Post-Game Talk: PANIC GDT: Flyers at Kings | December 31, 2022 | 4:00 PM Real Time

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
So, as usual, none of you watched the game?

Risto had a great sequence on the PK that sealed the win, 3 blocked shots, a hit on Kopitar that separated him from the puck, basically stymied the Kings singlehandedly while Cates scored the game winner.

They only beat the hottest team in the NHL (6-0-1) on their home ice.

Are they a good team? Nah. But they're showing flashes and playing more consistently. And are becoming a team with structure which is a better environment to add talented prospects.

And yes, Tippett, the player Fletcher was snookered into taking, has 11 goals in 31 games. He's not going to win a hockey IQ test, but he's not "dumb and dumber". Has a great skill set, as he gets experience and confidence, could become a top six winger. It's hard to find his combination of strength, speed, puck handling and a plus wrist shot. Certainly worth a little patience.
Outscoring one Morgan Frost, who saw that coming. If Tippet is a solid 3rd line guy then that is good. Keep the expectations tempered.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
So he MAY be a useful but replaceable piece at 24 years old and already on his 2nd contract. This isn’t praise, deady. It’s an example of hard-capping the upside of your potential wins through self-inflicted mistakes. If everything breaks well, you’ll have to pay him by the time those pieces matter much.
Another master class of asset management. And due to the paucity of talent on the team, you can bet they will resign him at his peak value and suffer the consequences.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So, as usual, none of you watched the game?

Risto had a great sequence on the PK that sealed the win, 3 blocked shots, a hit on Kopitar that separated him from the puck, basically stymied the Kings singlehandedly while Cates scored the game winner.

They only beat the hottest team in the NHL (6-0-1) on their home ice.

Are they a good team? Nah. But they're showing flashes and playing more consistently. And are becoming a team with structure which is a better environment to add talented prospects.

And yes, Tippett, the player Fletcher was snookered into taking, has 11 goals in 31 games. He's not going to win a hockey IQ test, but he's not "dumb and dumber". Has a great skill set, as he gets experience and confidence, could become a top six winger. It's hard to find his combination of strength, speed, puck handling and a plus wrist shot. Certainly worth a little patience.

They got outplayed again.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
How about check the league standings, that's not rocket science either.
(But I get that short term fun is much easier to perceive than long term bullshit)

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
How about check the league standings, that's not rocket science either.
(But I get that short term fun is much easier to perceive than long term bullshit)
if you NEED to be pessimistic all year go right ahead :nopity:

I'll continue to watch TK, Tippet, Frost, TDA, Sanheim, York, Ersson etc., improve .....

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
if you NEED to be pessimistic all year go right ahead :nopity:

I'll continue to watch TK, Tippet, Frost, TDA, Sanheim, York, Ersson etc., improve .....

Nah I'm absolutely extatic looking at their current position in the standings already, and this yuuge win is just a cherry on an orgasmic top :bow::bow: - because I don't care about how this leads to further mediocrity, I'm just glad they were hard against someone on one evening :heart:

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
This rudderless team will continue to just circle the drain. Non elite players in the core will keep us firmly entrenched in either missing playoffs, or barely sneaking in only to lose first round. And never getting a shot at a near generational talent who could be the centre piece of a 20 yr window of contention. Ask Pitts how the past 17 yrs have been to be a fan

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
So he MAY be a useful but replaceable piece at 24 years old and already on his 2nd contract. This isn’t praise, deady. It’s an example of hard-capping the upside of your potential wins through self-inflicted mistakes. If everything breaks well, you’ll have to pay him by the time those pieces matter much.
So glad they traded Giroux for this guy and a pick. Fletch had no choice!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Part of me is actually somewhat relieved seeing he’s signed on for next year. As I’d hate to see this organization have to go to the negotiating table with a player on a shooting heater.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Post game comment by Alex Adler: "It was a hard fought game from start to finish. They worked hard. They battled hard. I think that they came out a bit better than us..."
Having opponents recognize this in the play of this year's team beats the heck out of the stuff that we saw for the last two years.

The Flyers were outplayed. That's a boilerplate response from a losing team. Guarantee you can find the same statements last year.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Adler has been around for a long time, think I respect his opinion just a little more than yours :)

no offense

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Post game comment by Alex Edler: "It was a hard fought game from start to finish. They worked hard. They battled hard. I think that they came out a bit better than us..."
Having opponents recognize this in the play of this year's team beats the heck out of the stuff that we saw for the last two years.
Yes it does.

Playing hard has been Torts’ top priority from the day of hire, & they have made major progress in this area compared to the last two years.

It is good progress to see. Sure, most posters hate it because they want the Flyers to be the worst team in hockey. But I enjoy the hard work & improvement.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes it does.

Playing hard has been Torts’ top priority from the day of hire, & they have made major progress in this area compared to the last two years.

It is good progress to see. Sure, most posters hate it because they want the Flyers to be the worst team in hockey. But I enjoy the hard work & improvement.

They're outplayed nightly. What improvement?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I dont mind a few wins here n there. Its good for the few actual good/promising players on the team to get rewarded now n then.

What i mind is that everyone in the entire hockey world knew Chuck shouldve been fired in early December but ownership decided to wait until after the new year bc its "mean" to fire him around the holidays.

Now we finally are here and a few wins are just going to further keep chuck in place. Hes going to buy himself the TDL where he is further going to set the team back.

Firing Chuck is the only thing thats going to allow this team to turn a page and move forward.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I dont mind a few wins here n there. Its good for the few actual good/promising players on the team to get rewarded now n then.

What i mind is that everyone in the entire hockey world knew Chuck shouldve been fired in early December but ownership decided to wait until after the new year bc its "mean" to fire him around the holidays.

Now we finally are here and a few wins are just going to further keep chuck in place. Hes going to buy himself the TDL where he is further going to set the team back.

Firing Chuck is the only thing thats going to allow this team to turn a page and move forward.
Beating a weak SJ team in OT and then ambushing the Kings doesn’t make the Flyers a PO team. It’s nice to see that they are competitive which they weren’t last year but the roster shows that the club sucks. That’s on Fletcher and is grounds for immediate dismissal. He’s had four seasons and the Flyers are worse than when he took over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad