Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hasek won six Vezina trophies. He was so far ahead of the pack that I couldn't justify leaving him off. He was that dominant.
I think there's a very real argument for Roy being right there with Hasek or even above him (though I do have Hasek at number one due to the strength of their respective teams). Roy's 3 Vezinas and 3 Conn Smythe trophies have to keep him real close.

Reactions: pitcher

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Why you make this a hyperbole? I did not say his goal scoring did not have any impact. Of course it had lot of impact. But Crosby has had bigger impact. 1.12 vs 1.29. Crosby is much better but has had worse luck with injuries. Just like Lemieux was better than Messier. Lemieux just had worse luck with missing games.

Crosby makes the optimal decision on ice more often than Ovechkin. Ovechkin spams shots. Not to say it is the worst decision in any situation but even with his great shot sometimes it is not the optimal decision. That is why Crosby has more points per game.
Skating blindly in to Steckle wasn't an optimal decision.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
14 goals in 7 games
3 hat tricks in 6 games
3rd player ever with 15 30 goal seasons (Gretzky and Howe are not the other 2)
2nd player ever with 11 40 goal seasons
3rd player ever with 8 50 goal seasons
leading the league at 34 years old
LOL enjoy the ride hockey fans
(and non-fans continue to try to twist stats into a negative narrative I guess? It's amusing seeing posters spending a lot of time with dozens and dozens of posts trying to knock him down)
Luck..
Those numbers most certainly didn't have a positive impact an success. .IMPACT!!!

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
You forgot to read about the "etc". He's in there with Malkin (and McDavid is on his way)

Hart Trophies: 3-2 for Ovie
Pearsons / Lindsays: 3-3

So they are pretty even on that front.

What separates Ovie to a tier of his own from Crosby/Malkin is his all-time records - 8 Rockets, already 8th all-time in goal scoring, and pretty sure to get 2nd all time, maybe even 1st all time - and that's in the most competetive/even era of the NHL, with the cap, draft, 30-31 teams etc. And his peak was higher. Better peak, better career.
I’ll pick 2 (amongst many others) who id love to see your argument of why you have them ahead of Crosby. Selanne and Sakic, let’s hear your case.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I’ll pick 2 (amongst many others) who id love to see your argument of why you have them ahead of Crosby. Selanne and Sakic, let’s hear your case.
How is Ovechkin not ahead of Selanne? Sakic is a different story, although I think it’s closer between the two than many would like to admit. Ovechkin has a good argument for Sakic, don’t see how he hasn’t already passed Selanne though.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
How is Ovechkin not ahead of Selanne? Sakic is a different story, although I think it’s closer between the two than many would like to admit. Ovechkin has a good argument for Sakic, don’t see how he hasn’t already passed Selanne though.
I have Ovechkin easily ahead of both.

My comment is in reference to the other poster having Selanne and Sakic above Crosby on his list.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s feasible Ovie ends his career first in goals and anywhere from 10-15 in total points. I think it’s pretty tough to argue against him. He’s a physical beast, changed his game to be a winner and has the longevity and consistency of a legend. He’s seemingly ageless right now. This could be one of the greatest post 30 goal scoring seasons ever.

Reactions: max21

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Better than Teemu, IMHO. Sakic is a different matter. He was an amazing player and is definitely underrated on these boards.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Selanne? He was worse than Ovechkin at basically everything bar speed maybe (when young). The only thing Selanne has on his side is his international resume which is great whilst Ovechkin's well...terrible.

Reactions: Sentinel

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He for sure have a case for top 10 player, and greatest goalscorer, of all time but in no way is he going to make it a "big 5".

Reactions: Sentinel

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Hasek won six Vezina trophies. He was so far ahead of the pack that I couldn't justify leaving him off. He was that dominant.
Oh I get ya. He was disgusting and if he had longer career he would have probably held the records brodeur has. I am no brodeur fan by any means but ya gotta give the guy his due. He’s the best goalie of all time.
He has the most wins all time, and is 140 wins ahead of Roy in second.

125 shutouts is first by over 20 shutout lead on sawchuk who’s second.

Hasek has two more vezinas then brodeur but Marty has a Stanley cup and conn smythe.

Plus he had two goals! Lol

Actually come to think of, I would put sawchuk ahead of Roy I think.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Oh I get ya. He was disgusting and if he had longer career he would have probably held the records brodeur has. I am no brodeur fan by any means but ya gotta give the guy his due. He’s the best goalie of all time.
He has the most wins all time, and is 140 wins ahead of Roy in second.

125 shutouts is first by over 20 shutout lead on sawchuk who’s second.

Hasek has two more vezinas then brodeur but Marty has a Stanley cup and conn smythe.

Plus he had two goals! Lol

Actually come to think of, I would put sawchuk ahead of Roy I think.
Brodeur didn’t win a conn smythe, although his ‘03 run was in the conversation. I think Hasek did more to stand out, don’t forget what system Marty played for and who was in front of him. Hasek was by far Buffalos best player and carried them year in and year out. But Marty’s career as a whole is hard to ignore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad