Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No way

Crosby has carried AHLers to Championships. Playmaker who makes everybody around him better and scores a multitude of ways. Ovi is a goal scorer who scored a majority of his goals 2-3 ways. Arguably the best shot ever but that doesn't make you Top 10 all time. There's a lot of great players with 2 Championships. That's ultimately what it comes down to for Ovi to crack the Top 10 all time.
Crosby has never “carried” anyone to a championship. Stop pumping his tires to prove Ovechkins inferiority. He makes everyone around him better? That’s interesting because his line mates aren’t putting up a lot of points. Hell, most of them don’t even reach a PPG. so how does he make them “better?” Considering the standards that Ovechkin is being held to, maybe hold Crosby to the same.

He doesn’t make YOUR top ten because of your unnatural loyalty to Crosby and filtering everything Ovechkin does through him. Sorry but your fanboy mentality only weakens your opinion.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Crosby has never “carried” anyone to a championship. Stop pumping his tires to prove Ovechkins inferiority. He makes everyone around him better? That’s interesting because his line mates aren’t putting up a lot of points. Hell, most of them don’t even reach a PPG. so how does he make them “better?” Considering the standards that Ovechkin is being held to, maybe hold Crosby to the same.

He doesn’t make YOUR top ten because of your unnatural loyalty to Crosby and filtering everything Ovechkin does through him. Sorry but your fanboy mentality only weakens your opinion.

You brought up Crosby first. Crosby won a Championship with freaking Conor Sheary on his wing and d group of misfits.

I'm sorry, there's a lot of great players with 2 Championships. If Ovi achieves everything said in this thread and another Championship then he's Top 10 all time. If not then he's not.

Caps19842020

Feb 7, 2020
yes yes...there were no physical specimens back then either....give Hull a stick like Ovie...give them the equipment they sue today and blah blah blah......Jagr at 44 had 5 less points than Peak Ovechkin. Sorry bud.....

I just love when people bring up equipment used today as a reason to say thats the reason Ovi scores as much as he does! If the equipment is such a big deal then why isnt scoring way up across the board compared to 50s-80s? So, you mean to tell me every single player who has better training, equipment, coaching can't come close to amount of points thats was scored in decades past even with the advatanges? Hmm, Nah it couldnt be because better goaltending (Athleticism & styles) & goalie pad sizes coupled with better defensive strategies have slowed down scoring?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You brought up Crosby first. Crosby won a Championship with freaking Conor Sheary on his wing and d group of misfits.

I'm sorry, there's a lot of great players with 2 Championships. If Ovi achieves everything said in this thread and another Championship then he's Top 10 all time. If not then he's not.
He also won championships with Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, and Kris Letang. You constantly just limit the argument to line mates because you know who shares the ice with Crosby and who’s value can’t be denied. Don’t forget who carried Crosby in the finals and won the Smythe in ‘09 while he was carrying AHLers on his line.

And once again, pushing your bias standards against Ovechkin and moving goal posts to suit your agenda. He’s accomplished everything there is to accomplished, I’m sorry if that isn’t up to your standards, but thankfully your standards mean little to nothing considering how they seem to favor Crosby and everything Ovechkin has accomplished has to either match Crosby or be on par. Basically everything has to be about Crosby, and yet you wish to be taken seriously.

Ovechkin won a championship and a smythe. Nothing you can say, do, or argue is going to change that. I’m sure you were part of the crowd that denied his greatness because he didn’t have a cup and Smythe, but surprise surprise, the agenda changes. Weird how Crosby doesn’t have to win 8 Rockets or 3 Harts in order to be greater than Oveckin, but Ovechkin has to do everything else just to get your approval, which is laughable

I suggest you quit now, save yourself the embarrassment. You drool at the chance of belittling Ovechkin. And you clearly don’t have anything better to contribute to the conversation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

When their careers are over and Ovechkin has more points the argument will remain. Who was better? Magic or Bird?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Don't care about Crosby as that isn't the point of this thread. It is if OV is a top 10 player of all time and I say yes. Goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey and it's amazing he's been able to be so consistent in the modern era. The fact that he's putting up the numbers he is at his age is super human.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Both OV and Crosby are top 10, towards bottom of it. Whom you rank higher - goat goal scorer winger or goat grinder center is a matter of personal taste.
Gradually though, I think, after they retire, OV would be ranked higher by majority, since his title and highlight reel are more sexy.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I just love when people bring up equipment used today as a reason to say thats the reason Ovi scores as much as he does! If the equipment is such a big deal then why isnt scoring way up across the board compared to 50s-80s? So, you mean to tell me every single player who has better training, equipment, coaching can't come close to amount of points thats was scored in decades past even with the advatanges? Hmm, Nah it couldnt be because better goaltending (Athleticism & styles) & goalie pad sizes coupled with better defensive strategies have slowed down scoring?

Ovechkin plays in a sort of renaisance for goal scoring. Yea the 80's were extremely high, but Ovi can count himself lucky he wasn't playing from 95-05 all that much eh...

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Hull couldn't skate, hit or many other things like Ovechkin, in fact he did nothing better. Peak Ovechkin under Dale Hunter, sure bud.

yes peak Ovi...usually when you're in your mid to late 20's that's where you're at.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
LOL, how is this a thread? Unless he gets hit by a car or something he will at worst finish 2nd all time in goals. Pretty sure that puts you in the top 10. 8 Richard trophies.....

some peeps dont wanna place Jagr in the top 10 and he's second in points. There is a euro bias.

Reactions: Voight and Jedub

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Also what does playing more games have to do with being the better player? By this logic Coffey > Orr lol.

Maybe you should wake up to reality. If being among the best hockey players of all time would have nothing to do with playing a lot of games well, then Top10 all time would filled with players like Lindros, Bure, Dryden ... in stead of Howe etc.

Ovechkin had the best season since the 2006-05 lockout in 2007-08, so he'd be automatically among the best all time just due to that season?

Darryll Sittler is thus the best player of all time with his 10-point-game? Playing more games has nothing to do with being better!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad