Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Then you don't know what you're talking about. Kane has a grand total of ONE Hart and ZERO Richards. Selanne has ZERO Harts and THREE Richards. Bossy has ZERO Harts and TWO Richards.

Ovechkin has THREE Harts and EIGHT Richards, soon to be 9. He even has the same amount of Conn Smythes as Bossy and Kane. Plus he played more physical game than Kane, Teemu, and Bossy combined. He will have 700 goals soon. If this says "overrated" to you, you are simply a biased hater.
I respect your opinion. Ovie is great but in playoffs not so good, and in olympics and internationals he has been bad.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
So when does “it matter?” Playoffs? A Stanley cup or smythe ring a bell? That suddenly doesn’t matter? Sitting third currently in playoff points and PPG, while having one less goal than Crosby in 36 less games?

Your argument holds no weight. It’s literally useless.
Sorry my friend but you are wrong.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
So when does “it matter?” Playoffs? A Stanley cup or smythe ring a bell? That suddenly doesn’t matter? Sitting third currently in playoff points and PPG, while having one less goal than Crosby in 36 less games?

Your argument holds no weight. It’s literally useless.
Do you remember the Smythe talk? There was a fellow country man who was better than him.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Oh, I see. Ovie has never been the problem when the Caps lose in the playoffs. He has a pretty good track record in Game 7s. Not to mention his Conn Smythe.

Regular season, 110 GWGs. Playoffs 9 GWGs.

I'll take him in a big game. Not overrated as your ridiculous claim asserts.
Nice but still nothing special in playoffs. He is good but not great in my opinion. And for the love of god! Can people have their own opinion here or not?

Reactions: sanscosm

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I respect your opinion. Ovie is great but in playoffs not so good, and in olympics and internationals he has been bad.
I listed facts, not opinions. OK, Ovechkin is lacking in international tournaments... although remember, he is a 3x world champion and got the MVP of the tournament once, I believe, in 2008. Plus his goal on Canada in 2006 is pretty famous. But you are right, he yields to the three you listed. The problem is: he is so far beyond them in all other categories, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
I listed facts, not opinions. OK, Ovechkin is lacking in international tournaments... although remember, he is a 3x world champion and got the MVP of the tournament once, I believe, in 2008. Plus his goal on Canada in 2006 is pretty famous. But you are right, he yields to the three you listed. The problem is: he is so far beyond them in all other categories, it doesn't matter.
Stats are stats, Ovie was never able to win for example team Canada and even team finland was always better in international tournaments. There are players who are winners and players who are not.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Stats are stats, Ovie was never able to win for example team Canada and even team finland was always better in international tournaments. There are players who are winners and players who are not.
You know hockey is a team game, right? Plus, Ovy's Russia beat Finland 4-0 in 2008 World Championship. I know, I was there :)

Otherwise, keep ignoring the facts that I posted. *thumbs-up*

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You know hockey is a team game, right? Plus, Ovy's Russia beat Finland 4-0 in 2008 World Championship. I know, I was there :)

No matter what you tell him, he’s just going to say your wrong and try to make you the fool. Just ignore him. He’s obviously in here because he needs attention.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin

I know. I am not going to break downd that game but nice that you had that 2008 succes.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Nice but still nothing special in playoffs. He is good but not great in my opinion. And for the love of god! Can people have their own opinion here or not?
You can have your opinion, but you cannot have your own facts. When your opinion is directly refuted by facts, be prepared to change your opinion or simply come across as stubborn [mod].

Since 2006 Ovechkin has second most goals in playoffs, despite only making it out of 2nd round once. That's "nothing special"? A Conn Smythe is "nothing special"? Every team in NHL would LOVE to have a player like that on their roster.

Ovechkin is a DEFINITION of "special." He single-handedly made Capitals relevant again. The sheer number of tickets and merchandise he sold is second-to-none in this century. He's been a great ambassador of the game. His combination of incredible goalscoring, incredible health, incredible physicality, and incredible consistency is pretty much unparallel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
You can have your opinion, but you cannot have your own facts. When your opinion is directly refuted by facts, be prepared to change your opinion or simply come across as stubborn [mod].

Since 2006 Ovechkin has second most goals in playoffs, despite only making it out of 2nd round once. That's "nothing special"? A Conn Smythe is "nothing special"? Every team in NHL would LOVE to have a player like that on their roster.

Ovechkin is a DEFINITION of "special." He single-handedly made Capitals relevant again. The sheer number of tickets and merchandise he sold is second-to-none in this century. He's been a great ambassador of the game. His combination of incredible goalscoring, incredible health, incredible physicality, and incredible consistency is pretty much unparallel.
You can have your opinion. But for example Ovie was not the main player to win the cup. He was ok but only the second best russian.

Last edited by a moderator:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

That tells me more about the gap between Canada and Russia than it does Ovechkin as a player.

If he was born in Canada, would he not almost certainly have two Olympic golds? Or is Chris Kunitz more of a winner than him?

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
I understand if my opinion hurts your feelings but its MY opinion. I would never ever choose Ovie if I had to choose from all the wingers to a 6 vs 6 game. NEVER.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
That tells me more about the gap between Canada and Russia than it does Ovechkin as a player.

If he was born in Canada, would he not almost certainly have two Olympic golds? Or is Chris Kunitz more of a winner than him?
If if.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'd like keep Teemu Selänne out of all kind comparisons with OV, specifically those kinds that require putting one down for making other look better. If there are still some aspects where Teemu can be considered better than OV, they are likely gone when OV ends his career, and nobody in their full senses will find the question anyway unclear, least Teemu himself, who made very sincerely, happy, and uplifting public comment of celebration and congratulations when OV demolished his 684 record.

If there are something that will remain on Selänne, OV (or anyone else for very long time) can't break his Rookie goal and point records, and Teemu's Olympic records will be incredibly hard to repeat, even if normal Olympic 4 years cycle returns to NHL players' schedules: time has run out already for OV to break those. Selänne level longevity is also very rare thing, nobody can particularly declare for someone to have 10 years before those days of their aging career, but if I have to predict I think OV may very well be one of those players. Anyway, longevity still goes to Selänne at least until OV is firmly over 40 years old and still performing at high level.

Selänne isn't top 10 all time player, and haven't ever been, but he surely is one of Top 10 nicest hockey players ever.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If Ovie and Crosby would play against each other 10 minute periods, Crosby would win 10/10.
One of my favorite quotes is from early Capitals days, not sure who said it, but asked who would win one on one between Alex Semin and Alex Ovechkin: “oh, Ovechkin would never touch the puck.”

The only time this game is played one on one is in the shootout and even that’s a gimmick that has nothing to do with hockey to some people so the point you’re trying to prove here is a mystery to me.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I understand if my opinion hurts your feelings but its MY opinion. I would never ever choose Ovie if I had to choose from all the wingers to a 6 vs 6 game. NEVER.
Yeah you're right, but it's not how the best player is decided. Team of 5 Ovechkins would likely lose to, for example, 5 Kovalchuks. Just like 5 Fedorovs or 5 Clarkes would defeat 5 Gretzkys or 5 Lemieuxs (Mario actually had a flaw Ovechkin is often accused of - he wasn't just a poor defensive player, he avoided playing defense very often). Being versatile is just one of the traits a player can have, and we have positions for players for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad