Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think we need to hang onto him to see how his NHL game looks. I like the maturity he showed in his 1st AHL season. Trading him before he plays a full NHL season could back fire like it did with Sergachev. He has his type of size and skating/skill/shot. Not saying he will turn into Sergachev but I do like what I see so far.
I’d like to keep him as well. There are too many other D with lesser potential cluttering up the blue line in both Laval and MTL for me to entertain the idea of trading him, especially since he’s a big mobile RHD who looks like he’s also now developing a two-way game.

On the Sergachev note, I was one of the posters who wanted to trade him. He was a great prospect, but he was the piece who could’ve gotten us the C we needed. Instead MB traded him for Drouin which I would’ve never done, and it was clear as day that it was going to be a disaster from the jump.

I actually made a proposal on here around Sergachev/O’Reilly and was lambasted for it, and told “We aren’t giving up Serg for Ryan frickin’ O’Reilly!” lmao 😂. As everyone knows, dude ended up pushing the Blues over the top and won the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Selke for them a couple years later. He was exactly what we needed lol and he was available and we could’ve got him.

I always wonder what would’ve happened in a hypothetical scenario where O’Reilly is on the team for the ‘21 finals run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d like to keep him as well. There are too many other D with lesser potential cluttering up the blue line in both Laval and MTL for me to entertain the idea of trading him, especially since he’s a big mobile RHD who looks like he’s also now developing a two-way game.

On the Sergachev note, I was one of the posters who wanted to trade him. He was a great prospect, but he was the piece who could’ve gotten us the C we needed. Instead MB traded him for Drouin which I would’ve never done, and it was clear as day that was a mistake from the jump.

I actually made a proposal on here around Sergachev/O’Reilly and was lambasted for it, and told “We aren’t giving up Serg for Ryan frickin’ O’Reilly!” lmao 😂. As everyone knows, dude ended up pushing the Blues over the top and won the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Selke for them a couple years later. He was exactly what we needed lol and he was available and we could’ve got him.

I always wonder what would’ve happened in a hypothetical scenario where O’Reilly is on the team for the ‘21 finals run.

I think it was Poehling and a 1st (the year we picked Caufield) as the ask for ROR right? Can't remember for sure.

Would the same hype around Poehling (pre NHL) measure up to how we evaluate Beck and Kapanen today? Many will say no but they are probably using hindsight information with how they know who Poehling is today. Not all players turn into Suzuki but not all of them turn into Poehling either.

I personally rather trade guys after we get to see them in the NHL (like Romanov).

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think it was Poehling and a 1st (the year we picked Caufield) as the ask for ROR right?
I’m not 100% certain what the exact proposal was and I can’t find the thread now.

It was one of our top prospects (90% sure it was Sergachev), a pick or two, and I think a lesser prospect.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
With all due respect to the Snake, If Beck is only Montreal's fourth best center in a few years, our other 3 centers will be very strong.
Exactly.

And there is a great advantage to grow these players in-house compared to overpaying overhyped veterans to fill those spots. If what we get is a 3rd or 4th line responsible center with size, grit and an acceptable productivity, that will have been a great pick.

Always take what Snake says with a grain of salt. He likes to throw outrageous comments and then rub it in that is right later on, ignoring the fact that he was wrong 95% of the time. He's like these 'insiders' who throw outrageous trade insights all the time, and then stick to the one time it ended happening to claim they have real inside information.

Reactions: cphabs

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think it was Poehling and a 1st (the year we picked Caufield) as the ask for ROR right? Can't remember for sure.

Would the same hype around Poehling (pre NHL) measure up to how we evaluate Beck and Kapanen today? Many will say no but they are probably using hindsight information with how they know who Poehling is today. Not all players turn into Suzuki but not all of them turn into Poehling either.

I personally rather trade guys after we get to see them in the NHL (like Romanov).
I was high on Poehling. A big fast two-way C who could also play physical, score goals, pass, had good hands, etc. What was there not to like?

Not sure what happened, but his development really plateaued when he got to his second year in college. I think his problem is he doesn’t process the game fast enough, but that’s something that’s really, really difficult to pick up on until they play against NHL competition.

It also didn’t help that his tools and athleticism allowed him to look fantastic in the short stints at NHL camps and call ups and things like that.

Unfortunate how he turned out, but it’s looking like he might finally be getting it together to carve out a career as a decent bottom-sixer in the NHL. He’s still just 25.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was high on Poehling. A big fast two-way C who could also play physical, score goals, pass, had good hands, etc. What was there not to like?

Not sure what happened, but his development really plateaued when he got to his second year in college. I think his problem is he doesn’t process the game fast enough, but that’s something that’s really, really difficult to pick up on until they play against NHL competition.

It also didn’t help that his tools and athleticism allowed him to look fantastic in the short stints at NHL camps and call ups and things like that.

Unfortunate how he turned out, but it’s looking like he might finally be getting it together to carve out a career as a decent bottom-sixer in the NHL. He’s still just 25.

I was high on him too. I thought we had 2C or 3C potential but he was just not committed or obsessed to improve. Not many players have it.

Not like I think Beck and Kapanen will disappoint like Poehling but I find myself equally as high on them today as I was with Poehling. Probably means nothing in the end. What matters more is how obsessive Beck and Kapanen are to improve.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I was high on him too. I thought we had 2C or 3C potential but he was just not committed or obsessed to improve. Not many players have it.

Not like I think Beck and Kapanen will disappoint like Poehling but I find myself equally as high on them today as I was with Poehling. Probably means nothing in the end. What matters more is how obsessive Beck and Kapanen are to improve.
Sometimes guys have the talent and the drive and mindset - everything needed to become a good NHL player or even star player - and things happen out of their control or that nobody saw coming and things can get derailed.

A guy that gets a lot of shit around here and is the butt of a lot of little jokes here and there is David Fischer. The kid lost his mother to cancer within a year after being drafted. Having lost mine as an adult and knowing how hard it is, I can’t imagine going through that at that age while trying to finish college and trying to become a professional hockey player all at once.

Something similar happened to Benoit Pouliot.

I guess my point is that you just never know with these young players, nothing is ever certain or as simple as people make it seem.

Reactions: themilosh

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
If Beck can become our version of Kris Draper I’ll be happy. Although that shot could make him much more of a scoring threat.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Always take what Snake says with a grain of salt. He likes to throw outrageous comments and then rub it in that is right later on, ignoring the fact that he was wrong 95% of the time. He's like these 'insiders' who throw outrageous trade insights all the time, and then stick to the one time it ended happening to claim they have real inside information.
I don’t take anything seriously from anyone with the nickname ‘Snake’ unless their last name is Plante, Stabler or Plissken.

• Haha
Reactions: Leto

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Surprised some people are wondering if he might play wing at the next level. The way I see it is he will probably be a top 5 FO% guy year in year out for us, I don't know if I've ever seen a junior player dominate this much in faceoffs before.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
In his prime, could Owen Beck be a similar player to Ryan Kesler? He is 2 inches smaller, but to be fair, these are 2 inches of forehead. Not sure they impact the game at all.

I see similar players of defensive acumen with some good offensive tools. I don't think Beck will ever be a 1C, but if he can impact the game enough with his overall play, a kind of 2C ala Kesler may not be out of the realm os possibilities? I could see Beck being even better on faceoffs and defensively than Kesler. Offensively, maybe not, but there is a chance. Beck isn't a dog on rawbone as much as Kesler though.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
In his prime, could Owen Beck be a similar player to Ryan Kesler? He is 2 inches smaller, but to be fair, these are 2 inches of forehead. Not sure they impact the game at all.
This reminds me that Chris Kreider would literally be like 5’8”-5’9” if he had normal length neck. Just look at his mugshot on db or wherever lol it’s like 7-8” from his collar bone to his chin 😂. Compare that to someone like Crosby in the same type of pic - Crosby has like 2” between chin and collar lmao.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don’t take anything seriously from anyone with the nickname ‘Snake’ unless their last name is Plante, Stabler or Plissken.
giphy.gif

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I see similar players of defensive acumen with some good offensive tools. I don't think Beck will ever be a 1C, but if he can impact the game enough with his overall play, a kind of 2C ala Kesler may not be out of the realm os possibilities? I could see Beck being even better on faceoffs and defensively than Kesler. Offensively, maybe not, but there is a chance. Beck isn't a dog on rawbone as much as Kesler though.
I was thinking more along the lines of Michael Peca or Ryan O’Reilly as ideal ceiling

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Surprised some people are wondering if he might play wing at the next level. The way I see it is he will probably be a top 5 FO% guy year in year out for us, I don't know if I've ever seen a junior player dominate this much in faceoffs before.
If he's ever a winger , it'll be 4th line wing a la Suzuki to start off the career and he gets a bit of work in

But make no mistake about it, this is the future 3C for us

Reactions: Favster and NewDef

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
If he's ever a winger , it'll be 4th line wing a la Suzuki to start off the career and he gets a bit of work in

But make no mistake about it, this is the future 3C for us
I really liked that pick. Ever since i saw that 'behind the draft' video and saw his composure, his assurance, it was clear to me that if not top 6 he would be a hell of a 3rd line center for a competing team once mature.

This year he's been trying to learn the fine line on the physical side, sometimes going over and recalibrating. Some A time required but he's not going to be there long. Sometimes one's not sure if he'll make the NHL but guys like Mailloux, Beck, Roy, it's just evident.

2025-2026 I would be thrilled with a third line of Roy-Beck-¿Mesar?

Slaf-Suz-Necas (or similar)
Newhook-Dach-CC
Roy-Beck-Mesar?
Tuch?/Davidson-Florian-Evans

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad