Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
yes yes...there were no physical specimens back then either....give Hull a stick like Ovie...give them the equipment they sue today and blah blah blah......Jagr at 44 had 5 less points than Peak Ovechkin. Sorry bud.....
This keeps getting brought up in such sad attempts to belittle Ovechkin because posters like you have to hate him in order to feel secure about your own feelings. It’s Hilarious.

first, that wasn’t “peak” Ovechkin, so let’s get situated. Also, Oveckin lead the league in goals that year with 50, earned second team AS honors, and finished 6th in Hart voting. He also finished 15th in points, Jagr finished 22nd.

I love how you Ignore the basic details and context just to be able to benefit your agenda. Sure, it’s easy to say “Jagr finished 5 points back from PEAK Ovechkin! What a loser!” But let’s leave out his 50 goals and all star honors because they don’t matter apparently because one “off” year is enough for your standards to call Ovechkin inferior.

40 year old Jagr was also 3 points behind Selke contender Anze Kopitar. 43 year old Jagr also had 3 more points than a prime Steven Stamkos. What losers!!!

go outside and get some fresh air or something. Your crusade against Ovi is just pitiful and boring. Let it go, you might surprise yourself.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Jagr was amazing no doubt and was one of the most dominant offensive players ever. I think what makes their situation different though is consistency. Jagr arguably had a bigger peak/prime, but Ovechkin still walked away with 3 Lindsays and Harts while being the leagues best goal scorer.

It's a travesty Jagr didn't win more Harts(actually awarded is probably the right term since such awards are subjective).

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's a travesty Jagr didn't win more Harts(actually awarded is probably the right term since such awards are subjective).
Definitely. His ‘98 year was extremely dominant and he rightfully won, Probably would have won another in ‘00 if he didn’t miss so many games. Incredible that he won the scoring title with only 96 points and in only 63 games. Although losing to the likes of Hasek, Lindros, Thornton, and Sakic isn’t to shabby. All were deserving those years, but Jagr was rightfully in the mix with them.

Reactions: wetcoast

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Funny how you forget to mention the gap in points, points per game, games played that Coffey has on him?

They both have 4 cups & 3 Norrises. Coffey has 3 Canada Cups to go with it.

Coffey played longer, and had higher point shares even in individual seasons. Way more points & games. Did it with multiple teams, even some bad non-playoff teams.

The Islanders dynasty was built around Potvin, the Oilers were clearly not built around Coffey.
First defenseman to score 1,000 points.
Potvin in his career outscored every other defenseman by at least 200+ points.
Potvin was robbed from a 4th Norris (probably biggest snub in Norris history).

Most importantly your post only focuses on offense. When it comes to every other facet of the game (such as the most important for a defensemen: defense), Potvin is vastly superior to Coffey.

Also what does playing more games have to do with being the better player? By this logic Coffey > Orr lol.

I'm not saying Coffey was a terrible defenseman (he wasn't), I'm saying he's not one of the top 5-6 defenseman in history and Potvin is.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
yes yes...there were no physical specimens back then either....give Hull a stick like Ovie...give them the equipment they sue today and blah blah blah......Jagr at 44 had 5 less points than Peak Ovechkin. Sorry bud.....
Hull couldn't skate, hit or many other things like Ovechkin, in fact he did nothing better. Peak Ovechkin under Dale Hunter, sure bud.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin has always been the better scorer, nobody ever denied that. But let's not act like his playoff resume is on par with Crosby's.
He also never had the help Crosby had. Ovechkin has never been able to be held scoreless in a series while still having the luxury of his team pulling out the W, Crosby has multiple times. He's never had another gamebreaker until Kuznetsov until 17/18 and he didn't have a goaltender at all in his early years.

Context matters, always.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ya poor Ovechkin...he's stuck with a Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson on his team. They are all 4th line scrubs
Backstrom sure is able to take over series and break open games, definitely as good as Malkin...not saying he isn't a great player but he's always been a complimentary piece. One of the best complimentary pieces of the generation, but complimentary nonetheless. He's never been a key driver of play. I'm not trying to diminish him either, I love the guy but he isn't Malkin man.

Carlson has been a part of the team in a significant way for 4 years now and Kuznetsov is undeniably talented and the season he played to his potential they won the cup, while last year he was on a coke binge and couldn't skate the puck into the zone.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If Ovechkin surpasses Gretzky's goal record, he could end up with 1600 points. This would put him right behind Joe Sakic who has 1641 points. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
To me total package wise he is......goal scoring passing skating and most of all his physicality yes definitely he is.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Zubrus doubled his point output in Ovi's rookie year. Tell me more.

Young Ovi was electrifying. Last decade has been boring. I get you have to adjust your game with age. But camping out all the dot all game is a snoozefest. We get it bud you got one of the best shots all time but that doesn't = Top 10 all time.

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
Young Ovi was electrifying. Last decade has been boring. I get you have to adjust your game with age. But camping out all the dot all game is a snoozefest. We get it bud you got one of the best shots all time but that doesn't = Top 10 all time.
You clearly don't watch him at all. If all he has done in the last decade is camp around the dot, then how is he leading the league in even strength goals by a wide margin since 2010? You think he also just hangs around there @ES?

You have given countless weak explanations for your stance in this thread, basically all of which have been proven to be false (has never driven a line, only scores one way, not a playoff perfomer, etc, etc, etc) and still you refuse to see Ovi is easily an all-time great and probably as easily a top-10 player all time.

I know I am feeding a troll, but SouthGeorge, answer this: What if he ends up top10 (or even very close to that) in points after his career while also breaking the goal record? Should be pretty doable if he plays for 5-6 seasons after this one, which I think he will. You still have him only in 30-40 range?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You clearly don't watch him at all. If all he has done in the last decade is camp around the dot, then how is he leading the league in even strength goals by a wide margin since 2010? You think he also just hangs around there @ES?

You have given countless weak explanations for your stance in this thread, basically all of which have been proven to be false (has never driven a line, only scores one way, not a playoff perfomer, etc, etc, etc) and still you refuse to see Ovi is easily an all-time great and probably as easily a top-10 player all time.

I know I am feeding a troll, but SouthGeorge, answer this: What if he ends up top10 (or even very close to that) in points after his career while also breaking the goal record? Should be pretty doable if he plays for 5-6 seasons after this one, which I think he will. You still have him only in 30-40 range?

I don't see him getting Top 10 points. #1 goal scorer, Top 10 points, and 1 Championship would be in my 15-20 range. He gets another Championship with that then he's Top 10.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Well lucky for us style and preference don’t decide who is and isn’t a top 10 players, especially yours. You act like Crosby is the most electrifying player, standing in front of the net getting tip ins and dirty goals.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
#1 Goal scorer automatically puts him in top ten, especially given the era he scored them in...

No way

Well lucky for us style and preference don’t decide who is and isn’t a top 10 players, especially yours. You act like Crosby is the most electrifying player, standing in front of the net getting tip ins and dirty goals.

Crosby has carried AHLers to Championships. Playmaker who makes everybody around him better and scores a multitude of ways. Ovi is a goal scorer who scored a majority of his goals 2-3 ways. Arguably the best shot ever but that doesn't make you Top 10 all time. There's a lot of great players with 2 Championships. That's ultimately what it comes down to for Ovi to crack the Top 10 all time.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
No way

Crosby has carried AHLers to Championships. Playmaker who makes everybody around him better and scores a multitude of ways. Ovi is a goal scorer who scored a majority of his goals 2-3 ways. Arguably the best shot ever but that doesn't make you Top 10 all time. There's a lot of great players with 2 Championships. That's ultimately what it comes down to for Ovi to crack the Top 10 all time.

I've seen a lot of bad takes on this site. Hell, I've even made some myself. But to see someone try to claim that a player who's over a ppg, has a Stanley Cup, 8+ Richards, AND has beaten Gretzky for all time goal leader, isn't in the top ten...that is the worst ever.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
No, but his career isn't over, and amongst Top-10 players of all time, really only Bobby Orr had a shorter career (Well, Lemieux too, but it's not really "shorter")

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
No way

Yep, desperately moving the goalposts. Lol.

If the Caps win another Cup with Ovie, you'll say he needs three or he didn't do it back to back.

Keep snorting err... drinking that coke.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
No way

Everyone who uses championships as one of their main arguments automatically tears their credibility to shreds.

Add into that how you truly believe he just camps at the left dot or scores the majority of his goals “2 or 3 ways” and your credibility drops to about 0.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
I've seen a lot of bad takes on this site. Hell, I've even made some myself. But to see someone try to claim that a player who's over a ppg, has a Stanley Cup, 8+ Richards, AND has beaten Gretzky for all time goal leader, isn't in the top ten...that is the worst ever.
I mean, let's not speak of Ovechkin as if he has the goal record already. That opens up a can of bait worms and you're taking enough of it already. The bait, that is.

That said, it's refreshing to see that the qualifier for Ovechkin's greatness has shifted from needing to win just one cup to definitely needing two. Predictable. Sad. Hilarious. All of these things at once.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I haven't seen every hockey player, so my opinion is obviously not the most informed. But I have been following the league very closely since about 1988. For me (a Penguin Fan) he is already at or near top 10 and if he keeps going and passes Gretzky then is in the crowded argument for that #5 spot.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean, let's not speak of Ovechkin as if he has the goal record already. That opens up a can of bait worms and you're taking enough of it already. The bait, that is.

That said, it's refreshing to see that the qualifier for Ovechkin's greatness has shifted from needing to win just one cup to definitely needing two. Predictable. Sad. Hilarious. All of these things at once.

For a second there I was thinking that the thread was about "if" Ovechkin has the goal record.
But still, if he's in the top 3 goal scorers, let alone #1, he's easily in the top 10 all time.

Edit: Guy I originally responded to said that Ovi would only be top 15-20 if he was #1 in goals. That would be why I was thinking that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad