played : 365 Total Points : 134

Bolland Games playes : 355 Total Points : 180

I know points aren't everything but this is just bad. Mostly because of the length 5 years is horrendous no way to justify it. If they needed to get to the cap give him 7 million for 3 years? or don't sign him at all :help:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Another point about those saying "we could have used Bollands money to sign Vanek, Moulson, Cammo"

Doesn't anyone think maybe they didn't want to come here regardless? I'm sure Tallon kicked tires on all of them, but it takes 2 to tango.

What is Tallon doing? Spending money on the Bollands of the world is only going to screw us more long term. 5.5 mil....did he stop watching the nhl these last two years? His blind love for his boys will be his downfall. The bolland move reeks of desperation. I get the feeling Tallon is grasping for straws at this point and this is the best he could do. I don't think he lasts another year, but we'll see. I also think he sees bolland as a 1-2C. Once again, this team passing off 3rd liners as top 6 talent......

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

That's what I would think.

Tallon also wanted Bolland badly.

Oh well, its done. I'm not gonna stew about it. Hopefully he can help our team.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Is this worse than the Olesz contract?

It could be, but it probably will not be.

While Bolland may never put up more than 40 points here, he at least is an above average two way player that has some grit.

Olesz was signed purely for potential, and would be out for two months over a broken fingernail.

As long as Bolland stays healthy, he should be a productive player for us.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Leaf fans were always pissed at Bolland for not developing a rapport with the GM/ownership after what they gave up to get him. He was quoted saying "Florida had the money, Toronto didnt" so basically he just chased the cash. So not only is he not a good player, he isn't a good franchise guy. Perfect.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He isn't big, he isn't physical, he doesn't win faceoffs, he doesn't score consistently, he doesn't stay healthy. He has been lucky to play 50 games a year. That's what we gave up 5.5$ for.

He is definitely physical. His grit, leadership, and experience is why he had such absurd demands.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Well they are clearly willing to spend money.

We haven't even reached the cap floor, we can't say that yet. If we just resign our RFAs from this point, that's hardly a big bump.

Also, last owners were willing to spend money one offseason. Things change quickly. It's also a lot easier to pay for a player than to pay to get rid of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad