Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Here is a list of the Memorial Cup MVPs over the last 20 years ... recognize any names?

2023 - Nathan Gaucher, Quebec Remparts
2022 - William Dufour, Saint John Sea Dogs
2021 - Not awarded (tournament canceled due to COVID-19)
2020 - Not awarded (tournament canceled due to COVID-19)
2019 - Ian Scott, Prince Albert Raiders
2018 - Alex D’Orio, Acadie-Bathurst Titan
2017 - Dylan Strome, Erie Otters
2016 - Mitch Marner, London Knights
2015 - Leon Draisaitl, Kelowna Rockets
2014 - Edgars Kulda, Edmonton Oil Kings
2013 - Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax Mooseheads
2012 - Michael Chaput, Shawinigan Cataractes
2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau, Saint John Sea Dogs
2010 - Taylor Hall, Windsor Spitfires
2009 - Taylor Hall, Windsor Spitfires
2008 - Dustin Tokarski, Spokane Chiefs
2007 - Taylor Pyatt, Vancouver Giants
2006 - Alexandre Vincent, Moncton Wildcats
2005 - Corey Perry, London Knights
2004 - Jeff Carter, Guelph Storm
2003 - Derek Roy, Kitchener Rangers
Only Tokarski. :naughty:

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Will be interesting to see how his game translates in the AHL. I think he will have a decent season and maybe a good center for Mesar. I dont see him starting with the Habs unless a center is moved this summer.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I really really hope he keeps that pest/agitator/toughness side he showed yesterday. He needs to brings that more often. If he understands it, he’ll be a very important part of this team. Give him tapes of Bennett/Marchand/Perry/Bertuzzi to watch so he can perfect his pest side

He won’t have the offensive minutes in the NHL. So he needs to put that he his tool box.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I really really hope he keeps that pest/agitator/toughness side he showed yesterday. He needs to brings that more often. If he understands it, he’ll be a very important part of this team. Give him tapes of Bennett/Marchand/Perry/Bertuzzi to watch so he can perfect his pest side

He won’t have the offensive minutes in the NHL. So he needs to put that he his tool box.
I think he's always had it in him. I watched him live from ice level seats and you could see he was a gamer, very intense and gritty. Might be harder to see in regular season OHL broadcasts with the limited camera angles.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I think he's always had it in him. I watched him live from ice level seats and you could see he was a gamer, very intense and gritty. Might be harder to see in regular season OHL broadcasts with the limited camera angles.

I know he has it in his veins. Just needs to show it more and more often like yesterday. He’s at his best when he does. When he’s in your face taunting you and smiling.

Reactions: badfish

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
The thing with Owen Beck is that it's easy to say that he will be a 3rd or 4th liner only, but the truth is, he has the tools to be one hell of a hockey player....whatever line he plays on. I hate limiting this type of player.

That is his floor for me.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Really looking forward to see how Beck plays in training camp. He's going to be a solid addition to our roster, but I think he'll need to tune his game a bit in the AHL first. His skating, tenacity, and shooting ability will be graciously welcomed when he arrives.

I do wonder if they start by working him in on the wing in the NHL, before giving him duties at center. The way he plays, he'll probably be able to take on a role as winger or center.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Snake being the key word 😂
I care little what Snake or anyone else thinks. I use my own eyes and judgement in assessing players. I find that to be the most profitable way to judge players.

I have followed Beck closely for over two years now and have often posted that people are somewhat blinded by the prevailing consensus, if not endless drumbeat, that Beck projects as a bottom line/defensive/utility center. I read comparisons of him to Evans and even Doug Jarvis. This is a too facile description of this young player's potential.

In my eyes , Beck possesses strong skating, good offensive vision and an above average shot. For periods of time Beck played on Saginaw's power play and was a key triggerman who was being set up by Parekh for one-timers off the side board. For some reason, Beck was dropped to the second power play unit and Saginaw's power play efficiency dropped accordingly. Beck also has a disappearing skill, the ability to shoot off the rush. I have seen him beat goalies from 30 to 40 feet with his NHL level snap shot. Beck is defensively responsible , but no where near as defensively effective/dominant as many pundits, endlessly parrot. His face-off skills speak for themselves and he plays a heavy game. Just ask Cowan.

If you watched the Memorial Championship game last night you have to ask yourself, in that intense and highly competitive situation, who showed up? Who made their presence felt? Beck's skating, skill and high compete level allowed him to be a difference maker on the proverbial big stage. This is the type of player you win with.

With all due respect to the Snake, If Beck is only Montreal's fourth best center in a few years, our other 3 centers will be very strong.

Idk, Mailloux does kind of give off Beaulieu vibes in some ways. I hope not, but still.
Beaulieu was a better skater than Mailloux. Unless Mailloux can gain some quickness, I fear he will never be more than a fringe NHLer.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Beaulieu was a better skater than Mailloux. Unless Mailloux can gain some quickness, I fear he will never be more than a fringe NHLer.
Beaulieu was also one of the dumbest players I’ve ever seen play for the Habs, a classic “all tools, no tool box” player.

I don’t think Mailloux is the same in that regard. He doesn’t have a world class IQ or anything, but it’s decent, and he’s shown considerable, consistent growth in his game the last few years, especially defensively.

Still has a ways to go in most areas, but he seems to be steadily improving, and that’s all you can ask from a raw project type prospect. That’s something that was just never there to anywhere near the same degree with Beaulieu.

Mailloux also has a great attitude and appears to have a strong work ethic and passion for the game. Those are other things that were absent with Beaulieu as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was. I was talking more stylistically. I do think Mailloux has more of what it takes in terms of intangibles. Hopefully that ends up being the difference.

I think we need to hang onto him to see how his NHL game looks. I like the maturity he showed in his 1st AHL season. Trading him before he plays a full NHL season could back fire like it did with Sergachev. He has his type of size and skating/skill/shot. Not saying he will turn into Sergachev but I do like what I see so far.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
For me, he smells a lot like Ryan White. His trade value is on top right now.
This is who he was reminding me of, and I couldn’t put my finger on it. He was so hyped by Habs fans and ended up being such a forgettable player. Obviously I hope Beck ends up as more than that, but the resemblance is there for sure.

Reactions: bleuetbio

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'm not sure I see a lot of similarities between White and Evans, and Beck. White wasn't the level of skater that Beck is, and Evans doesn't have the puck/shooting skills that Beck has. Beck is a better prospect than either of them was/is in my opinion.

Seeing similarities with Bouchard's game and his progression as an average-at-best skater, it is certainly evident to me that there is a path to an impact role in the NHL for Mailloux. Gaining more pro experience and gaining a bit of explosiveness will be key for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad