Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Poehling was doing well until the concussion.
Yup.
His first real full camp got caught admiring a pass and got smoked from the side from a player who was back checking.
I never understood what Poehling was doing on that play considering he was making the pass from his own end of the rink.
Typically you make the pass and you are going. :ha:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yup.
His first real full camp got caught admiring a pass and got smoked from the side from a player who was back checking.
I never understood what Poehling was doing on that play considering he was making the pass from his own end of the rink.
Typically you make the pass and you are going. :ha:
Most young players are often hypnotized by the puck because they're still adjusting to the pace.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Awesome f***ing article sheesh
There isn't a single doubt in my mind he's the future 3C of this team
And will obviously get top6 chances and PP chances eventually and circumstantially

He will become such a boon in time for the Suzuki and Dach lines when in a couple/few years they'll notice more and more shifts vs lesser quality opponents to take more advantage of as Becks line eventually get more and more of a shutdown role vs top opposition

And on top of everything could still potentially give you 20 goals lmao

All these little things matter baby

Can't wait to see him and his progress in let's say 2 years

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
And will obviously get top6 chances and PP chances eventually and circumstantially

He will become such a boon in time for the Suzuki and Dach lines when in a couple/few years they'll notice more and more shifts vs lesser quality opponents to take more advantage of as Becks line eventually get more and more of a shutdown role vs top opposition

I agree

All the Mailloux and Beck for McGoarty offers don't make sense to me

Even if Mailloux ends up as a 3rd pairing RD this isn't a good trade because I see Beck end up as a key asset and an elite 3C, a Danault type perhaps with better scoring.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec

yep! and Beck got that dawg in him to help win some championship! he never will be a top point producer but what a great pick nonetheless!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I agree

Even if Mailloux ends up as a 3rd pairing RD this isn't a good trade because I see Beck end up as a key asset and an elite 3C, a Danault type perhaps with better scoring.

They make sense value wise but we would create an hole making such trade.

Both Beck and Mailloux are important depth pieces for the rebuild.

The path to acquire McGroarty, in my opinion, is an overpayment of draft picks.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think most people here know I'm super stoked about Owen Beck.
I've been that way for a long time even saying he might end up being the steal of the draft after the consensus guys.
Ramage was the one who said count him as one who could make the team out of camp and that was last year.
Probably one of the reasons Beck was down initially when he didn't make it.
It would be very wrong to assume this guy is going to settle for Laval.
My guess is he will come in and force Marty's hand which will go a long way towards forcing Kent into making a move.

It's awesome to hear just how much time Byron spent with him it tells us two things.
One he's a highly regarded prospect and two our development team means business.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I've been that way for a long time even saying he might end up being the steal of the draft after the consensus guys.
Ramage was the one who said count him as one who could make the team out of camp and that was last year.
My guess is he will come in and force Marty's hand which will go a long way towards forcing Kent into making a move.

It's awesome to hear just how much time Byron spent with him it tells us two things.
One he's a highly regarded prospect and two our development team means business.
Well said. Seems like Owen Beck is an NHLer in waiting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yep! and Beck got that dawg in him to help win some championship! he never will be a top point producer but what a great pick nonetheless!

Beck is a warrior type. Not the type who is offensive obsessed but someone who focuses on the 200' game and what it takes to help the team win. Plays any role he needs to play.

Great skating/size/weight to support his style too. Lets hope he turns into what Poehling projected to be. Beck seems to have the IQ where Poehling didn't. We will see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He was a center emergency call up. No doubt they trust the maturity in his 200' game. So did team Canada.

The major question is how obsessive is he at improving? He's got a little taste of the NHL so he does know the challenge coming.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beck is a warrior type. Not the type who is offensive obsessed but someone who focuses on the 200' game and what it takes to help the team win. Plays any role he needs to play.

Great skating/size/weight to support his style too. Lets hope he turns into what Poehling projected to be. Beck seems to have the IQ where Poehling didn't. We will see.
Good possibility that in a few years it will show that Owen Beck was a steal in the 2nd round. A really complete player

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He looks better than I was expecting but I still think Habs should have move more spots to pick Gaucher. Here's what a poster said about Nathan Gaucher on Ducks forum :

"It doesn't suck being Nathan Gaucher in the last year.

NHL 1st round pick
WJC gold medallist in August
WJC gold medallist in January
Champion of the QMJHL regular season
Champiion of the QMJHL playoffs
Memorial Cup Champion"

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He looks better than I was expecting but I still think Habs should have movre more spots to pick Gaucher. Here's what a poster said about Nathan Gaucher on Ducks forum :

NHL 1st round pick
Memorial Cup Champion"
Bring this up in about 3 years, we can then see if you were right

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Bring this up in about 3 years, we can then see if you were right
From the beginning Gaucher wasn't a 2C transformed into a 3C. He was picked first round to be an effective 3C with the frame size to be efficient in any situations. He could face and neutralize big centers like Zibanejad or Matthews, he's not built like a small guy.

Time will tell, in 2 or 3 years from now.

Reactions: Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He looks better than I was expecting but I still think Habs should have move more spots to pick Gaucher. Here's what a poster said about Nathan Gaucher on Ducks forum :

NHL 1st round pick
Memorial Cup Champion"
Ok but.. Becks accolades and achievements either match or trump these technically lol

-Gaucher picked 22nd overall, Beck 33rd almost taken 26
-They were on the same WJC gold winning team in January '23
-Helped a joke team like Peterborough win the OHL Championship in '23
-Very next year help a different team win their First ever Memorial Cup in '24
-Memorial Cup MVP

Doesn't suck being Beck either last 2 years lol.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Ok but.. Becks accolades and achievements either match or trump these technically lol

-Memorial Cup MVP

Yes but I hope he's not gonna think he belongs to the 2C and complain he have no PP time, or he have to take def zone FO too often. Like, he can be prima dona, wanting bigger contract, etc. A player tagged 3C doesn't make as much money, doesn't have as much recognition and sometimes is traded for short time emergency. If he accepts his not sexy role of 3C, then it's ok with me.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree

Ahh... those shiny new toys that many can't resist.

Reactions: mdk and Doublechin

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yes but I hope he's not gonna think he belongs to the 2C and complain he have no PP time, or he have to take def zone FO too often. Like, he can be prima dona, wanting bigger contract, etc. A player tagged 3C doesn't make as much money, doesn't have as much recognition and sometimes is traded for short time emergency. If he accepts his not sexy role of 3C, then it's ok with me.
Did you describe Philip Danault there on purpose or accidentally by chance? Lol

While that can always BE a possibility, I just have a much better feeling about Becks possible attitude towards the whole thing

Plus, the amount of times OUR guys get hurt lol, there will be no shortage of potential top6 opportunities for Beck in the not so distant future

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario

-Memorial Cup MVP

That is outstanding to say the least.....very excited about this future Hab!

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad