Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I was high on Poehling. A big fast two-way C who could also play physical, score goals, pass, had good hands, etc. What was there not to like?

Not sure what happened, but his development really plateaued when he got to his second year in college. I think his problem is he doesn’t process the game fast enough, but that’s something that’s really, really difficult to pick up on until they play against NHL competition.

It also didn’t help that his tools and athleticism allowed him to look fantastic in the short stints at NHL camps and call ups and things like that.

Unfortunate how he turned out, but it’s looking like he might finally be getting it together to carve out a career as a decent bottom-sixer in the NHL. He’s still just 25.
He couldn’t score, never had great hands and was always a fringe prospect, Beck is greater in every way imo.

Reactions: mdk

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He couldn’t score, never had great hands and was always a fringe prospect, Beck is greater in every way imo.
Sure buddy. Thats why he was selected in the first round, 25th overall.

It’s easy to say shit like this with the benefit of hindsight. Worthless post.

Reactions: themilosh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
???

Part of Beaulieu's failing was that he couldn't shoot the puck hard, so that limited his offense.

Beaulieu is as dumb as a bag of hammers, his shot was fine but he just didn't have the processor to help him to determine how to use it. Poehling isn't quite as dumb but he is close which is what has limited his ceiling.

Timmins' biggest weakness was spotting IQ which is not surprising for a muscle worshipping bro.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Beaulieu is as dumb as a bag of hammers, his shot was fine but he just didn't have the processor to help him to determine how to use it. Poehling isn't quite as dumb but he is close which is what has limited his ceiling.

Timmins' biigest weakness was spotting IQ which is not surprising for a muscle worshipping bro.
Lets say MB was of average intelligence so around 110iq -- if he met a 115iq prospect hed think this kid was Harvard bound... that's exactly why the Habs have been middling in offensive woes for decades...

McDavid prolly has a 140+iq with god given talent.. they key to drafting after the top 15 is to find those 140iq kids with 'excellent skill" and work ethic... high intelligence. Like Beck.

This is one of the reasons im not a big fan of the foreign kids (eastern bloc) as it is difficult to guage their intellect without them speaking their mother tongue. I have a feeling Michkov interviewed poorly, this is a huge oversite by fans blinded by his reels.

I used to interview dozens of candidates for managerial level positions, and sometimes youd get these incredible resumes but you could just tell they were ego driven, all about me style.. that doesnt work in a sport like hockey... it is the ultimate team game - the best players ice 1/3 of a game, you need cohesion to the values if you ever want to dominate..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Lets say MB was of average intelligence so around 110iq -- if he met a 115iq prospect hed think this kid was Harvard bound... that's exactly why the Habs have been middling in offensive woes for decades...

McDavid prolly has a 140+iq with god given talent.. they key to drafting after the top 15 is to find those 140iq kids with 'excellent skill" and work ethic... high intelligence. Like Beck.

This is one of the reasons im not a big fan of the foreign kids (eastern bloc) as it is difficult to guage their intellect without them speaking their mother tongue. I have a feeling Michkov interviewed poorly, this is a huge oversite by fans blinded by his reels.

I used to interview dozens of candidates for managerial level positions, and sometimes youd get these incredible resumes but you could just tell they were ego driven, all about me style.. that doesnt work in a sport like hockey... it is the ultimate team game - the best players ice 1/3 of a game, you need cohesion to the values if you ever want to dominate..

Actual IQ and hockey IQ are not always related. IQ is a very flawed method of determining intelligence and there are plenty of highly skilled people with average to below average IQ's. Hockey is very instinctive and depending how a child views the game from an early age they will develop different types of pattern recognition which will often determine a player's hockey IQ.

I would not be surprised to see some level of correlation between IQ and hockey IQ but it is far from absolute. I personally know some very simple minds that are very smart in certain sports.....

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I’d like to keep him as well. There are too many other D with lesser potential cluttering up the blue line in both Laval and MTL for me to entertain the idea of trading him, especially since he’s a big mobile RHD who looks like he’s also now developing a two-way game.

On the Sergachev note, I was one of the posters who wanted to trade him. He was a great prospect, but he was the piece who could’ve gotten us the C we needed. Instead MB traded him for Drouin which I would’ve never done, and it was clear as day that it was going to be a disaster from the jump.

I actually made a proposal on here around Sergachev/O’Reilly and was lambasted for it, and told “We aren’t giving up Serg for Ryan frickin’ O’Reilly!” lmao 😂. As everyone knows, dude ended up pushing the Blues over the top and won the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Selke for them a couple years later. He was exactly what we needed lol and he was available and we could’ve got him.

I always wonder what would’ve happened in a hypothetical scenario where O’Reilly is on the team for the ‘21 finals run.

Bergevin could have traded Phoeling as the main piece for O'reilly, but he didnt lmao

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

And what was the IQ of previous 5-GMs who couldn’t draft & develop a steady 75pt player?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think the intangibles are close but the hockey IQ is where the difference is. Beck is just a smarter player and more focused at improving. Poehling was easily distracted and not focused enough IMO.

One thing I have learned over the years is the players who turn out well, have that critical obsession to improve ingredient. With Beck, you can clearly see his 200' game and how he works hard at both ends. He's an ultimate team guy who does what he needs to do for the team.

Very interesting to see how both Kapanen and Beck have trended in the last few months. That draft power is going to pay off. Hopefully we can fill the roster holes as we move forward. We need a hit in this draft.

Bergevin could have traded Phoeling as the main piece for O'reilly, but he didnt lmao

From what I remember, it was Poehling and our 1st which ended up being Caufield?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kaiden Ghoul

Jan 19, 2020
I think the intangibles are close but the hockey IQ is where the difference is. Beck is just a smarter player and more focused at improving. Poehling was easily distracted and not focused enough IMO.

One thing I have learned over the years is the players who turn out well, have that critical obsession to improve ingredient. With Beck, you can clearly see his 200' game and how he works hard at both ends. He's an ultimate team guy who does what he needs to do for the team.

Very interesting to see how both Kapanen and Beck have trended in the last few months. That draft power is going to pay off. Hopefully we can fill the roster holes as we move forward. We need a hit in this draft.

From what I remember, it was Poehling and our 1st which ended up being Caufield?

Not sure about the 1st pick, Poehling was 1st round value already. From what i thibk i remember Buffalo wanted the first and Poehling but they finnaly back down to Poehling + but Bergy...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure about the 1st pick, Poehling was 1st round value already. From what i thibk i remember Buffalo wanted the first and Poehling but they finnaly back down to Poehling + but Bergy...

I think the Sabres did have a high price for a division trade. No doubt Bergevin wanted to get ROR. It's too easy to throw him under the bus for everything. Yeah, he was not that great but it could have been Poehling and Caufield for ROR. For all we know, the cost was too crazy or it wasn't. But I do think Bergevin was good at trades. Pretty sure he was open to Poehling+ for ROR but not a 1st as our +. If this was true, I don't blame him.

Kaiden Ghoul

Jan 19, 2020
I think the Sabres did have a high price for a division trade. No doubt Bergevin wanted to get ROR. It's too easy to throw him under the bus for everything. Yeah, he was not that great but it could have been Poehling and Caufield for ROR. For all we know, the cost was too crazy or it wasn't. But I do think Bergevin was good at trades. Pretty sure he was open to Poehling+ for ROR but not a 1st as our +. If this was true, I don't blame him.

At the beggining they wanted more but Buffalo called back without the first if i recalé corectly

If it was indeed the first and Poehling or no deal, then i agréé with you, Bergy made the good choice

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Actual IQ and hockey IQ are not always related. IQ is a very flawed method of determining intelligence and there are plenty of highly skilled people with average to below average IQ's. Hockey is very instinctive and depending how a child views the game from an early age they will develop different types of pattern recognition which will often determine a player's hockey IQ.

I would not be surprised to see some level of correlation between IQ and hockey IQ but it is far from absolute. I personally know some very simple minds that are very smart in certain sports.....
I agree with correlation, and that it's not absolute... there's flaws in all methods but with enough data regression analysis is pretty accurate.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

Great post! They're soccer players, but Luis Suarez and Diego Maradona are/were not top minds despite being incredible players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad