Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I understand if my opinion hurts your feelings but its MY opinion. I would never ever choose Ovie if I had to choose from all the wingers to a 6 vs 6 game. NEVER.
Which Ovie? 34 years old waiting in his circle or Ovie from 2008-2011 who demolishes everything scoring his 50 - Those are 2 different players but peoples memory is too selective. Dont Forget that Ovie these days conserve himself for his mission -didnt hitin too much and etc

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Brodeur is not even a Top 5 goalie of all time (Hasek, Roy, Plante, Tretiak, Sawchuk, possibly Hall and Dryden). His 2 goals scored is not enough to put him there. :)
I am not a brodeur fan by any means but how can you say the guy that has the most all time wins and shutouts by a large margin is not even top five all time?
Good defense in front of him or not, that’s pretty impressive.

That’s like saying Gretzky is not top forward because he played with so many good players it was easy to get points.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I am not a brodeur fan by any means but how can you say the guy that has the most all time wins and shutouts by a large margin is not even top five all time?
Good defense in front of him or not, that’s pretty impressive.

That’s like saying Gretzky is not top forward because he played with so many good players it was easy to get points.
Gretzky holds 64 records, including 8 MVP trophies. Brodeur had good longevity but he only started winning Vezinas after Hasek and Roy were done and never received any serious consideration for the Hart trophy. I live in NJ, I watched Brodeur. He is a fabulous goalie, and being #6 of all time is nothing to sneeze at. It's just the competition is so stiff.

"Wins" is a team category, and I never understood why goalies are credited with it. Otherwise Chris Osgood would be in the HHOF.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
If Ovie and Crosby would play against each other 10 minute periods, Crosby would win 10/10.

Yeah you're right, but it's not how the best player is decided. Team of 5 Ovechkins would likely lose to, for example, 5 Kovalchuks. Just like 5 Fedorovs or 5 Clarkes would defeat 5 Gretzkys or 5 Lemieuxs (Mario actually had a flaw Ovechkin is often accused of - he wasn't just a poor defensive player, he avoided playing defense very often). Being versatile is just one of the traits a player can have, and we have positions for players for a reason.

Is hitting allowed in this hypothetical 5v5? If we’re playing junior rules then sure this is a fun thing to think about. If we’re playing actual hockey I’m not sure the Crosbys could field a squad by minute 2 with six Ovis flying around out there.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Leads his generation in playoff goals per game (min 60 games), game winning goals, and overtime goals. The margins between Ovie and the next best in these categories range from significant to huge.

Your opinion in based on falsehoods.
Oh... So now pace matters?

Reactions: Sour Shoes

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's got to be way up there. He certainly is at, or past, Richard and Golden Jet territory. His ability to stay healthy, and be very consistent and durable, has been remarkable.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Pace always matters to some degree, but the importance and validity of the pace metric increases for the playoffs relative to the regular season because every player in the regular season has the opportunity to play the same number of games, whereas in the playoffs the quantity of games available to a player is largely due to factors outside their control: team talent, performance of the team for the ~ 2/3rds of the game when the player is not on the ice, and coaching.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Pace always matters to some degree, but the importance and validity of the pace metric increases for the playoffs relative to the regular season because every player in the regular season has the opportunity to play the same number of games, whereas in the playoffs the quantity of games available to a player is largely due to factors outside their control: team talent, performance of the team for the ~ 2/3rds of the game when the player is not on the ice, and coaching.
So it only matters when it helps your case.... Got it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is no doubt that Ovi winning a Cup has erased one big barrier to him being considered an all timer. If he wins another, or even gets to another Cup final, it will further validate him.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
So it only matters when it helps your case.... Got it

Oh come now you’re not this stupid. Of course pace comes into play when you’re discussing playoffs. One player can’t control how many games they’ve played.

Just like it would be foolish to argue Crosby hasn’t had the better playoff career regardless of which has played better in the postseason games they’ve participated in. Because Crosby’s played in more and accomplished more.

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
20 years from now, people are gonna look back on his career and realize how amazing it truly was. Top 10? Who knows. Everyone has a different opinion/personal bias.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
When you add postseason games in for both players Ovechkin has played 134 more games than Crosby. Crosby still has 37 more points despite that deficit. That's a ridiculous gap in offensive production.

I look forward to Crosby's additional playoff games being dismissed, while Ovechkin's additional reg season games vs the Southleast division are accepted. You cannot dismiss power play one-timers against the Thrashers in October... you just can't.

Reactions: Old Gregg

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
When you add postseason games in for both players Ovechkin has played 134 more games than Crosby. Crosby still has 37 more points despite that deficit. That's a ridiculous gap in offensive production.

I look forward to Crosby's additional playoff games being dismissed, while Ovechkin's additional reg season games vs the Southleast division are accepted. You cannot dismiss power play one-timers against the Thrashers in October... you just can't.
Anybody who has hockey knowledge knows Crosby is the better player. The stats are there for everyone to see. I’m not fooled by ovechkins goal totals. Though he is having a great season.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Naw. Ovie will have more playoff goals than Crosby soon enough.

Just like he will soon have more regular season even strength goals than Crosby has total goals.

No need to worry. :)
This just in, Jim! A goal scoring winger has more goals than a playmaking center! More news at 10.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
If Ovie Breaks grezky record he becomes a Goat - Guy who dominated this league at hardest thing -scoring goals.
You playmaking ability depends that your temmates skills as yours too. Cup are just team Trophies but outscoring Wayne will make Ovie Legend of this league. He can do individually that nobody cant even think about as possible. That will be fair individual achievment - unlike the number of cups or assists.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
If Ovie Breaks grezky record he becomes a Goat - Guy who dominated this league at hardest thing -scoring goals.
You playmaking ability depends that your temmates skills as yours too. Cup are just team Trophies but outscoring Wayne will make Ovie Legend of this league. He can do individually that nobody cant even think about as possible. That will be fair individual achievment - unlike the number of cups or assists.

Breaking an unbreakable record would be a legendary achievement, yeah. :)

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

You realize you just created a giant strawman out of nowhere?

also, what year are you in?
Ovechkin has one less goal in the playoffs in 37 less games. I think it’s safe to say he has been a better goal scorer in the playoffs, especially if you count the fact that he has only made it past the second round once.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Random hypothetical:

Player A scores 150 points a year for 10 years, then falls off a cliff and scores 30 for the next 8 before retiring.
Player A retires with 1740 points in 18 seasons.

Player B scores 120 points a year for 10 seasons and then drops to 75 for the next 8 years.
Player B retires with 1800 points in 18 seasons.

In a vacuum with everything else being equal (games played, trophies won, playoff appearances, etc. etc) who was the better player? Who had the better career? The player with the higher peak or the player with the longevity?

Curious people's opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad